The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Homosexuality - What people think.

The majority of people do not support homosexuality. This is obvious, throughout every country there are more people against homosexuality than for it. Its an illusion that more people are for it, because as a result of peer pressure and society, people pretend to be for it.

The bible clearly teaches it's wrong as does the Quraan, however the Quraan does not directly condemn being homosexual, but the acts of homosexuality, for obvious and justifiable reasons. Hinduism and Sikhism are also against it. A large percentage of Atheists and are also opposed to it, for the reason of natural selection and so on...

I am personally mixed on the topic, I don't have anything against homosexual people, however I am against homosexual acts. Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve, basically if everyone was homosexual we would decrease in number if proper reproduction was not happening.

What are your opinions?:five:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dr.Khan
The majority of people do not support homosexuality. This is obvious, throughout every country there are more people against homosexuality than for it. Its an illusion that more people are for it, because as a result of peer pressure and society, people pretend to be for it.

Nice unfalsifiable conspiracy claim there.

Also, what do you mean 'support'? Does a lack of opposition constitute support in your eyes?

The bible clearly teaches it's wrong as does the Quraan, however the Quraan does not directly condemn being homosexual, but the acts of homosexuality, for obvious and justifiable reasons. Hinduism and Sikhism are also against it.

And a good job we don't base our law on any religion then.

A large percentage of Atheists and are also opposed to it, for the reason of natural selection and so on...

[citation heavily needed]

I am personally mixed on the topic, I don't have anything against homosexual people, however I am against homosexual acts.

So in other words you are against homosexual people, as you're against them doing something that you wouldn't be against were it heterosexual.

if everyone was homosexual

Which they're not, so irrelevant.

we would decrease in number if proper reproduction was not happening.

Why would that be a bad thing?
Reply 2
Original post by Dr.Khan
The majority of people do not support homosexuality. This is obvious, throughout every country there are more people against homosexuality than for it.

Lies. Simply untrue. If you're going to state an absolute fact; back it up.

I am personally mixed on the topic, I don't have anything against homosexual people, however I am against homosexual acts. Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve, basically if everyone was homosexual we would decrease in number if proper reproduction was not happening.

Clearly you're not, or you wouldn't present it the way you have done.

And reproduction rates are falling even in countries with very very small numbers of homosexuality.

What are your opinions?

That you're a fool.
Reply 3
Original post by Dr.Khan
Its an illusion that more people are for it, because as a result of peer pressure and society, people pretend to be for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I personally disagree with you on this point. I do not 'pretend' to stand up for the right of the LGBTQ community, I do it because I believe it is the right thing to do. I don't see the problem with 2 adults being together in a consenting relationship regardless of gender or sex.
Original post by Dr.Khan

Yeh, this is a strong argument. After all, if everyone was a doctor, then there would be no-one to grow food and everyone would die. Which is why being a doctor is wrong. :dry:
Reply 5
Original post by Dr.Khan
The majority of people do not support interracial relationships. This is obvious, throughout every country there are more people against interracial than for it. Its an illusion that more people are for it, because as a result of peer pressure and society, people pretend to be for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have adapted your original post slightly, and instead of homosexual couples I have put interracial couples as an example. Now you argument would sound like something from the 1940's... It's time to realise that 2 people can be in love regardless of race, gender, eye colour etc...
Original post by Dr.Khan
A large percentage of Atheists and are also opposed to it, for the reason of natural selection and so on...

Don't agree with this. Natural selection is the reason we are here but it has no bearing on my opinions on matters. We have a population of over 7 billion people; if someone wants to not have children whether they're in any kind of relationship, gay or straight, I couldn't care less.
It is hard to argue against someone who claims to know what people are thinking even if they claim otherwise.

It would be like arguing with someone having psychotic delusions.

Anyway….my opinion is……if you don't like homosexual acts then *don't* do it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
To put it incredibly bluntly, I don't give a ****. I'm not a person who actively campaigns for gay rights nor do I desire to however if I see someone harassing a gay person just for being gay I'd tell them to back the **** off and mind their own damn business. I'd expect someone to do the same for me if I got harassed for say, being an agnostic theist (far less common of course). Can't control what you feel any more than you can control what you believe so if you dislike gay people, kindly keep it to yourself.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Whilst I don't whole heartedly jump up and scream support for homosexuality, I equally am not bothered by it much. I do have opinions on it but not once have those opinions ever been verbalised.

If people can just go about their business without throwing it in the face of other people, then that's fine.
Original post by DorianGrayism
Anyway….my opinion is……if you don't like homosexual acts then do it.

Do you mean don't do it? :tongue:
I have some news for the OP. Most people are not remotely interested in who does what. If people engage in perverse sexual practises including sodomy behind closed doors then so be it. It is not something that right thinking people need to dwell on.
Original post by PythianLegume
Do you mean don't do it? :tongue:

Hahaha….Yes….I will change it.
This post is stupid. I am a Christian and yes, I'm aware homosexual acts are a sin in the bible, but so are many other things like lying, which I am guilty of. After 'love your God' the most important commandment is loving your neighbour, which you are not honouring, in my opinion, by homophobic views. The bible also tells us not to judge others. It's not our place. Jesus loved everyone.

Religion is no excuse for being homophobic, well at least for me as a Christian, I can't speak for other faiths.

There seems to be a 'us' and 'them' attitude towards homosexuality. First and foremost we are all just people and your sexuality doesn't make you any worse or better than anyone else.

And a lot of atheists are 'opposed'. Evidence?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Dr.Khan

The bible clearly teaches it's wrong as does the Quraan, however the Quraan does not directly condemn being homosexual, but the acts of homosexuality, for obvious and justifiable reasons. Hinduism and Sikhism are also against it. A large percentage of Atheists and are also opposed to it, for the reason of natural selection and so on...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Homosexuality is absolutely rampant in the Muslim world for the same reason it is rampant in prison. There are no girls doing it. All the thing of it being a sin and beheading offenders is just a smoke screen. Muslims are at it for the same reason Catholic priests are. Denial of sex to single men has consequences.
Reply 15
1. Religion is belief. It's unfair and impractical to take religious teachings very seriously and use them to support negativity. The sole foundation of most religions is love and tolerance. Just because one person in the Bible, Qur'an and whatever else, says it is wrong that does not mean that God or Jesus affirm what that person has said. If you're that easily led, considering the Bible's contents was decided by Priests years ago and could be totally biased decisions, then you're one embarrassing human being.

2. "If everyone" that's so poor. I really don't see the issue. Adam and Eve was obviously a complete load of rubbish. We'd all be incest surely? Why was that wrong for centuries and centuries if it was such a Biblical thing. Two people on the whole of the planet, just two, cannot mean anything other than incest occurred with their offspring. Plus, maybe God intended for them to populate the planet but not to show that SEX is FOR reproduction.

3. Obvious my backside. Nothing is ever obvious when it comes to this topic because all people do is condemn it, at every corner, with some religious teaching or a passage from a holy book or some off his nut leader's political views. Get over it. Two people are in love. God wouldn't have wired up humans to feel such feelings towards a man or a woman if he didn't intend for it to happen between two of the same sex.

The number of threads on The Student Room regarding this topic is just ridiculous. All you want to do is spur on debates that cause a great deal of people incredible upset over something they probably wish they could change but can't. I don't see what love does to cause you misery and to be honest, if two people want to have sex and they're men or women, then who are you to say no? You can't say anything because, using God as the argument, God is the judger, he is the one who passes judgement and was always meant to be so, not you. Just so frustrating. Live and let live instead of worrying yourself about something you never have to experience. Why women seek religious extremists who decide they just want to have a sexual relationship with them for their children and not for love is beyond me. I suspect most religious men probably use that little teaching as an excuse to get as much sex from a woman as possible and by the way, the mouth wasn't meant for blow jobs, the hands not for hand jobs but you don't sit there moaning about that. Only anal. Because it's common in a minority you don't see eye to eye with or essentially, dislike. Get over yourself.

Done.
Original post by Dr.Khan

Are you referring to Britain or worldwide? If it's the former then polls suggest otherwise. If it's the latter then I am sure the majority of the world's populace would vote in favour of ridiculous things, such as criminalisation of blasphemy, etc.

And, frankly, what the majority of people think is pointless and irrelevant. I am sure the majority of people would vote to abolish tax if given the chance - where would that lead us?

The bible clearly teaches it's wrong as does the Quraan, however the Quraan does not directly condemn being homosexual, but the acts of homosexuality,

The bible does not "clearly" teach that it is wrong, there is a lot of debate on this.

for obvious and justifiable reasons.

Like?

Hinduism and Sikhism are also against it.

So what? We should not be governed by the whims of religion.

What are you on about? Any evidence for this? And why would they cite natural selection as a reason?

I am personally mixed on the topic, I don't have anything against homosexual people, however I am against homosexual acts.

Because your religion tells you to.

Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve,

Maybe it should have been Adam and Steve - look how Adam and Even turned out (i.e. ****ing up the rest of eternity for humanity).

basically if everyone was homosexual we would decrease in number if proper reproduction was not happening.

This is conjecture as it is never going to happen - should we be against infertile people because of the extremely unlikely notion of them taking over the majority of the populace?

Furthermore, people should be embrace homosexuality in light of the growing risk of over population.
Reply 17
Original post by battycatlady
This post is stupid. I am a Christian and yes, I'm aware being homosexual is a sin in the bible, but so are many other things like lying, which I am guilty of. After 'love your God' the most important commandment is loving your neighbour, which you are not honouring, in my opinion, by homophobic views. The bible also tells us not to judge others. It's not our place. Jesus loved everyone.

Religion is no excuse for being homophobic, well at least for me as a Christian, I can't speak for other faiths.

There seems to be a 'us' and 'them' attitude towards homosexuality. First and foremost we are all just people and your sexuality doesn't make you any worse or better than anyone else.

And a lot of atheists are 'opposed'. Evidence?

I know you're supporting homosexuals in this post right but homosexuality is not a sin in the Bible. Two men having sex is. Not being gay. A fraction of gays actually have sex in that way. Take me for example, I'm gay and find it disgusting it has no appeal to me whatsoever but Live and Let Live.
Reply 18
There is genuinely no reason to be against same-sex relationships, so it upsets me how many people think like you do. I've yet to hear an argument that doesn't boil down to: ''I've been told it's wrong, so it is.''

It's passive thinkers like this, which lets there be so much discrimination in the world. Bystander behaviour.
Original post by JayJay-C19
I know you're supporting homosexuals in this post right but homosexuality is not a sin in the Bible. Two men having sex is. Not being gay. A fraction of gays actually have sex in that way. Take me for example, I'm gay and find it disgusting it has no appeal to me whatsoever but Live and Let Live.

Yeah you're right sorry, just got carried away writing the post, will edit it :smile: no offence meant :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending