The Student Room Group

How to do well in your studies when you have severe depression?

I've had depression for nearly 7 years now, but in the past few weeks I've been having a hard time in general, which has led to my depression getting worse. I'm constantly feeling down/have no energy/no motivation to do anything. I'm doing my A2's and don't want to fail but I don't feel up to doing any work. I don't know what to do about it.. has anyone else been through a similar situation or know anything that may help?
Hi, Honesty you cannot do well in your studies or in any anything if you have depression. You need to address first the cause of your depression and then how to combat and overcome it. Relaxation and meditation are best way to combat depression. Relax and have good times with your family and friends. Meditate and pray soothe our spirit.
Reply 2
Original post by juliajustine89
Hi, Honesty you cannot do well in your studies or in any anything if you have depression. You need to address first the cause of your depression and then how to combat and overcome it. Relaxation and meditation are best way to combat depression. Relax and have good times with your family and friends. Meditate and pray soothe our spirit.

Terrible advice! Depression can be debilitating, yes, but often it just isn't possible to put your entire life on hold in the hopes that you'll find a complete cure.

OP, having made it through a university degree despite suffering from depression pretty much throughout it (and still getting a 2:1 :king1:), the absolute most important thing is to ask for and accept as much help as possible! Talk to school/college, your GP, your friends and family, and see what help and support is available. Prioritise the things you really want/need to do well in (although remember that your health is still the number one priority, don't jeopardise it just in order to get good grades), and have realistic expectations of what you can achieve. So if necessary drop one subject to make more time for another, or see if you can take more time to do things (I studied part-time so as to have less stress over studying - it's not the norm, but exceptions can usually be made).

You're at a disadvantage, yes. But depression is like any other disability - with help and understanding you can still achieve success in most areas despite it. There are limits of course, and I'd avoid putting yourself in too many stressful situations, but don't let an illness put you off from doing well in life!

Quick Reply

Latest