The Student Room Group

FRENCH AS/A level phases help! exams soon ... revision

Hello, so I'm studying French currently at AS level and its getting closer and closer to exams, im quite nervous as I don't feel ready and I was wondering if anyone had some really good 'wow' French phases that would impress? and also if you had any revision help etc.

Just looking for general phrases on the 'usual' topics if any one has them handy and wouldn't mind sharing then it would be a BIG help!
In particular I was hoping to get some phrases on:
Holidays
Entertainment (tv etc)
family/relationships
Health issues like Aids

Any help greatly appreciated!
Reply 1
I'm also studying French AS Level I don't feel prepared for it either but the Mot à Mot books are good for sentence structures and have loads of vocab in them! Also some idiomatic sentence structures my teacher gave us are-
Avoir du pain sur la planche- To have to much on your plate *Avoir la pêche- To be on top form *C'est la croix et la bannière- Something is unreasonably difficult *Ce n'est pas la mer à boire- Something is not that difficult *Pour moi, ___________ c'est le pied/ c'est le bonheur- For me__________ it's the best *Voler de ses propres ailes- To become independent *Il n'y a pas mort d'homme- It's not the end of the world *En avoir ras le bol de- To be fed up with something *Travailler d'arrache-pied- To work really hard
Also it could be useful to add in some subjunctives like Bien que- Although, Pour que je puisse- So that I can, Il faut que- It's necessary that. I hope this helps! Bonne Chance! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you! I'll look into getting that book, and the sentences you wrote will be really useful for the topics we have got to cover ... fingers crossed for us both :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by annacd14
Avoir du pain sur la planche- To have to much on your plate *Avoir la pêche- To be on top form *C'est la croix et la bannière- Something is unreasonably difficult *Ce n'est pas la mer à boire- Something is not that difficult *Pour moi, ___________ c'est le pied/ c'est le bonheur- For me__________ it's the best *Voler de ses propres ailes- To become independent *Il n'y a pas mort d'homme- It's not the end of the world *En avoir ras le bol de- To be fed up with something *Travailler d'arrache-pied- To work really hard

All of these sentences are familiar, you can't use them in a written essay and I don't know what is the expected register of language in the oral exam. These expressions would be useful for a friendly chat, but not for a formal/professional talk.

The translations are unequal. For instance, "c'est le pied" can't be translated into "For me__________ it's the best ". The correct translation would rather be "It's damn good!"
Can you say that during your exam?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending