The Student Room Group

The NEW follow function...it's here!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by She-Ra
Hey superwolf!

Sorry for the delay! Thank you for letting us know how you're feeling.

I'll quote Captain Jack in on this one and he'll be in touch next week :smile:

Sorry to bother you again, but I never did hear back from Captain Jack... he's not still on holiday is he? :tongue:

Captain Jack
:wavey:
I still can't see most of my followers, or who I'm following. The follow page just has two columns, each with 20 people on them and that's it - no navigation to more or anything.

It's a shame. :sad:
Original post by She-Ra
Hey superwolf!

Sorry for the delay! Thank you for letting us know how you're feeling.

I'll quote Captain Jack in on this one and he'll be in touch next week :smile:

O Wise and Mighty She-Ra,

Please can you get TSR to fulfil its promise to at least look at and give a decision on letting users have a say on who is allowed to follow them. I'm *still* getting followed by various people, and it's still creeping me out! And, repetitively, I *still* haven't heard anything back from Captain Jack. :emo:

Original post by Captain Jack
Hello again!

We had a meeting with the Community Team and the Development Team to review everyone's feedback. Below is the list of identified issues from you and the action we're going to take in purple:

- We totally agree with you on this one, that the sensitive forums should not be included and we are going to work over the next day to exclude a number of forums from appearing in the widgets e.g. Mental Health, Sexual Health. This should go live in the next day or two.

- This does need updating and we will get onto amending this in the next day as well.

Privacy: we take on board your concerns around privacy. Although the functionality to read people's posts is already widely available on TSR through profiles and search, this new functionality makes it easier for you to be able to see who is interested in your posts. And that the existing 'Ignore List' doesn't do enough to stop people following you.

Approve follows: some of you would like the option to approve / ignore requests to follow you.[color="#000000"]
- For these, we can see that there is an issue but we need to understand that issue better and more fully, so we are going to wait for some more feedback this week from other members (who haven't posted yet, while also taking into account existing feedback) before making a decision on the development work. This is because at the moment, having discussed some of the solutions, there are many different ways of developing something. We don't want to rush into days of development work, when by the end of the week it might turn out that we should have done one of the other options.

- Likewise, we have fed back about the design, but would like to give it a little while longer and seek wider feedback. It is noted that some of you feel it is too large though.

Thanks again for all of your feedback. I'll come back to this list throughout the week to keep you all updated.

Jack

Progress report? :puppyeyes:
Original post by superwolf
O Wise and Mighty She-Ra,

Please can you get TSR to fulfil its promise to at least look at and give a decision on letting users have a say on who is allowed to follow them. I'm *still* getting followed by various people, and it's still creeping me out! And, repetitively, I *still* haven't heard anything back from Captain Jack. :emo:

Progress report? :puppyeyes:

Flattery will get you everywhere! :wink:

Just kidding. I am so sorry that you have quoted me in twice and I have not responded. It's just not good enough. I've been super busy with my first results season at TSR combined with lots of other activities which has meant I've dropped the ball on this one.

However, you might have seen me posting today in other N&FB threads....fingers crossed an indication that I am back in the game!

Thank you for chasing us up on this, sure thing, I will speak to Jack about it - he is out of the office tomorrow but back in on Thursday. If I can get an update to you sooner than that, then I will :smile:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I still can't see most of my followers, or who I'm following. The follow page just has two columns, each with 20 people on them and that's it - no navigation to more or anything.

It's a shame. :sad:

i wanna see who stalks me and all i can see are the ones it shows! :s-smilie:

its like im not even allowed to know who watches my every post :ninja:
Original post by She-Ra
Flattery will get you everywhere! :wink:

Just kidding. I am so sorry that you have quoted me in twice and I have not responded. It's just not good enough. I've been super busy with my first results season at TSR combined with lots of other activities which has meant I've dropped the ball on this one.

However, you might have seen me posting today in other N&FB threads....fingers crossed an indication that I am back in the game!

Thank you for chasing us up on this, sure thing, I will speak to Jack about it - he is out of the office tomorrow but back in on Thursday. If I can get an update to you sooner than that, then I will :smile:

Aww She-Ra, you smooth talker, all is forgiven. :lovehug:

*returns to waiting patiently in the background*
Aww thanks :h:

Quoting Captain Jack in for you :smile:

Captain Jack
x
Aww She-Ra, you smooth talker, all is forgiven. :lovehug:

*returns to waiting patiently in the background*

Hi superwolf, I'm really sorry for the delay in responding to you.

Although it has been a long time I actually have your idea noted down still. TSR has a bigger development team than ever but it is still limited. Unfortunately this means we have to order up development projects by priority. This has resulted in phase 2 developments of 'Follow' being pushed back a lot. For instance, the PS Help builder tool, university connect and others. And there are still a number of projects that are a higher priority coming up.

So while I can't give you any timelines at this point, I can tell you that your idea to be able to adjust who follows you is in the list and we will get to it at some point in the future. When we do we will let members know what's happening in that new build.

I know the timing will be frustrating but I want you to know the idea is in the queue and we haven't or won't forget it.
It may not be implemented exactly as you have requested but something will be done.
Jack
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi superwolf, I'm really sorry for the delay in responding to you.

Although it has been a long time I actually have your idea noted down still. TSR has a bigger development team than ever but it is still limited. Unfortunately this means we have to order up development projects by priority. This has resulted in phase 2 developments of 'Follow' being pushed back a lot. For instance, the PS Help builder tool, university connect and others. And there are still a number of projects that are a higher priority coming up.

So while I can't give you any timelines at this point, I can tell you that your idea to be able to adjust who follows you is in the list and we will get to it at some point in the future. When we do we will let members know what's happening in that new build.

I know the timing will be frustrating but I want you to know the idea is in the queue and we haven't or won't forget it.
It may not be implemented exactly as you have requested but something will be done.
Jack

Hi Captain Jack,

I have to say, this seems rather like TSR just waited till the fuss died down about people's problems with the following system, and isn't really bothered about keeping its word. :s-smilie: I can't help but feel a sense of deja vu about these tactics... :erm:

If TSR isn't prepared to follow through on properly developing its new functions, might we not have been better off without some of them in the first place?
Hi Captain Jack,

I have to say, this seems rather like TSR just waited till the fuss died down about people's problems with the following system, and isn't really bothered about keeping its word. :s-smilie: I can't help but feel a sense of deja vu about these tactics... :erm:

Sorry you think like that Superwolf, but as I say, we will get around to working on it in the future.
:smile:

Can I ask if there's any more likelihood of an approval button being put on new followers? My fears have been confirmed that the follow function can and will be misused, and there's not much that the TSR powers that be are currently able to do about it. :s-smilie:
New follow function? what was changed in the last days for the better? I see no differences...
Original post by Kallisto
New follow function? what was changed in the last days for the better? I see no differences...

This was changed a long time ago :yep:
Original post by greeneyedgirl
This was changed a long time ago :yep:

And what does mean the change exactly? what is different in comparison to 'long time ago'?
On a basic level, I still can't see who is following me beyond the first page - there's a table of about 40 followers there, but there is no link to the next page of followers. The 'A-Z' sort button also doesn't work.

I use Chrome.
Original post by Kallisto
And what does mean the change exactly? what is different in comparison to 'long time ago'?

There wasn't a follow function a long time ago. So you couldn't follow people and see where they are posting in the "Follower Members" widget.

On a basic level, I still can't see who is following me beyond the first page - there's a table of about 40 followers there, but there is no link to the next page of followers. The 'A-Z' sort button also doesn't work.

I use Chrome.

Which page are you looking at? https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/follow.php doesn't go onto multiple pages through a button, you just scroll down and it keeps adding to it.

I also use chrome and it works absolutely fine.

Which page are you looking at? https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/follow.php doesn't go onto multiple pages through a button, you just scroll down and it keeps adding to it.

I also use chrome and it works absolutely fine.

Yeah, that's the page.

I see two columns of 20 followers. Scrolling down there is nothing further, just white space. The followers appear to be randomised alphabetically and by longevity.

It's been like this since the start and I did post screenshots and someone said they were going to take a look at it, but nothing has happened.

It's the same on my tablet and also on the Mac, which suggests it's not browser-related.
Yeah, that's the page.

I see two columns of 20 followers. Scrolling down there is nothing further, just white space. The followers appear to be randomised alphabetically and by longevity.

It's been like this since the start and I did post screenshots and someone said they were going to take a look at it, but nothing has happened.

It's the same on my tablet and also on the Mac, which suggests it's not browser-related.

Odd, I've not heard of any issues elsewhere.

Dez
x

Any suggestions?
Odd, I've not heard of any issues elsewhere.

Any suggestions?

Someone asked me if I run adblockers and I do run both AdBlock and AdBlock Plus, but switching those off makes no difference.

I don't run many other in-Chrome apps, but the site seems to work properly in all other respects.
There wasn't a follow function a long time ago. So you couldn't follow people and see where they are posting in the "Follower Members" widget.
(...)

I see. Do you mean the wigdet which I can find below when I switch to "My TSR", right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending