The Student Room Group

Guy in friendship group is starting to creep me out.

Or at least make me really uncomfortable. I'll try and explain as briefly as I can.

I'm in a complicated friend group, with a range of ages (partly due to the structure of the course) I'm on of the youngest at 20, and he one of the oldest at about 30. Never really a problem, everyone gets on fine though there is a slight age split due to home life differences etc... except hes kind of latched himself onto me. Didn't think anything of it to begin with and outwardly he's very friendly but as its gone hes started to creep me out.

I think he likes me. He pretty much asked me out for dinner and I said no, it was awkward at first but I thought we got past it. He's just not my type and never will be. Recently though its started getting weird. Like he keeps complementing me and to over people in front of me. He seems like hes cataloging everything I tell him as he can list things I don't even remember saying (in a way that goes beyond normal just taking an interest). He makes assumptions about my life and what which he then relays onto other people (he taken to think I hate my little sisters and has made a couple of incredibly offensive remarks about them).

He's also started speaking for me, and almost acting like we're in a pair? Like if we're all in the group he'll say something like "me and (my name) are going to do this". If someone asks me a question like what questions are you doing, he'll reply over me. Even something like, 'oh your hair looks nice', he'll reply first saying he likes it. He say'll things like she doesn't use Facebook or text to people if they ask me for my number/to message them just because I try not to him.

He's also started insisting on things practically trying to force me to do things.Like if I mention a dental or doctors appointment he'll insist on being there and won't take no for an answer. We had a project do do recently and he insisted on helping me then tried to write the thing for me. It's the age thing more than anything. He's just too old for me and he's an incredibly dominant person where as I need independence.

I don't know what to do. I've tried distancing myself i.e. not texting, make of point of talking to others in the group but it's complicated. We all meet up for study sessions and its quite close knit, and its difficult when hes about to extract myself from him but I don't want to leave the group because the others are great and I'd see them all day to day anyway . About alking to others, I don't know if they've picked up on anything as he's incredibly friendly. It's just putting all the little things together. I don't if I'm overreacting but I just don't know what to do :frown:

Scroll to see replies

I think you should just tell him. I had a situation like this and I just told them that I didn't like what he was saying and now wer fine, so just be brave and tell him. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Least you have someone who cares about you lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
1. Tell him to stop.
2. Confide in someone else in the group and ask for their help if he carries on - so that they can help you if similar happens again. It's easier to over-rule him if you can raise your eyebrows at a third person and you can both act in tandem to put a stop to it.
Reply 4
^When I said no to dinner I made a point that I didn't see him like that. I've also tried to say at the time when he says something that I don't like yet he keeps doing it. Theres also been times where I've tried to hint. Me and a couple of the girls were talking, just random chat and he came and joined in. We were talking about guys we'd like and I made a point that I only really go for them around my age etc.... Then later on he'd started trying to match what I'd said, like saying he only had a mental age of 21 (he dropped out of university the first time round about 20 then spent the next ten years living at his parents doing pretty much nothing)

Like I don''t know how more direct I can get without getting insulting, and I don't know if he'd really listen.

^^Ha, I'd gladly swap if you'd like. I'd love to not have to deal with it :tongue:
Reply 5
OP, you need to tell him to seriously back off. If he doesn't desist then tell the other friendship members that he's making you uncomfortable and he's being too forceful towards you, hopefully he'll back off if they all tell him to stop too.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
We were talking about guys we'd like and I made a point that I only really go for them around my age etc.... Then later on he'd started trying to match what I'd said, like saying he only had a mental age of 21 (he dropped out of university the first time round about 20 then spent the next ten years living at his parents doing pretty much nothing)

lmao this guy's a natural

Let me guess, this guy is a 30 year old that has rarely had any experience with women and so is trying to leverage his age and 'experience' in to looking after a younger woman to hope she will give him attention. And his social skills are poor hence he can't pick up on the fact you don't like this attention.

The only way for it is to tell him outright you're not interested and his persistence is just becoming annoying and you feel uncomfortable. Until you do this he will carry on and you will spend the whole time on your course wishing he wasn't around.
Reply 7
I'll give telling someone else a shot. It's just difficult to explain the group dynamic over the internet and I'm worried that'll it'll just come across as what are you on about type of thing. He is a really nice/friendly person, I just felt increasinly uncomfortable around him and finally thought it all out and firgured it out tonight. I'm not sure if anyone else will pick up on it.

It's also because its part of my course. It's a very small department and I'm going to have to see him/the same group of people for next year and a bit. I'm still not sure if I'm just overreacting, and I don't want to start any rifts or send out wild accusations.
Reply 8
I think its easy for people to advise you to just talk to him but of course that's not necessarily straight forward. If you feel you can tell him that you appreciate his support
but you feel a bit uncomfortable then great, but if not I'd possibly talk to some of the others in the group about how you feel uncomfortable and maybe theyl be able to subtly support you when he's getting wierd when your in a group together.

It sounds like the poor guy has a crush on you and is just going about it terribly.
Reply 9
Get someone to talk to him and tell him to back off.
This is quite disturbing and potentially dangerous behaviour. Please confide in some people and ask them to tell him to stop this. Failing that report him to the uni.
He could be obvious of your discomfort. He could believe that you two are friends and might be trying to be supportive when he accompanies you to appointments. But you don't like him and will probably find everything he does to be creepy.
Still, if he's bothering you, you should let him know. No point letting him feel that the relationship he's invested time into is existent.

If he's violent or threatening then seek help.
OP you are not over reacting. Please have more faith in your opinions and trust your gut instinct, if something feels uncomfortable or wrong then there is a reason for it (in your case as you've identified controlling and obsessive behaviour, crossing boundaries, not taking no for an answer). Its understandable that the friendship group dynamics make things difficult for you to deal with as understandably to don't want to cause ripples especially as you mention this person is so friendly thus have people turn against you or accuse you of stirring trouble. Put yourself first and be firm with him.

If you have to be a bitch and end up offending him so be it - he had this coming if he refuses to recognize and respect your individual thoughts and feelings. Also it is inadvisable to try to 'fix' him or show him the error of his ways through rational dialogue; think about it, after the way he has been behaving do you really think he will change his behaviour or suddenly have an epiphany of self awareness that hasn't surfaced to date? And for the love of all things sane ignore people who minimize this as a poor guy just having a crush on you. People who have crushes don't act like this especially at the ripe age of 30.
Or at least make me really uncomfortable. I'll try and explain as briefly as I can.

I'm in a complicated friend group, with a range of ages (partly due to the structure of the course) I'm on of the youngest at 20, and he one of the oldest at about 30. Never really a problem, everyone gets on fine though there is a slight age split due to home life differences etc... except hes kind of latched himself onto me. Didn't think anything of it to begin with and outwardly he's very friendly but as its gone hes started to creep me out.

I think he likes me. He pretty much asked me out for dinner and I said no, it was awkward at first but I thought we got past it. He's just not my type and never will be. Recently though its started getting weird. Like he keeps complementing me and to over people in front of me. He seems like hes cataloging everything I tell him as he can list things I don't even remember saying (in a way that goes beyond normal just taking an interest). He makes assumptions about my life and what which he then relays onto other people (he taken to think I hate my little sisters and has made a couple of incredibly offensive remarks about them).

He's also started speaking for me, and almost acting like we're in a pair? Like if we're all in the group he'll say something like "me and (my name) are going to do this". If someone asks me a question like what questions are you doing, he'll reply over me. Even something like, 'oh your hair looks nice', he'll reply first saying he likes it. He say'll things like she doesn't use Facebook or text to people if they ask me for my number/to message them just because I try not to him.

He's also started insisting on things practically trying to force me to do things.Like if I mention a dental or doctors appointment he'll insist on being there and won't take no for an answer. We had a project do do recently and he insisted on helping me then tried to write the thing for me. It's the age thing more than anything. He's just too old for me and he's an incredibly dominant person where as I need independence.

I don't know what to do. I've tried distancing myself i.e. not texting, make of point of talking to others in the group but it's complicated. We all meet up for study sessions and its quite close knit, and its difficult when hes about to extract myself from him but I don't want to leave the group because the others are great and I'd see them all day to day anyway . About alking to others, I don't know if they've picked up on anything as he's incredibly friendly. It's just putting all the little things together. I don't if I'm overreacting but I just don't know what to do :frown:

I'm in a similar situation :frown: It's really annoying because I have constantly put my foot down, yet the guy in my situation is too persistent. But don't give up. Tell him you are NOT interested.

PM me if you want.
(edited 10 years ago)
OP you are not over reacting. Please have more faith in your opinions and trust your gut instinct, if something feels uncomfortable or wrong then there is a reason for it (in your case as you've identified controlling and obsessive behaviour, crossing boundaries, not taking no for an answer). Its understandable that the friendship group dynamics make things difficult for you to deal with as understandably to don't want to cause ripples especially as you mention this person is so friendly thus have people turn against you or accuse you of stirring trouble. Put yourself first and be firm with him.

If you have to be a bitch and end up offending him so be it - he had this coming if he refuses to recognize and respect your individual thoughts and feelings. Also it is inadvisable to try to 'fix' him or show him the error of his ways through rational dialogue; think about it, after the way he has been behaving do you really think he will change his behaviour or suddenly have an epiphany of self awareness that hasn't surfaced to date? And for the love of all things sane ignore people who minimize this as a poor guy just having a crush on you. People who have crushes don't act like this especially at the ripe age of 30.

I'm in a similar situation with a friend of mine - won't stop asking me out, constantly expecting to come over to my home, constantly expecting me to come to his Church, and constantly asking me why whenever I say no. Clearly he cannot take rejection.

In the OP's case they are clearly red flags. I would say stand firm. In my case I have been incredibly firm and assertive yet the guy will not take no for an answer. I am considering ditching him. OP, if he is not getting the message, perhaps consider ditching him? I know it's harsh, but he is clearly not listening to you.
I'm in a similar situation too, I'm 19 and he's like I dunno mid 20's.

Recently I went to my tutor at college and told her about it because I was starting to feel very uncomfortable about it. The first day we met he followed me home and I being shy was too polite to ask him to leave me alone. Today he came round to my house uninvited and expected me to let him in, which of course I didn't. Made me very uneasy.

In college he speaks over me when I try to speak assuming he knows what I want to say, obviously he doesn't. He also comments on my body "men don't usually like...." and for some reason he also thinks he can comment on my family, which I find quite upsetting and uncalled for. I recently got all my uni offers back and I got an offer from my first choice and was over the moon, he then tried telling me not to firm it because I 'wouldn't like it'..

I suggest you tell someone like a tutor or teacher or whatever and try and get something sorted. He's making you uncomfortable and you shouldn't have to deal with it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Hello OP I do not think you are over reacting to the situation you find yourself in, I think a lot of people have already given good advice on the matter such as getting someone to talk to him for you either someone in your group of friends or a teacher, someone of higher standing in the institution however I am thinking maybe the teacher thing may be a bit much but this does not mean you cannot talk to one for advice.

I was also thinking maybe if there is a male friend within the group you do get on with just be closer friends with him more as a way to show this older guy you are sort of taken although you don't have to necessarily date this friend. Sometimes all a guy who likes you a bit too much needs is a sign that he can't have you anymore and he may lose interest.

As others have said you can perhaps confront him yourself obviously this may be a bit hard for you considering the difference in age and due to male and female physical differences in size but sometimes you just have to get a bit more assertive, if you keep being a nice silent lady he will continue to walk over you. Maybe talk it over with a friend and at a good time talk it over with him, having a friend there would also be good for you for evidence purposes if it does get more serious.

I am surprised that none of your friends have noticed any unusual behaviour between you and him or seen a change in you. This is something I would notice in a friend, simply from body language and would most likely help out.

Hopefully it all goes well and you do not need to deal with this sort of stress anymore.
(edited 10 years ago)
I'll give telling someone else a shot. It's just difficult to explain the group dynamic over the internet and I'm worried that'll it'll just come across as what are you on about type of thing. He is a really nice/friendly person, I just felt increasinly uncomfortable around him and finally thought it all out and firgured it out tonight. I'm not sure if anyone else will pick up on it.

If you need to tell someone about it, could you perhaps show them what you wrote here, on tsr?
Original post by physicsbook
I'm in a similar situation too, I'm 19 and he's like I dunno mid 20's.

Recently I went to my tutor at college and told her about it because I was starting to feel very uncomfortable about it. The first day we met he followed me home and I being shy was too polite to ask him to leave me alone. Today he came round to my house uninvited and expected me to let him in, which of course I didn't. Made me very uneasy.

In college he speaks over me when I try to speak assuming he knows what I want to say, obviously he doesn't. He also comments on my body "men don't usually like...." and for some reason he also thinks he can comment on my family, which I find quite upsetting and uncalled for. I recently got all my uni offers back and I got an offer from my first choice and was over the moon, he then tried telling me not to firm it because I 'wouldn't like it'..

I suggest you tell someone like a tutor or teacher or whatever and try and get something sorted. He's making you uncomfortable and you shouldn't have to deal with it.

I had a similar situation where a guy tried to 'come with me' to my house, but he tried to be so subtle about it. I put my foot down and told him no, and he told me he felt 'hurt', then he asked me why I wasn't interested in him even though I had explained myself previously.
Looks like a case of the friendzone-rebel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending