The Student Room Group

Do you think with a voice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I definitely think in a voice there have been a few times where I actually started moving my lips because I was thinking too hard.
Reply 21
Never have
I do usually think in my voice but if I'm remembering something specific then it's someone elses :smile:
Original post by clh_hilary
Yes.

When I think, I do-so with your voice.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Original post by EarthlingyThingy
When I think, I do-so with your voice.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

You must be so lucky, to have my angelic voice in your head.
Original post by Birkenhead
Interesting. Could you elaborate? Is it a natural thing or do you consciously do so, and for what reason?

I think with a voice and most people tell me they are the same. The interesting thing to me is a friend of mine is German but had lived in this country 10 years. He can't tell me exactly when but his thinking changed from German to English as he spoke more in English.

Apparently when he's in Germany he speaks German but his head is talking in English to him.

Well I find it interesting anyway lol
Reply 26
To those that don't, how do you 'realise' thoughts?
I think you've exploded my brain, because now I can't think anything

I guess I do...but mostly I think in pictures or images...sort of imagining the scenario as if I was watching myself.
Well yeah, I think in my voice. It has my accent. :lol: Hence why I suck at doing other accents. I tried making myself think in a Liverpudlian accent once, it just felt weird. I'm trying Yorkshire now. Badly. When I was doing German in school I tried to think in German all the way to the exam, my thoughts got very repetitive because my vocabulary isn't fantastic. I can sing a lot better in my head than in real life though, it's always disappointing when I hear the noise that comes out when I sing :lol:
(edited 10 years ago)
Yeah, I think most people do it. Language is a very intrinsic part of human nature, this being a major reason - it helps us to think.

What is particularly interesting to think about is how people who have been deaf since birth narrate their thoughts in their heads. We had a lady come into one of our lectures who was in this position - she said she narrated her thoughts via imagery in her head, so she thought in pictures rather than words.
Yes I do ... except that my voice in my head differed in terms of pronunciation and slang.

For instance, that voice could speak better pronunciation of English but when I had to think something out loud, my vocals kinda being adapted to my countrymen's way of talking, so it's not easy to get it right. (Maybe it's social adaptation at work ...)

Anyway, do you consider earworms?
Reply 31
I want to say I think in words without a voice attached? Although if I'm focused on something specific, then I 'hear' a voice similar to what I hear when I speak normally.
Original post by Birkenhead
Much of the time in films and the like characters are presented as thinking in voice, ie they have a voice in their head that speaks their thoughts. Obviously this serves the dramatic purpose of sharing with the audience what is going on in their head but I've always wondered whether there are individuals who do so in their everyday life.

How do you think? Do you think with a voice? Do you make the conscious decision to imagine a voice narrating your thoughts or does it happen naturally? Or perhaps do you visualise the words of your thoughts in your mind as they come, consciously or naturally? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts (aha).

Yes but I also think n pictures as well as a weird language that doesn't directly translate into English. I dunno how to explain. My thoughts are a weird mash of voice, pictures, emotion
Nope, I just read things and look at the words. Never think about how they sound even when I say things, which is probably why I say so many stupid things! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, I kind of hear this voice in my head when i think, but I'm not really sure if it's a voice. I mean, it's hard to explain. I feel like I'm hearing a voice, but it's not the same as physically hearing a voice.
Yeah, I do.
Reply 36
Any other contributions?
Reply 37
Mostly in the form of a voice, yes.

Quick Reply

Latest