The Student Room Group

Are Skullcrushers necessary to get big arms?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
What I have (I think) is ulnar nerve subfluxion where the nerve snaps round the funny bone when I bring my fore-arm close to be bicep and it isn't painful but it just feels like something's not right. I could do Skullcrushers but restrict the range of motion quite a lot? When I do overhead extensions with a dumbbell I can go to parallel without pain but the nerve still snaps round the funny bone

Posted from TSR Mobile
You need to do a overhead tricep extension to hit the long head. If you want that horse shoe definition, then hit all heads with exercises that place great emphasis on them separately.

You wouldn't only do rows for your back and forget about pull ups etc. Why? Because different exercises places emphasis on different areas within a given muscle group.

I've been doing skull crushers/ slow concentrated rope push downs. Which has resulted in a more defined/prominent 'horseshoe'. Dips and close grip bench press will help with overall mass, but they did not help me with the 'horseshoe' as much as skull crushers and rope push downs.

Horseshoe tricep action [Note, the guy is in this picture is not natural. But the picture itself gives you an idea of the tricep 'horseshoe'.

Tricep anatomy. Designate an exercise for each head.
Reply 22
Original post by ROONEY-9-MUTD
You need to do a overhead tricep extension to hit the long head. If you want that horse shoe definition, then hit all heads with exercises that place great emphasis on them separately.

You wouldn't only do rows for your back and forget about pull ups etc. Why? Because different exercises places emphasis on different areas within a given muscle group.

I've been doing skull crushers/ slow concentrated rope push downs. Which has resulted in a more defined/prominent 'horseshoe'. Dips and close grip bench press will help with overall mass, but they did not help me with the 'horseshoe' as much as skull crushers and rope push downs.

Horseshoe tricep action [Note, the guy is in this picture is not natural. But the picture itself gives you an idea of the tricep 'horseshoe'.

Tricep anatomy. Designate an exercise for each head.

What about this for a tricep routine (do triceps after chest)

1. Seated overhead DB extension/Skullcrushers with slightly smaller ROM
2. CGBP with tricep bar
3. Pushdowns with V bar (3 second negatives)

Posted from TSR Mobile
skullcrushers is a isolation exercise. To build muscle do compound exercises like close grip bench.
Reply 24
No exercise is necessary to get a big anything. Pick exercises you can do for triceps and constantly cause adaptation through a. increasing reps or b. increasing weight. When you have 18 inch arms start bothering with which head your hitting but for now, pick stuff that doesn't hurt and progress it
Idk whether your doing ICF however this is Blaha's opinion

Reply 26
All you need is dips and bench press. No dumbells, no cables, no curled bars. Just stick with the big compound movements and keep it nice and basic.
Original post by Stinkum
All you need is dips and bench press. No dumbells, no cables, no curled bars. Just stick with the big compound movements and keep it nice and basic.

I strongly disagree. The idea that nobody ever needs isolation movements is mostly pedaled by people who just discovered working out and want to feel superior to the curl-boys.
Reply 28
Original post by e aí rapaz
I strongly disagree. The idea that nobody ever needs isolation movements is mostly pedaled by people who just discovered working out and want to feel superior to the curl-boys.

I never said they're useless. They're just inefficient and time consuming. Why would you want to isolate a single muscle group when you could be spending your time on doing compound movements like the bench press and weighted dips? To me, it makes no sense.
Original post by Stinkum
I never said they're useless. They're just inefficient and time consuming. Why would you want to isolate a single muscle group when you could be spending your time on doing compound movements like the bench press and weighted dips? To me, it makes no sense.

The whole point of isolating a muscle is that you want to stimulate development of that particular muscle. So to say "why isolate a muscle when you can do a compound movement" kinda makes no sense.

Your triceps will develop faster/better if you do compounds AND isolations. So for somebody who wants to develop their triceps, that is the best way.
Reply 30
Original post by Stinkum

Because theres only so much bench and dips you can do before your shoulders blow out. they're inefficient to the point if you can only do one or the other then a compound is the best choice, but you don't have to choose, so don't...
Original post by mrhedgehog
skullcrushers is a isolation exercise. To build muscle do compound exercises like close grip bench.

Original post by Stinkum

your tricep long heads must feel lonely....
Original post by Reps4Jesus
What about this for a tricep routine (do triceps after chest)

2. CGBP with tricep bar

Posted from TSR Mobile

2. CGBP with tricep bar

That should be good for triceps. Also hit triceps after chest. Some guys at my gym hit biceps after chest and then do their triceps the next day, which is stupid as they have pre exhausted their triceps with the push exercises.
Original post by Stevo_Mc
No exercise is necessary to get a big anything. Pick exercises you can do for triceps and constantly cause adaptation through a. increasing reps or b. increasing weight. When you have 18 inch arms start bothering with which head your hitting but for now, pick stuff that doesn't hurt and progress it

Your triceps make up a massive proportion of your arm. If you hit each head then 18inch arms will become a reality.

QUICK question:

So for your chest if you hit your upper pec with incline presses, then you won't hit your lower pec with decline presses? since you've done an exercise that has hit a certain part of your chest already.
Or do you believe that incline presses will build as much muscle within your lower pec as it does in your upper pec.
Reply 34
Also am I better doing CGBP with tricep bar or a regular bar? Does a certain grip for CGBP's determine which head is hit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by Reps4Jesus
Also am I better doing CGBP with tricep bar or a regular bar? Does a certain grip for CGBP's determine which head is hit?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. The plane that changes how much your tricep is stretched determines which head is hit. Grip width is not that one - the one perpendicular to it is but move somewhere useful along that plane and you end up with something resembling skullcrushers anyway.

Considered seeing a physio?
Original post by Stevo_Mc
Because theres only so much bench and dips you can do before your shoulders blow out. they're inefficient to the point if you can only do one or the other then a compound is the best choice, but you don't have to choose, so don't...

Shoulders blow out? Your form must be shocking.
You need to understand that your muscles are comprised of several heads/sections.
For example, for shoulders you would hit your lateral deltoids with cables/db side raises after hitting your anterior deltoids with military press.
Reply 37
Original post by ROONEY-9-MUTD
Shoulders blow out? Your form must be shocking.
You need to understand that your muscles are comprised of several heads/sections.
For example, for shoulders you would hit your lateral deltoids with cables/db side raises after hitting your anterior deltoids with military press.

He's on your side mate.
Reply 38
they are great for the triceps, I prefer using a dumbell than the EZ barbell. Big triceps are the key to big arms, not big biceps and I would say yes it is, but you may have enough tricep exercises in your regime.
Reply 39
Original post by tooosh
No. The plane that changes how much your tricep is stretched determines which head is hit. Grip width is not that one - the one perpendicular to it is but move somewhere useful along that plane and you end up with something resembling skullcrushers anyway.

Considered seeing a physio?

I actually tried doing Skullcrushers behind the head with an EZ bar today and my elbow felt fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest