The Student Room Group

Software Engineering

Hi there,

I wanna study a course (bachelors degree) to be able to build software programs, as well as design games and so forth.

But, I have no idea on what exactly to study. There are so many courses and options. I am kinda confused. What exactly should I go in? I don't wanna go into something, only to learn later I did not choose the right field. Or, are my dreams just too big :colondollar:, LOL? Like, is there more than one course that I have to do, to be able to design stuff?

I see:
- Computer Science
- Computer Programming
- Software Development
- Software Engineering

Also, are there any free books or info I can use to actually start learning about my field, to get a grasp of how software and programming works? Like self-study?

Thanks all
Reply 1
Computer science is the most general and will give you the most options when you graduate. Try Codecademy if you want to start programming (Python is fine to start with.)
Reply 2
Original post by Damask-
Computer science is the most general and will give you the most options when you graduate. Try Codecademy if you want to start programming (Python is fine to start with.)

Thanks a million, will check it out right away.
Reply 3
"Design stuff"... That is so vague.

- There are many programming languages out there, most universities focus on Java.

- If you want to learn more than one language, you're going to be looking at universities like Edinburgh, UCL etc...

- When you first start the course you're not going to be able to design anything... You're barely going to have any programming experience, you might learn some basic object oriented programming which you can manipulate.

- Computer science isn't all about programming, it has a lot of theory in it.

- Search for computer science course outline and structure at the universities you want to go to... Then pick the one that best suits your needs.
Reply 4
Original post by 0xygen

- There are many programming languages out there, most universities focus on Java.

- If you want to learn more than one language, you're going to be looking at universities like Edinburgh, UCL etc...

Pretty sure there isn't a top 30 for compsci that doesn't teach at least two languages, and a lot start with Python or C++.
Reply 5
Original post by Damask-
Pretty sure there isn't a top 30 for compsci that doesn't teach at least two languages, and a lot start with Python or C++.

I haven't really gone through every university course structure, but from what I've seen most mainly focus on Java. They teach C++, C#, HTML and others, but not nearly as much as Java.

Ones I've seen:

Warwick, Leicester, Brunel, QMUL, Nottingham.
Reply 6
Original post by 0xygen
I haven't really gone through every university course structure, but from what I've seen most mainly focus on Java. They teach C++, C#, HTML and others, but not nearly as much as Java.

Ones I've seen:

Warwick, Leicester, Brunel, QMUL, Nottingham.

They pick whatever the industry standard is at any point and stick with it for like five years, you might find C# becomes the language of choice in one or two. (Just so you know, HTML isn't a programming language.)

From a quick check, Warwick also teach Haskell, Leicester teach PHP, QMUL also teach C and C++, and Nottingham also teach PHP, JavaScript and Haskell. That was what I could get from less than five minutes on their respective CS pages.
Reply 7
Original post by Damask-
They pick whatever the industry standard is at any point and stick with it for like five years, you might find C# becomes the language of choice in one or two. (Just so you know, HTML isn't a programming language.)

From a quick check, Warwick also teach Haskell, Leicester teach PHP, QMUL also teach C and C++, and Nottingham also teach PHP, JavaScript and Haskell. That was what I could get from less than five minutes on their respective CS pages.

Can you please post a link of the QMUL one? I couldn't really see that...
Reply 8
Original post by 0xygen
Can you please post a link of the QMUL one? I couldn't really see that...

Have a look at these.
Reply 9
Original post by Damask-
Have a look at these.

Hmm, thanks. They only touch on C and C++ programming... E.G. C++ for image processing.

Also, looks like QM lecturers cba to proof read their lecture notes:

http://gyazo.com/dcef43cbc0cda527020aba54d4fda7c9

LOL
Reply 10
Original post by 0xygen
"Design stuff"... That is so vague.

- When you first start the course you're not going to be able to design anything... You're barely going to have any programming experience, you might learn some basic object oriented programming which you can manipulate.

- Computer science isn't all about programming, it has a lot of theory in it.

- Search for computer science course outline and structure at the universities you want to go to... Then pick the one that best suits your needs.

It is vague cos I don't have an idea on what exactly to study, that is why I explained what I wanna be able to do when I am complete :biggrin:!

Seriously? :eek:

I wanted to go for software development but the guy above and a few others advised me on computer science.
Reply 11
Original post by Damask-

You are correct, I checked out the ones offered here and they had C++ and Java!
Hey

I am going to university this year (September) and am going to study Software Engineering. I need to purchase a new computer however i am undecided on whether to purchase a Mac or a regular windows PC, any ideas please?
Reply 13
Original post by newstudent2014
Hey

I am going to university this year (September) and am going to study Software Engineering. I need to purchase a new computer however i am undecided on whether to purchase a Mac or a regular windows PC, any ideas please?

This should be in its own thread, but hey. It really doesn't matter. If you get a Mac, I'd recommend installing Bootcamp so you have the option and then you have the best of both, but neither will put you at a disadvantage.
Reply 14
Hey, so what do you guys think about this course, should I do it?
http://www.unisa.ac.za/qualifications/index.asp?link=http://www.unisa.ac.za/qualifications/Qualifications/02089ISE.html

If not, please help me decide on another from this list for software development :colondollar:, from any of the sections:
http://www.unisa.ac.za/qualifications/index.asp?link=http://www.unisa.ac.za/qualifications/Navigation/CSET_ALL.html

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending