The Student Room Group

Geography/Geology

Hello, I'm thinking of doing either a Geology or Geography degree at uni (depending on whether my subjects are suitable). I study Maths, Geography, English Lit, and Spanish. I'm wondering if there is any work experience available for those wanting to do this course and if not is there any work experience related or useful towards this degree? I'm 16 in my first year of A Level. Please and thank you :smile:
Original post by danimorais
Hello, I'm thinking of doing either a Geology or Geography degree at uni (depending on whether my subjects are suitable). I study Maths, Geography, English Lit, and Spanish. I'm wondering if there is any work experience available for those wanting to do this course and if not is there any work experience related or useful towards this degree? I'm 16 in my first year of A Level. Please and thank you :smile:

I'm also planning to do Geology. Getting work experience in Geology appears to be incredibly difficult/impossible, and as far as I understand, Universities are not expecting you to have work experience. However, there is a scheme called the Nuffield Research Placement which is basically a 4 week placement in the summer holidays. You can request to do a geology related project, which would look brilliant on your personal statement. But you'll need to hurry - the deadline for Greater London is the 31st March and the deadlines for other regions have already passed.
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
I'm also planning to do Geology. Getting work experience in Geology appears to be incredibly difficult/impossible, and as far as I understand, Universities are not expecting you to have work experience. However, there is a scheme called the Nuffield Research Placement which is basically a 4 week placement in the summer holidays. You can request to do a geology related project, which would look brilliant on your personal statement. But you'll need to hurry - the deadline for Greater London is the 31st March and the deadlines for other regions have already passed.

Exactly. I've heard how hard it is to get Geology related work experience! Thanks so much, I'll apply now! btw what subjects do you take at a level? I'm not sure if my subjects are good enough but if not, a Geography degree is my back up
Original post by danimorais
Exactly. I've heard how hard it is to get Geology related work experience! Thanks so much, I'll apply now! btw what subjects do you take at a level? I'm not sure if my subjects are good enough but if not, a Geography degree is my back up

I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and German. So nothing directly Geology related, but it does give a good base skill set. If you do get onto the Nuffield scheme, please let me know. If I get into it, it'd great to know someone else doing an earth sciencey project.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending