The Student Room Group

Sneaking into next year lectures a year before

Hi,

I'm currently a second year uni student and I sneaked into one of my third year modules a few times. Next year could I run into any issues because of this?

I attended about ~5 lectures last semester only and it's a core module. Thanks in advance :smile:
No. I assume no one is keeping a register and the lecturers are unlikely to remember a face.

I often go to lectures in other subjects. If they are going to charge me £9k a year, then I'm going to get money's worth.
Reply 2
Original post by Quantex
No. I assume no one is keeping a register and the lecturers are unlikely to remember a face.

I often go to lectures in other subjects. If they are going to charge me £9k a year, then I'm going to get money's worth.

Ah, that makes me feel better. Although, what if he unlikely remembers my face? I just fear being accused of cheating etc...
Original post by Darianthomson
Ah, that makes me feel better. Although, what if he unlikely remembers my face? I just fear being accused of cheating etc...

It's nor cheating, so I wouldn't worry. While you probably shouldn't be there, I think most lecturers wish all students were as keen as you.
Reply 4
Original post by Darianthomson
Hi,

I'm currently a second year uni student and I sneaked into one of my third year modules a few times. Next year could I run into any issues because of this?

I attended about ~5 lectures last semester only and it's a core module. Thanks in advance :smile:

You could theoretically kill yourself for 2nd year by having an absolutely full working day of lectures.

But in 3rd year, if you put the work in over the summer holiday, 3rd year would be soo soo easy!
I've considered doing this, I think I will now, just to see what is happening for next years classes, I do like this idea. Lecture halls are huge and people are not going to notice, I don't see the problem.
Your lecturers won't notice - and if they do notice you, they'll either think that you're a student who's meant to be there but has an irregular attendance record, and / or they won't care.
I'm sure they won't care. If they do, they may just assume you're repeating a year.

I've been to lectures with friends at unis I don't even go to. So long as you aren't causing a problem with space, no-one will care.

Just make sure you're not making next year really boring for yourself :P
Reply 8
I can't see why it'd be a problem. You might run the risk of getting bored or feel the temptation to skip them next year, which is what happened to my friends when they repeated modules.
I'm applying to college next year BUT since I really like the idea of attending lectures with my friends at my "future" University (if everything goes out well of course), and there are teachers that really don't mind my presence even knowing I'm not a student… which makes me feel great and integrated so next year when I apply to the course I want I will be a bit more prepared to face it. Plus Steve Jobs did this all the time, in fact he dropped out college so he could attend typography classes without being a student there. But I recommend to talk to your teacher first or if the lecture has more than 50 students just don't bother cause they won't notice you haha :wink: Good luck and I'm really glad I'm not the only one doing this…

The idea of having a "free" year drives me nuts so I might make it productive and worth it :smile:
Oh TSR.
I go to my boyfriend's lectures every Monday even though I'm not meant to :P
You should be ok :smile:
The university will force you into a Chinese labour camp if they catch you.
Well Its my "first" week doing this and so far so good the teachers don't really mind really… they want a "full room" so… BUT sometimes I do get scared specially at the bar when I'm ordering something to eat or having a coffee but so far so good really…
Here's a tip. My university used to only make available the past exam papers of the previous 3 years. I think the reason was to recycle old questions. So, what I started doing early on was downloading all available past papers for not just my current year but also the years ahead of me.

Quick Reply

Latest