The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Jobs in Lancaster

Is it pretty much impossible to get a part-time job in Lancaster? 'Cause I think I'm probably going to need one to have any disposable money at all really, since no-one wanted to hire me here for the summer :frown: But I'd imagine with a university down the road with thousands of students it must be pretty tough to get one? How would you go about getting one? Just wait 'til I get there and then start sending letters etc out ASAP?
Reply 1
Count Zero
since no-one wanted to hire me here for the summer

Join the club mate! Noone wanted to hire me either, not for lack of trying though....:biggrin:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
I totally agree with u 2! I try n try but just get no-where :frown:
Where abouts near manchester do u live? :smile:
i'm goin to have to try and get a job. i could always go to heysham port and do favours for sailors.
Reply 4
Okay people.

Advice.

Get your backsides to Lancaster (if you can) and give in your CV where ever possible.

If you prepare now, you're in for more of a chance.

I work for Marks and Spencer in Preston (which is down the road from Lancaster). I would honestly recommend trying there cos there is the added bonus of getting a transfer back to a store near you in the holidays. I know lots of people who do this. I decided not to transfer and go home to work cos it isn't that far away.
Reply 5
LubyLoo
Okay people.

Advice.

Get your backsides to Lancaster (if you can) and give in your CV where ever possible.

If you prepare now, you're in for more of a chance.

I work for Marks and Spencer in Preston (which is down the road from Lancaster). I would honestly recommend trying there cos there is the added bonus of getting a transfer back to a store near you in the holidays. I know lots of people who do this. I decided not to transfer and go home to work cos it isn't that far away.

so do u work in preston term-time then? how long is it to preston on the train- bout 10-15 mins?
n i thought lancaster is meant 2 be a city - so why arent there hardly any shops lol
Reply 6
There are shops in Lancaster (although not many!), I agree with Luby though, you have to get in early. If you really want a job it is possible, you just have to keep looking. Me and my housemate looked really half-heartedly in the first year and gave up really quickly, but we both got jobs in the second year, which we kept right up until we left in June.

Obviously the fact that you're a student can cause problems at some places because they don't want all their staff leaving them for months at a time. When you're looking, try places that will be busier when students are around, e.g. bars, restaurants etc, and also there are some jobs avalible on campus (obviously competition is tough, but they're pretty well paid and there's no problem with going home in the holidays).

Plus, before I left I heard that will be some new places built/opening (I know the New Look is moving to bigger premises and were looking for more staff), so keep your eye out once you're there and you might get lucky. Also check the job board (in the LUSU building), it has vacancies on campus and for Lancaster and the surrounding area.
Reply 7
thanks for the advice

just my luck, here i work at Morrisons and they said i can transfer to a nearby store, thing is Lancaster doesnt have one, just a Tesco and Sainsburys if i remember rightly
Reply 8
Mr. Mike
thanks for the advice

just my luck, here i work at Morrisons and they said i can transfer to a nearby store, thing is Lancaster doesnt have one, just a Tesco and Sainsburys if i remember rightly

They have a Morrisons in Morecambe (about 40-60 minutes on the bus from the uni).

Though, I used to work there, and didn't particularly enjoy that store.
Reply 9
yeah not a big fan tbh but it means i get some money in i guess.

how frequent are the buses to Morcambe?
You'd have to get a bus to the bus station (every 15 minutes at uni) then get one to morecambe (they come every 15 minutes as well).
Reply 11
I'd imagine bar work would be available at least?
Reply 12
luke88
I'd imagine bar work would be available at least?

Yes, but I'd suggest getting in there early. Especially if you want to work on campus.
Reply 13
yeah i'm guessin while its probably available it's what a l;arge proportion of students will be looking for

Latest

Trending

Trending