The Student Room Group

Does rape culture really exist?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Gjaykay
Do we really need a rape thread on TSR every week?
Anyone else not bored of it?

Yeah. Can't we just put rape and feminism on the shelves for a while, TSR?
Original post by Suetonius
Don't you dare misrepresent my point on this issue, to hide behind a cloak of disingenuous moralism. I didn't say anything you implied in #1.

If it is the woman's fault she had sex and the sex is deemed rape...then according to you its her fault. Not misrepresenting. I restated what you said just you don't like what you are actually saying. Sorry but thats simply fact.

You said "What if a person is so intoxicated that they can barely form words or are losing consciousness, and other such situations where people's understandings seem...blurred",

Yes I know what I said. Thank you for repeating it over and over again?

which implies that if a woman consents to sex when she's drunk, and a man has sex with her, then she's absolved from her own responsibility for getting drunk and that it's the man's fault.

Where does what I say have anything to do with her drunkeness? It has nothing to do with absolving her of her drunken state. I nowhere implied that it was the man's fault she got drunk. What I did imply is that sex afterwards is on the man because (unless he is also very drunk) he should have known, in the particular case I gave, that the woman was not capable of consenting. So yes, it is his fault. Clearly if someone can barely form the words to express themselves you cannot consider them capable of consenting.

This is an utterly and totally perverse opinion to have. There are manifold cases of women using their being drunk as an excuse to accuse men of raping them even though they gave their consent.

1. Don't pretend thats what I said or implied.

2. Go ahead and show a 'manifold of cases' where women 'used their being drunk' to accuse men of raping them where it wasn't legitimate and they undoubtedly were abusing the system :rolleyes:

Being drunk is never an excuse, and if you think that it absolves women from their own responsibility, and that it's the man's fault (or that he's a rapist ffs) for having sex with her, then your moral compass is totally and utterly off the radar.

Being drunk is not an excuse? Excuse for who? Absolves of what responsibility? Women do not have a responsibility to do anything. It is in fact the man's fault for having sex with the woman. She did not force him to. Unless you are suggesting that women do merely by being drunk? Or maybe you're suggesting that men can't not have sex with a drunk woman? I don't know what you are trying to say, but if a man can recognize that a woman is very drunk he should know that she cannot consent to sex and should therefore not have sex with her. Similarly for women if the situation is reversed.

That also answers #2. As for #3, I said that if she's drinking with a man (which is, you know, what usually happens in these situations) then the man cannot be blamed for how drunk she gets.

Again you seem to be purposefully misinterpreting or reading things into what I say that aren't there. :rolleyes:

The woman controls how much she drinks, not the man. The guy isn't forcing it down her throat. If the she blames the man for how much she drinks then she has no self-control.

Nobody is blaming the man for how much the woman drank. I, and others, are though 'blaming' the man for then having sex with a woman who clearly could not consent. Please stop being so thick.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
If it is the woman's fault she had sex and the sex is deemed rape...then according to you its her fault. Not misrepresenting. I restated what you said just you don't like what you are actually saying. Sorry but thats simply fact.

NO. I said that if she accuses the man of rape, when it's clearly her fault that she got too drunk and gave consent for him to have sex with her, then it's immoral to do so. This is a man's life we're talking about. Not once did I say that a woman deserves to be raped because she's drunk. Get a life.

What I did imply is that sex afterwards is on the man because (unless he is also very drunk) he should have known, in the particular case I gave, that the woman was not capable of consenting. So yes, it is his fault. Clearly if someone can barely form the words to express themselves you cannot consider them capable of consenting.

Well, you didn't actually make it clear that "the woman was not capable of consenting". You said "so intoxicated that they can barely form words", which could mean anything. Whatever that is, it isn't "clear".

1. Don't pretend thats what I said or implied.

2. Go ahead and show a 'manifold of cases' where women 'used their being drunk' to accuse men of raping them where it wasn't legitimate and they undoubtedly were abusing the system :rolleyes:

Being drunk is not an excuse? Excuse for who? Absolves of what responsibility? Women do not have a responsibility to do anything. It is in fact the man's fault for having sex with the woman. She did not force him to. Unless you are suggesting that women do merely by being drunk? Or maybe you're suggesting that men can't not have sex with a drunk woman? I don't know what you are trying to say, but if a man can recognize that a woman is very drunk he should know that she cannot consent to sex and should therefore not have sex with her. Similarly for women if the situation is reversed.

Quick Google search, easy case: http://metro.co.uk/2009/03/25/too-drunk-woman-accuses-man-of-rape-574619/ I don't know how this ended, but this sort of thing happens all the time. Women claim to have been "too drunk to consent" after unexpectedly waking up next to a man they don't like the look of (feeling regret) - which is balls, because there's no such excuse: for example, people aren't alleviated from blame when they commit crimes, or alienate their friends, when drunk because it's understood that they were responsible for their own intoxication. Similarly, with "too drunk to consent", it's the woman who was drinking too much. It may be immoral for a man to sleep with a drunk girl, but it's not rape. **** off if you think that.

P.S. If a man is "too drunk to consent", and a woman has sex with him, was he raped too? Or are only women able to get blackouts in your world?
(edited 10 years ago)
NO. I said that if she accuses the man of rape, when it's clearly her fault that she got too drunk and gave consent for him to have sex with her, then it's immoral to do so. This is a man's life we're talking about. Not once did I say that a woman deserves to be raped because she's drunk. Get a life.

So what exactly then were you saying when you said it was a woman's fault? If it is her fault that a man had sex with her, and the sex was rape (again as I just said) then it is her fault she was raped. :rolleyes:

We are not talking about one or the other. Again, I will say that if a woman cannot form words or can barely form words it should be obvious she cannot consent to sex. So yes, it is on the man who chose to have sex with a woman whom he knew, or should have know, could not (and therefore did not) consent to sex.

Well, you didn't actually make it clear that "the woman was not capable of consenting". You said "so intoxicated that they can barely form words", which could mean anything. Whatever that is, it isn't "clear".

Not being able to form words is pretty indicative of not being able to consent. So yes. That was very clear. I apologize if it was too...complicated for you.

Quick Google search, easy case: http://metro.co.uk/2009/03/25/too-drunk-woman-accuses-man-of-rape-574619/ I don't know how this ended, but this sort of thing happens all the time. Women claim to have been "too drunk to consent" - which is balls, because there's no such excuse: for example, people aren't alleviated from blame when they commit crimes, or alienate their friends, when drunk because it's understood that they were responsible for their own intoxication. Similarly, with "too drunk to consent", it's the woman who was drinking too much. It may be immoral for a man to sleep with a drunk girl, but it's not rape. **** off if you think that.

You don't seem to understand the difference between something that is rape and just being accused of rape. I will ask again for you to show where the woman was purposefully taking advantage of the system where she knew it was not actually rape. :rolleyes: You also cannot show merely one instance as you claimed it happens 'manifold'. Good luck.
Reply 64
So what exactly then were you saying when you said it was a woman's fault? If it is her fault that a man had sex with her, and the sex was rape (again as I just said) then it is her fault she was raped. :rolleyes:

We are not talking about one or the other. Again, I will say that if a woman cannot form words or can barely form words it should be obvious she cannot consent to sex. So yes, it is on the man who chose to have sex with a woman whom he knew, or should have know, could not (and therefore did not) consent to sex.

Not being able to form words is pretty indicative of not being able to consent. So yes. That was very clear. I apologize if it was too...complicated for you.

You don't seem to understand the difference between something that is rape and just being accused of rape. I will ask again for you to show where the woman was purposefully taking advantage of the system where she knew it was not actually rape. :rolleyes: You also cannot show merely one instance as you claimed it happens 'manifold'. Good luck.

Just because somebody is very drunk, it doesn't mean that there wasn't consensual agreement between the two partners - or that the man, who in these circumstances is usually intoxicated also (as in the case I linked), had an exploitative intent towards her. This is just presumption of guilt, which is bull**** misandry. I meant that the woman has complete control over how intoxicated she can get, and that if she gets so drunk that she consents to have sex with a man without realizing it (in the same way that, in reverse, a man gets blackout and has sex with a woman), it's not rape, and she is completely responsible for ending up in bed with him. Now, if the woman was unable to form words and made no indication of consenting then that would be a rape, and the man could be blamed, yes. But if you're calling a man having sex with a drunk girl "rape" then it devalues the term.

I don't care about "the system", you brought that red herring into the fold. I'm talking about ethics. Women accusing men of rape because they got too drunk and regret who they woke up with is an appalling case of affairs, and implies the they have no free will when managing their own intoxication levels.

P.S. And again, you didn't answer my question, can a man ever be "too drunk to consent"? If it can't be applied universally then it's an immoral, discriminatory, principle.
(edited 10 years ago)
Just because somebody is very drunk, it doesn't mean that there wasn't consensual agreement between the two partners - or that the man, who in these circumstances is usually intoxicated also (as in the case I linked), had an exploitative intent towards her.

I will repeat. I did not say just 'very drunk' - I said "so drunk that they can barely make words" this means that there is essentially no way that the woman, or man, could consent in that condition. I don't care what you think about 'very drunk' because that is not a concrete state.

Ps - exploitative intent is irrelevant.

This is just presumption of guilt, which is bull**** misandry. I meant that the woman has complete control over how intoxicated she can get, and that if she gets so drunk that she consents to have sex with a man without realizing it (in the same way that, in reverse, a man gets blackout and has sex with a woman), it's not rape, and she is completely responsible for ending up in bed with him.

I completely disagree. If you are so drunk that you don't even know what you are doing then you cannot be said to be consenting. As you are not freely choosing between multiple options knowingly. Therefore, no consent. This would apply similarly to both men and women.

Where, again, was there a presumption of guilt? Like I said earlier in the thread, I believe that there are certain facts about when something is and is not rape regardless of anyone's opinion on when it is. If there is no consent then it is rape. Therefore, if consent cannot be given it must be rape.

Now, if the woman was unable to form words and made no indication of consenting then that would be an assault, and the man could be blamed, yes. But if you're calling a man having sex with a drunk girl "rape" then it devalues the term.

Please don't get involved when you clearly don't know what you are talking about. 1. it would be Rape not assault. And that was my example that you objected to in the first place! Go back and re read everything! Nowhere did I just say any person who is drunk is incapable of consent.

I don't care about "the system", you brought that red herring into the fold. I'm talking about ethics. Women accusing men of rape because they got too drunk and regret who they woke up with is an appalling case of affairs, and implies the they have no free will when managing their own intoxication levels.

The italicized and the bold are contradictory. You brought up accusations. I did not bring up the system. You cannot make an accusation without bringing in 'the system'. You opened that door. If we are talking about accusing then we have to look into the system.

....I am done with you. You clearly do not even understand the mechanisms that you are attempting to engage in. Goodnight!
Reply 66
They should probably protect your weak-mindedness then, given that this isn't an answer to my refutation.

Since females are physically and supposedly socially weaker, the law is tiled to protect them (the weak).
Reply 67
I will repeat. I did not say just 'very drunk' - I said "so drunk that they can barely make words" this means that there is essentially no way that the woman, or man, could consent in that condition. I don't care what you think about 'very drunk' because that is not a concrete state.

Ps - exploitative intent is irrelevant.

I completely disagree. If you are so drunk that you don't even know what you are doing then you cannot be said to be consenting. As you are not freely choosing between multiple options knowingly. Therefore, no consent. This would apply similarly to both men and women.

Where, again, was there a presumption of guilt? Like I said earlier in the thread, I believe that there are certain facts about when something is and is not rape regardless of anyone's opinion on when it is. If there is no consent then it is rape. Therefore, if consent cannot be given it must be rape.

Please don't get involved when you clearly don't know what you are talking about. 1. it would be Rape not assault. And that was my example that you objected to in the first place! Go back and re read everything! Nowhere did I just say any person who is drunk is incapable of consent.

The italicized and the bold are contradictory. You brought up accusations. I did not bring up the system. You cannot make an accusation without bringing in 'the system'. You opened that door. If we are talking about accusing then we have to look into the system.

....I am done with you. You clearly do not even understand the mechanisms that you are attempting to engage in. Goodnight!

This is all just a strawman. Not once did I alleviate blame from the man (in fact, I stated quite clearly that - unless he was really drunk too - it would be an "assault", and I agree with your correction that it would indeed be rape in that situation.) I'm talking about the woman having responsibility for her own actions, and saying that if she consents when under the influence of alcohol then it doesn't make it rape. This law can easily be manipulated too, and is clearly biased against men. An obvious bias which you've avoided bothering to address. Bye bye.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by clh_hilary
x

I will say, like someone earlier, that I think that Suetonius is a perfect example of why people still say and feel there is a rape culture even in modern, 'first world', 'liberal' countries/societies.
Reply 69
I will say, like someone earlier, that I think that Suetonius is a perfect example of why people still say and feel there is a rape culture even in modern, 'first world', 'liberal' countries/societies.

Ya because I'm such a rapist. :rolleyes:

If anything, OP, the culture is plagued in a way where men are now constantly having to worry about their behavior vis-a-vis women. Men are portrayed in mainstream media - and elsewhere - as being oafs, and lazy, dominating scumbags (rapists) who don't care about women, thanks to the feminist tripe that RandZ puts forward, and loads of men have wrongly gone to jail because of it. If you can't see that the "too drunk to consent" law is VERY anti-male, is not a universal law (i.e. is fundamentally discriminatory), and can be manipulated in the most serious of ways (insulting actual victims of rape) then you have no self-respect as a man. If we can't even go to a nightclub without having to worry that we could be accused of rape the next morning if we take a girl home (just because she'd been drinking) then it's a **** law. This sort of crap is making men scared of women. I repeat, scared of women. Because the law says that, at a certain level of intoxication, the man automatically becomes a rapist, and the woman is given the benefit of the doubt in every single case. We have no idea what to do when, in your world, "yes doesn't always mean yes".

P.S. I would actually agree that it would be rape if the man was sober and slept with a girl completely wasted, simply because the same principle can work with both genders - i.e. a sober woman sleeping with a completely wasted man. This is in stark opposition to the anti-male pseudo-intellectual crap posited by radical feminists.
(edited 10 years ago)
rape "culture"? are you kidding me? just because rape exists that doesn't mean it's a "culture" - murder and theft exists too but when was it that we had a "killing and stealing culture" too? some people are paedophiles and some people are cannibals, does that mean we have a cannibal paedophile society?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 71

But for it to be a rape 'culture', wouldn't it need to be more developed in the sense that people get girls drunk intentionally for the purpose of making them have sex?
But for it to be a rape 'culture', wouldn't it need to be more developed in the sense that people get girls drunk intentionally for the purpose of making them have sex?

Have you heard of roofies?
Reply 73

Yeah, he doesn't know what he's talking about. Millions of women drink to have sex all over the world every week (and, in certain cases, they'll drink too much), but RandZ is more likely wanting to push through his feminist agenda rather than accept reality, so whatever. Girls are just as responsible for their alcohol intake, and the choices they make under the influence, as boys are. That shouldn't even be controversial. If you say otherwise then you want something more than equality.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 74
Original post by Meyrin
Have you heard of roofies?

Nope.
Nope.

You have honestly never heard of date rape drugs?
Reply 76
Original post by Meyrin
You have honestly never heard of date rape drugs?

This yes. But people don't brag about them do they?
Reply 77
As was mentioned earlier there is a tendency to victim blame, saying that the woman shouldn't have dressed a certain way, walked a certain route, been out so late, etc. All of these seem to excuse the fault of the actual rapist and put it instead on the victim. This definitely seems, to me, to be a form of accepting of rape. It may not be full acceptance but it certainly is a form of acceptance to a degree.

There are also issues such as sexual entitlement etc. I don't have any studies off the top of my head but the whole, 'friend zone' thing, and 'girls only go for nice guys' state of mind seems to be indicative that merely by being 'nice' a person deserves sex, which is implicitly rape-like.

These are just two examples off the top of my head really quickly.

I can think of no better example than the Steubenville rape case in the US where all the media focused on was the poor football players and how they are losing so much of their livelihood for a 'stupid mistake' and even some outlets outed the poor young girl. Not to mention all the abuse she got even while anonymous through internet comments, social media, etc.

I have to disagree with you on most of your points. Firstly there is this tendency to claim that a victim blaming culture exists, but I think this simply is not true, the perception of a victim blaming culture being prevalent is a product of people looking for a victim blaming culture. The perfect case would be a few years ago when some senior figure advised women to be careful when they are on their own, now to walk down dark streets, drunk and in 6 inch heels with no idea where they are and so on. That is not victim blaming, that is a man giving honest advice on how a woman can minimise their risk. Of course we all know the statistics about most rapes being perpetrated by people known to the victim and so on, but that is besides the point. Advice like that given by the man can only be seen as 'victim blaming' if you're intentionally seeking to see it in that light.

Entitlement is something that pervades most sects of society, certainly the Feminist movement to a huge degree I might add! Entitlement is not in any way indicative of a 'rape-culture' and again can only be seen as such if you're trying to frame it in that light. You can talk about the same in reverse, how a large portion of women expect men to pay for things, expect them to make the first move and so forth, this can be legitimately framed as an issue surrounding gender roles, but not 'rape culture.'

And I'm glad you brought up Steubenville actually,m because it's a good example of why you can't make these wild accusations of a pervasive 'rape culture.' A few local media outlets and I believe Fox ran with a certain slant on the story, and received universal condemnation, people were reviled by the way the story was presented. If a 'rape culture' was present then that sort of reporting would have been met with no such furore. Some people still have some ignorant and backwards views on all sorts of issues surrounding rape, gender, sexuality and so forth, but these do not constitute a culture. As mentioned earlier, if there is a 'rape culture' then there is a 'murder culture' and a 'theft culture.'

'Rape culture' is nothing more than a vapid term coined by the modern feminist movement to silence dissenting voices, it's devoid of any intellectual worth.
Rape culture exists even though people within the rape culture aren't aware of the fact that they are a part of the rape culture.

Also, the world is run by Jews and Elvis Presley is alive and well.
Yes it is definitely one of the things that comes to my mind when I try to think about what defines the British culture, second to the Sunday roast.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending