The Student Room Group

Japan is what we should base our society on.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Drewski
To be fair, our toilets make us do things, it's the Japanese toilets that encourage laziness - everything being done by buttons.

Original post by Ggmu!
Tbh until toilets don't do the job adequately, I don't think they'll change much here lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Drewski: sorry for trying to make life easier. We shouldnt of invented any of the stuff that made life easier in that respect.

Ggmu!: we need a toilet tax to encourage toilet innovation is most likely the british answer

Excuse me i am off to use the old victorian

Bill
Reply 41
Original post by Bill_Gates

Ggmu!: we need a toilet tax to encourage toilet innovation is most likely the british answer

Excuse me i am off to use the old victorian

Bill

In all seriousness, toilet paper is SUCH a waste. Surely the toilet could have an anus cleaning system?

Top man, Bill.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The only countries that would get a positive reception to aspire to are the Nordic countries, Canada and maybe Australia.
Original post by caravaggio2
Not long ago the Government were ****ting themselves with the police past breaking point, it was only cold rain that stopped London an several other cities turning into ungovernable hellholes as violence spread across the nation.
The Japanese sat open mouthed watching what was going on here.
I am sure they would have a good laugh at any one here putting down their society.

Exactly this. Yobos protesting about nothing. That would never happen in Japan. Good, honest working people
Reply 44
Original post by uktotalgamer
Exactly this. Yobos protesting about nothing. That would never happen in Japan. Good, honest working people

And highly racist.
I'd be more inclined to base our society on that of nordic countries.
Original post by Ggmu!
In all seriousness, toilet paper is SUCH a waste. Surely the toilet could have an anus cleaning system?

Top man, Bill.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Been thinking about this recently, the anus cleaning system. Dragons den next week?
Original post by Drewski
And highly racist.

were you studying there?
Reply 48
Original post by Bill_Gates
Been thinking about this recently, the anus cleaning system. Dragons den next week?

I'll get the prototype made.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't they have a population crisis going on atm?
Reply 50
Original post by Table dust
were you studying there?

I was working on Hokkaido. Never felt as uncomfortable in all my life as I did when walking around some of the local towns, the staring, people backing off, crossing the streets to avoid me, kids pointing at me in the street... I know I'm tall(ish) by British standards, so almost gigantic by Japanese standards, but that really took me by surprise.

Original post by Advanced Subsidiary
Don't they have a population crisis going on atm?

Yeah, that's a negative thing; they have very little sex.
Reply 51
You're looking at the positives and totally ignoring the negatives. It's a corrupt, socially backward country still reeling from the effects of Westernisation. I'd rather have a society based on the principle of liberalism, liberty and free will than a society based on social conservatism and extremely dated views.

It's comparable to the Last Samurai film in that the samurai were portrayed as these peaceful and loving people and the state as a tyrant when it was rather far from the truth.
(edited 10 years ago)
The whole 'superior technology' stereotype seems to come from the multitude of gadgets and gimmicks they produce, like they'll take something that already exists and stick an LCD display on it or something. We have all the same technology, we just don't use it to put food on conveyor belts or make our toilets talk. The Cracked article and others like it seem to suggest the average person in Japan is actually behind us in terms of modern conveniences and luxuries. Plus they have a huge problem with social withdrawal and young people basically becoming recluses. I've also heard that bullying and sexual harassment are pretty big issues over there.
Reply 53
Original post by uktotalgamer
I've been watching a few documentaries on Japan as of late and quite a few things stood out. Firstly, the guy who was doing the documentary said he went to a supermarket and in the car park most of the cars were left with their engines running without a driver, with the people inside doing the equivalent of a weekly shop. That level of trust is unbelievable.

The second thing was that there's vending machines on each corner for convenience. Now if that was the UK they'd get beaten up and destroyed.

I'm not saying there's no crime in Japan because there is. They still use capital punishment and about 10 people a year get killed through it. But the crime is different. It's not much crime compared to ours and the punishments are more severe.

Add to this the impact of social media in Japan. They are ahead of us technology wise. Yet their society isn't effected by it. There are no Japanese girls found taking #selfies or whatever. There's respect.

Their society has morals. Something we are seriously lacking over here.

you cant just change a countries culture, it is ingrained and what works for one country may not work for others. japan has a lot of problems, especially related to their economy, ie lack of growth, and their foreign policy, ie not getting on well with neighbouring countries.
Reply 54
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I'd be more inclined to base our society on that of nordic countries.

YES. I've been saying this for years.
Reply 55
Christ no! Cowardly little gooks who experiment on/eat dogs while beating off to virtual reality big breasted women? I'd much rather stick with the fantastic old Etonian elite we've got taa.
The Japanese are incredibly racist, they are in the midst of a 25-year economic depression, gender roles are rigid, consumerism is rampant, husbands are so overworked that they go to all-you-can-drink bars until 2 in the morning, people are sexually repressed, men grope women on the train, the architecture is brutalist, the country is ridiculously Tokyo-centric, the house prices are sky-high, they eat disgusting raw seafood, most consumer goods are sickeningly infantilised, it rains all the time and is unbearably hot in the summer, the office culture is authoritarian, it's impossible to have a career if you're a woman, you have to follow all these stupid codes of politeness and gift-giving that usually translate into spending loads of money on exquisitely gift-wrapped crap...

Essentially Japan is exactly like the UK except sort of a weird mirror image at the other end of the continent. Still, I would love to go and live there. They have a rich history and amazing forward-thinking technology at the same time.
Reply 57
I think you're not giving the UK enough credit with crime rate. Its been going down for donkeys years.
Reply 58
c'mon bro, thats not even slightly true, first of all the Japanese are extremely friendly (Not racist, I've been), especially compared to the UK. Second, its the same as any other developed nation. Its like the difference between America and the UK, but with a language barrier. The Internet lies, did no one teach you that...Or are you too socially backwards?

Get of you Great British High Horse and just accept, Japan has both flaws and perks, just don't come up with crap like; There is lots of rape! or they are Racist! cos its not true...
(edited 10 years ago)
We should be more viking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending