The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Postgrads Accommodation 2014

Hi all! I am looking to undertake a PhD in Manchester university. I am not sure however, what people will normally do for accommodation in my position.

I don't know anyone in Manchester, but I want to live in a shared house ideally - not halls. At my current university (and the one before) there was a house hunting event where you could meet up with other people in similar situation and then look to find a house together. Does anyone know of a similar arrangement in Manchester? What would other people do in my situation?

I am not entirely against the idea of halls, but I imagine they are more expensive that private housing, and I would rather live in a more communal environment found in a shared house.

If anyone could shed any insight into this I would be really grateful- tips, previous experience etc.

Cheers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vousden
x

I can't say I have personal experience of renting as a postgrad, but to point you in the right direction with regards to Manchester accommodation
- Halls (not as expensive as you may imagine) http://www.accommodation.manchester.ac.uk/
- You can often find adverts for spare rooms on TSR (and of course, you could then meet up before you decided to take the house) http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=576
- Manchester Student Homes is the official uni run private sector housing agency. They have a forum there for people who want flatmates, and some of the landlords who advertise will be willing to let out each room individually http://www.manchesterstudenthomes.com/Accommodation
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
I can't say I have personal experience of renting as a postgrad, but to point you in the right direction with regards to Manchester accommodation
- Halls (not as expensive as you may imagine) http://www.accommodation.manchester.ac.uk/
- You can often find adverts for spare rooms on TSR (and of course, you could then meet up before you decided to take the house) http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=576
- Manchester Student Homes is the official uni run private sector housing agency. They have a forum there for people who want flatmates, and some of the landlords who advertise will be willing to let out each room individually http://www.manchesterstudenthomes.com/Accommodation

Thanks for all the tips! Anyone with any experience of post grad accommodation/halls in Manchester?
Reply 3
Hey vousden,
I am in a similar position with respect to not being in manchester at the moment and will be doing a postgrad there come September.
I have put an add on gumtree and had a lot of replies allready and i have found a site that is agency run but still get cheap accommodation (http://www.homes4u.co.uk/relocation/area-guides/).
the good thing with this site is from what i've read you can reserve a place.
anyway i was wondering if you're interested and looking for a flatmate, i am very clean and easy going, and looking for a flatmate to share with. if you're interested email me and we can see if we'd get along and find a place?
Michael
Original post by mahk650
Hey vousden,
I am in a similar position with respect to not being in manchester at the moment and will be doing a postgrad there come September.
I have put an add on gumtree and had a lot of replies allready and i have found a site that is agency run but still get cheap accommodation (http://www.homes4u.co.uk/relocation/area-guides/).
anyway i was wondering if you're interested and looking for a flatmate, i am very clean and easy going, and looking for a flatmate to share with. if you're interested email me and we can see if we'd get along and find a place?
Michael

Avoid Homes4u like the plague. They were only meant to be reletting my house (I didn't rent through them, but the landlord decided to find next year's tenants through them), but they
- didn't turn up to viewings, meaning that we found prospective tenants stood on our doorstep, waiting for them
- didn't bother to cancel
- tried to arrange viewings with <24 hours notice
- were rude on the phone

I can't think of a single good thing to say about them, and they don't have a particularly good reputation locally. If you want examples of this then have a look on Qype and Yell and other similar sites.
Reply 5
Well I'm not 100% sure I'm coming yet - my PhD supervisor is finalizing some legal issues with the funding, so its not completely confirmed as of yet - I'll let you know!!

Have you accepted your offer? Have you received any information from the University about accomodation? I've probably mentioned it earlier, but both my previous universities have run house hunting events - have Manchester said anything about this?

What are you studying?

Original post by mahk650
Hey vousden,
Michael
Reply 6
Looks like this is going ahead. Anyone else out there in a similar situation?
Reply 7
*Final bump*
Reply 8
Original post by Vousden
Looks like this is going ahead. Anyone else out there in a similar situation?

Hi,

I know this is quite late! I am starting an audiology masters at Manchester in September and also looking for accomodation, preferably not halls! If you're still looking for flatmates give me a message :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Suzy2706
Hi,

I know this is quite late! I am starting an audiology masters at Manchester in September and also looking for accomodation, preferably not halls! If you're still looking for flatmates give me a message :smile:

Hi Suzy, sorry but I ended up not taking my place in Manchester in the end, so am no longer looking for a room.
Reply 10
Original post by Suzy2706
Hi,

I'm going to do a masters in Political Economy at Manchester this September, I've not decided whether to go with halls or private accomodation yet, but I'm leaning towards renting privately at the moment, let me know if you're still looking for flatmates =)
Reply 11
Original post by nndean
I'm going to do a masters in Political Economy at Manchester this September, I've not decided whether to go with halls or private accomodation yet, but I'm leaning towards renting privately at the moment, let me know if you're still looking for flatmates =)

Still looking! For both flatmates and a flat... :/
Reply 12
Hi!
I am coming to Manchester in September for a MSc at MBS and I would like a few tips about the halls of residence. I believe that it might be better to live near the uni so I'm looking for an ensuite room,decent enough, close to the city campus.
Any ideas or suggestions???
thaaanks!!!:smile::smile:
Reply 13
Hi, a friend of mine has a spare room in her house next year, it's in Victoria park in Manchester
The existing tenants are a girl and two boys, all 19-20 year old second year students this year.
If any of you are still looking for somewhere to live this year please pm me for any more details! The rent is from September to the end of June
Original post by xperri
Hi!
I am coming to Manchester in September for a MSc at MBS and I would like a few tips about the halls of residence. I believe that it might be better to live near the uni so I'm looking for an ensuite room,decent enough, close to the city campus.
Any ideas or suggestions???
thaaanks!!!:smile::smile:

Hi xperri,
I am also starting my Masters in Advanced Comp Sc this September and was inclining towards private accomodation - Did you find a roommate yet?
Reply 15
I've got a spare room in my house if anyone is interested. I live outside the city centre, I'm a 26 year old female and I'm going back to do my Masters so the house will be more quiet and chilled rather than party central! x
Reply 16
Original post by Smeed
I've got a spare room in my house if anyone is interested. I live outside the city centre, I'm a 26 year old female and I'm going back to do my Masters so the house will be more quiet and chilled rather than party central! x

Hi I will be heading down the following week. I am a 22 year old female student taking a masters course at Manchester School of Social Sciences! I am only just starting to look for accommodation. May I know where your house is and how much you would like to rent it for? Other details will be much appreciated.
Reply 17
Let's cooperate and find and maybe book together the best accommodation for us! Both private and university halls are welcome to discuss.

The are not many threads and FAQs for PG applicants, unfortunately.

So The University accommodation does not look really impressive. From my point of view, the only Hall that is not bad to live for PGs is George Kenyon!
However, as I can see, there are many private halls around the university! Lets find the most suitable for us!

I was considering the Ropemaker Court, but as it is in Moss Side... I really want a nice and safe area to live.

Parkway Gate looks nice, can anyone tell is it good?
Student Castle also looks nice, but I think it is too expensive.

P.s. I am going to study Msc International Business and Management)
Reply 18
Hey... I was looking at Ropemaker Court too.. but getting mixed reviews about the safety in that area. Did you ever find out?

If not Ropemaker, I'm considering Student Castle despite it being pricey, mainly cos it's close to uni and I wouldn't have to worry about walking alone.

I'll be doing my MA Political Science in UoM this September btw.

Original post by Noodlle
Let's cooperate and find and maybe book together the best accommodation for us! Both private and university halls are welcome to discuss.

The are not many threads and FAQs for PG applicants, unfortunately.

So The University accommodation does not look really impressive. From my point of view, the only Hall that is not bad to live for PGs is George Kenyon!
However, as I can see, there are many private halls around the university! Lets find the most suitable for us!

I was considering the Ropemaker Court, but as it is in Moss Side... I really want a nice and safe area to live.

Parkway Gate looks nice, can anyone tell is it good?
Student Castle also looks nice, but I think it is too expensive.

P.s. I am going to study Msc International Business and Management)
Reply 19
The area is reaally nice, I've heard, with lots of other accommodation houses and students. However, I'm considering George Kenyon now because of the place and partial payment opportunity

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest