The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Cranbourne Or Dorchester

I have got an unconditional from Bournemouth and basically i am just wondering which accommodation would be best for me,

I know Cranbourne is good if you want to go out and dorchester is good for luxury but I like to go out and I like luxury, What im saying is what accommodation is all round better?
Reply 1
The differences are minimal, cranborne is definitely a very clean, modern, spacious and very nice halls but doesnt have that layer of polish dorchester does like big windows, leather sofas, double beds, shelving etc etc. Cranborne feels like a nice hotel whereas dorchester feels quite apartmenty. Cranborne is literally next door to purbeck (which might be being refurbished next year mind) and chesil, as well as not being far from dorchester and again pretty close to lyme regis. Also that bit nearer to the clubs/takeaways as well.

If you prefer the luxury aspect you wouldnt be missing out on going out as Dorchester will have its own crowds roundabout the peak clubbing times, heading to and from, as well as the fact its pretty big so youll meet a good amount of people who live there while out and about/in uni. The only difference is that being outside of the lansdowne triangle of halls, you wont experience as much ambient chaos on nights out outside the bunch of halls together, and its a little bit further (5-10 mins) from town/halls. Both halls have bus stops and co-ops right outside and are equally distanced from asda/the gym.

A thing to consider though is the fact dorchester constantly gets oversubscribed due to it being the best halls on paper, which ends up with a lot of people getting put in unilet rather than other halls. So i picked cranborne to be safe, and im glad i did mostly due to neighbouring areas/distances in general. Plus im biased now as ive grown to love my new home!
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Reply 2
Original post by amityriot
The differences are minimal, cranborne is definitely a very clean, modern, spacious and very nice halls but doesnt have that layer of polish dorchester does like big windows, leather sofas, double beds, shelving etc etc. Cranborne feels like a nice hotel whereas dorchester feels quite apartmenty. Cranborne is literally next door to purbeck (which might be being refurbished next year mind) and chesil, as well as not being far from dorchester and again pretty close to lyme regis. Also that bit nearer to the clubs/takeaways as well.

If you prefer the luxury aspect you wouldnt be missing out on going out as Dorchester will have its own crowds roundabout the peak clubbing times, heading to and from, as well as the fact its pretty big so youll meet a good amount of people who live there while out and about/in uni. The only difference is that being outside of the lansdowne triangle of halls, you wont experience as much ambient chaos on nights out outside the bunch of halls together, and its a little bit further (5-10 mins) from town/halls. Both halls have bus stops and co-ops right outside and are equally distanced from asda/the gym.

A thing to consider though is the fact dorchester constantly gets oversubscribed due to it being the best halls on paper, which ends up with a lot of people getting put in unilet rather than other halls. So i picked cranborne to be safe, and im glad i did mostly due to neighbouring areas/distances in general. Plus im biased now as ive grown to love my new home!

Thank you for your help.

Also are the rooms in Cranbourne as big as dorchester? and is there enough storage room, for example dorchester i know has room under the matress. If i do apply for dorchester i have an image that i wont have as much of a good time regarding social experience (for example going out) or will it be roughly the same?

Well i have got an unconditional so i just have to decide where to go and i am constantly back and forth.
Reply 3
Ah congratulations!

Yeah the cranborne rooms (in terms of floor space) are not as big unless you get a room like mine which is bigger from being in the corner of the flat, or pay extra for a premium room.
If you can keep a room tidy though they're fine really, only slightly smaller than Dorchester.

I know what you mean about having an image, but i'd say you will have a good time just as much. It sort of depends where your friendship group originates really, i might be biased as for us, cranborne is like the base cause a lot of us live here. But you'll have friends bloody everywhere anyway haha.

And theres space under the beds in cranborne yes, not drawers or anything but just you can fit boxes under there. Lots of storage really, above the door and a large shelf in the wardrobe, and shelves above the desk :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by amityriot
Ah congratulations!

Yeah the cranborne rooms (in terms of floor space) are not as big unless you get a room like mine which is bigger from being in the corner of the flat, or pay extra for a premium room.
If you can keep a room tidy though they're fine really, only slightly smaller than Dorchester.

I know what you mean about having an image, but i'd say you will have a good time just as much. It sort of depends where your friendship group originates really, i might be biased as for us, cranborne is like the base cause a lot of us live here. But you'll have friends bloody everywhere anyway haha.

And theres space under the beds in cranborne yes, not drawers or anything but just you can fit boxes under there. Lots of storage really, above the door and a large shelf in the wardrobe, and shelves above the desk :smile:

could you post an image of your cranborne room?
Reply 5
Original post by Y2J

sure! but not right now, i've just got back from home and it would be the worst possible time... ill see what i can do
Reply 6
Hello! I have an unconditional offer too! I always thought I wanted to live in cranborne. Is this halls really the 'party halls' I like to party but I also like peace and quiet haha. Also is cranborne far from the clubs/pubs/shops? which is the closest accommodation? thank you
Original post by Egaffney
Hello! I have an unconditional offer too! I always thought I wanted to live in cranborne. Is this halls really the 'party halls' I like to party but I also like peace and quiet haha. Also is cranborne far from the clubs/pubs/shops? which is the closest accommodation? thank you

It does depend on what floor you are. My floor thankfully are content with either partying or having a quiet night in! But, yes, parties go on all the time in Cranborne so you can never be without fun!

And it's not that far from the town centre where all the pubs and clubs will be, probably a 5-10 minute walk.
Reply 8
Original post by Monster Mnch
It does depend on what floor you are. My floor thankfully are content with either partying or having a quiet night in! But, yes, parties go on all the time in Cranborne so you can never be without fun!

And it's not that far from the town centre where all the pubs and clubs will be, probably a 5-10 minute walk.

ok great! What did you write about yourself when it came to choosing accommodation? i'm not sure what sort of things I should say about myself
Original post by Egaffney
ok great! What did you write about yourself when it came to choosing accommodation? i'm not sure what sort of things I should say about myself

This might be a new feature because it certainly wasn't something I had to do! Have you got an unconditional offer already? EDIT: Silly me, you do have one.

I got into Bournemouth Uni on results day, and just applied on the day and got my offer a few hours later.

Isn't it more like a personal statement again? I'm not too sure what you would have to do!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Y2J

Pics as requested!

NOTE: this is a standard room but slightly larger due to being in the corner of a flat. It also means i have a smaller desk than most though. The rooms can vary slightly depending on where they are but not really enough to make any difference.

http://imgur.com/a/uKTwL < Link to imgur album as TSR wouldnt play nice
Reply 11
Original post by maxxcooper
I have got an unconditional from Bournemouth and basically i am just wondering which accommodation would be best for me,

I know Cranbourne is good if you want to go out and dorchester is good for luxury but I like to go out and I like luxury, What im saying is what accommodation is all round better?

I'm having the exact same problem! Have you decided yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply