The Student Room Group

Dad insisting on girls-only accommodation at uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by saarah_
I've read what you said and your other thread. First and foremost, I'm sorry you're going through such a terrible time in your life but don't you think living with females would be good for someone in your position? I'm sure you'll meet great girls who will offer you the emotional support you need in order to cope. It seems like your dad is very persistent so there's no chance you'll get him to change his mind. My advice, just go along with it, living with girls will have its perks, for example one of your housemates could introduce you to their hot friend.

Just go along with it, that way, your dad gives you a break and once you're in uni, you can do whatever the **** you want.

Yeah I think I'll just go along with it :smile: Just waiting on the reply from the uni- Thanks for your posts
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Tell him you're an adult and old enough to make your own choices. And that he has to respect that, and trust you.

In the history of all parent child conversations, this has never worked....
Original post by Origami Bullets
People aren't just randomly running around halls bonking. In fact, it's generally reckoned to be a Very Bad Idea to shag your housemate, because of the ensuing awkwardness.

Not all unis will let you choose a girls' only hall / flat, but if yours does you could either
- tell your dad that you emailed to request an all girls flat, but unfortunately they were unable to fulfil this. You will, of course, try and change asap once you get there :wink:
- move into an all girls hall, and then move into a mixed hall a couple of weeks later.

Though your dad seems to have an unhealthy view of you as an adult / child, what happens at uni, and the capacity of young men to not rape anything that moves.

FWIW I've lived with boys for three years (and this year I'm the only girl), and nothing untoward has ever happened.

How's it awkward after...

its only awkward if the guy sucks, or the girl sucks. If it's great sex its not awkward
Reply 83
Original post by damnation
Yeah I think I'll just go along with it :smile: Just waiting on the reply from the uni- Thanks for your posts

Not a problem, I hope I've helped. No good ever comes out of saying to your parents 'I'm an adult and I don't care what you have to say to me', it's easy for them to say but when you have parents who happen to be quite 'narrow-minded' (my dad is SLIGHTLY old-fashioned), it has dire consequences.
Reply 84
Original post by IntriguedUser
How's it awkward after...

its only awkward if the guy sucks, or the girl sucks. If it's great sex its not awkward

It's awkward because you have seen each other completely naked, that's why it's awkward. Even more awkward if it was drunken sex.
Original post by saarah_
It's awkward because you have seen each other completely naked, that's why it's awkward. Even more awkward if it was drunken sex.

What's wrong with seeing someone completely naked?

Are you like 5 years old, grow up for blooming sake lol
Reply 86
Original post by IntriguedUser
What's wrong with seeing someone completely naked?

Are you like 5 years old, grow up for blooming sake lol

I didn't say it's awkward for me but that's what most people would say, chill out bro.
Reply 87
Original post by Pride
You can't really just do whatever you want...

Unless she has some obligation (eg. Parents paying) or a religious reason, which op has said is not an issue (although some are saying otherwise), then her opinion should count for something. Even a compromise.

If her parents are paying and do not wish her to take a loan, her situation is unfortunately dependent on them and the best she can do is make a good case for what she wants.
Reply 88
Original post by bramley
Unless she has some obligation (eg. Parents paying) or a religious reason, which op has said is not an issue (although some are saying otherwise), then her opinion should count for something. Even a compromise.

If her parents are paying and do not wish her to take a loan, her situation is unfortunately dependent on them and the best she can do is make a good case for what she wants.

Yes, I'm kind of speaking on a moral level, rather than a legal one. If your parents say don't live with boys, then it's not like you're going to say 'I will live with boys if I want to, because I'm old enough to not be controlled by you' and go and disregard what they say. You would try to argue your case, but if you can't get compromise, you would follow their instructions. Unless it was a serious infringement on your quality of life, and an order aimed at making you worse off.

I mean, social norm and morals tell people to obey their parents. Especially if you're only of the age of a school leaver. You could probably in theory ignore what they say, I mean, it's probably a matter of a simple click of a button, with all this stuff being online now. But hey, your parents are there, they are likely to have influence on your decisions, especially as they are likely to be your sponsors (the student loan doesn't normally cover all your costs).

Similarly, if you were a parent, and you instructed your 18 year old child to do something, you would expect them to obey.
Reply 89
Original post by Pride
Yes, I'm kind of speaking on a moral level, rather than a legal one. If your parents say don't live with boys, then it's not like you're going to say 'I will live with boys if I want to, because I'm old enough to not be controlled by you' and go and disregard what they say. You would try to argue your case, but if you can't get compromise, you would follow their instructions. Unless it was a serious infringement on your quality of life, and an order aimed at making you worse off.

I mean, social norm and morals tell people to obey their parents. Especially if you're only of the age of a school leaver. You could probably in theory ignore what they say, I mean, it's probably a matter of a simple click of a button, with all this stuff being online now. But hey, your parents are there, they are likely to have influence on your decisions, especially as they are likely to be your sponsors (the student loan doesn't normally cover all your costs).

Similarly, if you were a parent, and you instructed your 18 year old child to do something, you would expect them to obey.

I see your point, and some families are more strict than others. Although if I was a parent with a child of 18 or over I wouldn't really expect them to 'obey' me. I'd like them to take my opinion on board, but I wouldn't really take it any further than that.
But it totally depends on your background to be quite honest. In terms of OP it seems her family aren't too lenient.

Let's just hope that she can either work around it or come to a compromise. At the end of the day whatever accommodation she's in she will obviously come across members of the opposite sex, so she can either argue that to her father for the case of the accommodation she wants, or she can just accept having single sex accommodation and be happy with just seeing guys outside of that.
Original post by damnation
I'm Druze, not everyone considers that muslim

I just want a normal uni experience, and he needs to learn not to control my social life until I get a job

Where are you going ? Just tell him that they don't have single sex halls or don't include him in the halls application form just send it of and hay presto you are in halls

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending