The Student Room Group

How to deal with Facebook jealousy?

Pretty basic, I've recently noticed some of my friends have a huge number of Facebook friends that will comment, like and gush over any and all of their photos/status updates, etc. I don't have that sort of following and it does make me envious that a friend can get over a 100 likes on a photo in a day. I've started to get insecure and basically stop posting on Facebook anymore, which in turn makes it worse because you're less on peoples newsfeeds and so no one sees your updates- vicious cycle! I do realise that the more active you are on fb, the more popular you will inevitably become on fb, but a lot of it also has to do with having the kind of friends who don't mind posting on your wall or commenting on a photo, whereas my friends just prefer to communicate by text or inbox or something.

How do you guys deal with these complex facebook dynamics?! I keep telling myself it's not real life, like you have your few close friends and you've been told you're pretty but somehow since everyone is on facebook it's become the new form of social validation! Any tips, or responses from people who feel similarly (or don't- even better, I want to know how you stop yourself from being affected!) would be great.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Upload 72 pouting selfies a day.
Original post by Tom78
Upload 72 pouting selfies a day.

This doesn't always work :sad:
Facebook really isn't the be all and end all. If you feel insecure then I suggest you stop using facebook as much. After all, would posting a million selfies and knowing you got load of likes just because of that really satisfy your envy?
Reply 4
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Facebook really isn't the be all and end all. If you feel insecure then I suggest you stop using facebook as much. After all, would posting a million selfies and knowing you got load of likes just because of that really satisfy your envy?

Thanks for the response. I'm not a selfie person at all, literally the only time I take a selfie is to check that my makeup isn't crazy and then delete it right after. I have stopped using facebook to a great extent, but that's also the problem I pose in my original post- if I want to post something once in a while, if you're really inactive on fb, no one really sees it or likes/comments and that's what makes me insecure especially when I see other people who can post like a mundane status and get loads of likes and comments. I've never been a really insecure person but maybe that's because I was always pretty social and active on fb. I'm looking more for comments on how to deal with it and maybe reassure myself that fb isn't real life!
Reply 5
Original post by keromedic
This doesn't always work :sad:

You know I went on my mate's twitter last night, wondering why I haven't got an account, logged in and within about 30 seconds realised why. Most of social media is pure drivel, the only reason I like facebook is for the amount of jokes and music on there.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for the response. I'm not a selfie person at all, literally the only time I take a selfie is to check that my makeup isn't crazy and then delete it right after. I have stopped using facebook to a great extent, but that's also the problem I pose in my original post- if I want to post something once in a while, if you're really inactive on fb, no one really sees it or likes/comments and that's what makes me insecure especially when I see other people who can post like a mundane status and get loads of likes and comments. I've never been a really insecure person but maybe that's because I was always pretty social and active on fb. I'm looking more for comments on how to deal with it and maybe reassure myself that fb isn't real life!

I understand how its making you feel, but what you really have to think about is whats your situation like in real life? do you hang about with friends often, have fun and are happy? because if you have a social life then thats all that matters right? because think about it, in ten years will these people get some sort of award for getting all those likes on their photos years ago? or will no one remember or care?
also Ive found these people tend to just add thousands of people online and they all like each others stuff, its just a silly thing. it has no meaning. getting less likes, but genuine ones, are a lot better.
also if its girl id say that as unlikely as youd want this to be, it does happen: girls will message guys basically leading them on making them think theyll get sex, so the guys will constantly like their stuff because they think they have a chance. at least thats what the girls on my newsfeed do.. youll notice its pretty much 80% guys like this..
I even have older women on my friends lists whos simple posts get 50+ likes, but its only because they know a lot of people and older people tend to like like like.

but yeah, i wouldnt make it such an important thing to you, take up some new hobbies or interests and distract yourself, because without facebook then really how does real life change? people dont have hundreds of real friends.. its all a bit meaningless
Reply 8
like and friend random people and they usually do the same back.

Or just delete ur account. fb is more hassle than it's worth
Reply 9
You will see those people have over 1000 friends which are clearly not the amount of real friends they have. I deleted a lot of people so I only have 250 and I don't care as much cos I used to get lots of like before when I had 700 people added and now get like 30-40 but they are genuine. And there is also an evolutionary thing where people will like a post if it already has more likes to feel a part of the crowd. If you are happy in life don't care much about it. And if you want likes on photos use instagram cos you will get lots even if you don't have many followers.
And in real life I bet they have only said hello or never talked to 95% of those that liked the photos. And they all all the bs like4like stuff which is annoying cos its all over my feed.
I just tell myself it's all fake and the people that liked the photo will not tell them they are pretty in real life. Cos the most liked photos have boobs and asses hanging out or little clothing on to get all the attention they desire. It just only makes them feel good about themselves on the internet so don't worry about it. If you like yourself you have already achieved what they want so you are beating them :smile:
Reply 10
I've got instagram so it's only about 30 people that I actually like, selfie pouts will be met by fist.
Just consider why people use fb in the 1st place. Why does someone need to tell everyone they walked the dogs with friends or had a bbq in the sun or they have booked a holiday to rome or something... i mean we never used to announce it to everyone we have kind of met before when we do fairly normal things. its self validation. "tell me ur jealous or that i look great today" etc. Like nothing is worth doing unless everyone knows about it and LIKED that you "went to the shops and got 2 crates of beer" or whatever it is. at least thats how i see it. validate my actions and tell me my life is interesting and like my pics. that and being nosey and looking to see who people are dating or what theyve been up to i guess. to be honest all stuff i dont want associated with me. i dont wanna live for the appreciation of other people to validate my every action or choice and if i find myself doing that i question whether i took these pics for me or so that others think it looks cool..... I tend to question the motive behind friends posts i happen to read. why are you telling me this information? what do u get out of me liking that u told me this? fair enought fb is good for some stuff but i think ul agree 99% of whats posted is total "so what?" kind of information.
Open fake accounts, like and comment on your own stuff.
Just consider why people use fb in the 1st place. Why does someone need to tell everyone they walked the dogs with friends or had a bbq in the sun or they have booked a holiday to rome or something... i mean we never used to announce it to everyone we have kind of met before when we do fairly normal things. its self validation. "tell me ur jealous or that i look great today" etc. Like nothing is worth doing unless everyone knows about it and LIKED that you "went to the shops and got 2 crates of beer" or whatever it is. at least thats how i see it. validate my actions and tell me my life is interesting and like my pics. that and being nosey and looking to see who people are dating or what theyve been up to i guess. to be honest all stuff i dont want associated with me. i dont wanna live for the appreciation of other people to validate my every action or choice and if i find myself doing that i question whether i took these pics for me or so that others think it looks cool..... I tend to question the motive behind friends posts i happen to read. why are you telling me this information? what do u get out of me liking that u told me this? fair enought fb is good for some stuff but i think ul agree 99% of whats posted is total "so what?" kind of information.

While I kinda agree with some of this, I will say it is easier to organize things such as nights out or group assignments over fb at home and at uni than by text.
Reply 14
I hate all this ridiculous Facebook gushing. The people who do it tend to be sycophantic sheeple who like millions of photos because they've got nothing better to do with their lives. I bet if someone posted a photo of their poo someone would write "wow that's an amazing turd hun!" Okay so I'm exaggerating slightly but nothing would surprise me where Facebook is concerned. I find it all very fake anyway. Do these hundreds of people who like photos actually give a toss about that person in real life? Probably not.

Do you really need the validation of a hundred people liking your photo? I think that kind of thing just feeds people's egos and encourages them more. Maybe their self-esteem is that low that they need it but you can tell yourself that you don't need to validate your life through Facebook.
Pretty basic, I've recently noticed some of my friends have a huge number of Facebook friends that will comment, like and gush over any and all of their photos/status updates, etc. I don't have that sort of following and it does make me envious that a friend can get over a 100 likes on a photo in a day. I've started to get insecure and basically stop posting on Facebook anymore, which in turn makes it worse because you're less on peoples newsfeeds and so no one sees your updates- vicious cycle! I do realise that the more active you are on fb, the more popular you will inevitably become on fb, but a lot of it also has to do with having the kind of friends who don't mind posting on your wall or commenting on a photo, whereas my friends just prefer to communicate by text or inbox or something.

How do you guys deal with these complex facebook dynamics?! I keep telling myself it's not real life, like you have your few close friends and you've been told you're pretty but somehow since everyone is on facebook it's become the new form of social validation! Any tips, or responses from people who feel similarly (or don't- even better, I want to know how you stop yourself from being affected!) would be great.

Perhaps just stop using it? Or only go on it once a week. Your IQ will be restored to what it was before.
Original post by Isadora
I hate all this ridiculous Facebook gushing. The people who do it tend to be sycophantic sheeple who like millions of photos because they've got nothing better to do with their lives. I bet if someone posted a photo of their poo someone would write "wow that's an amazing turd hun!" Okay so I'm exaggerating slightly but nothing would surprise me where Facebook is concerned. I find it all very fake anyway. Do these hundreds of people who like photos actually give a toss about that person in real life? Probably not.

Do you really need the validation of a hundred people liking your photo? I think that kind of thing just feeds people's egos and encourages them more. Maybe their self-esteem is that low that they need it but you can tell yourself that you don't need to validate your life through Facebook.

Exactly. In this modern world of peverse social communication and networking, it's sheeple who rule, unfortunately.
Do you like and comment on other peoples posts? I reckon there is a lot of reciprocating liking that goes on, you like my photo, I'll like yours back.
Quit Facebook and hence quit the drama and the jealousy and the wasted thoughts of FB.
Reply 19
People always spout out about how terrible facebook is, but it's really about the kind of crowd you surround yourself with. Is someone uploading too many selfies? Do you really need them as a contact?

First things first, get rid of the people you don't care about, people you dislike, people of no interest. Don't worry about people confronting you for 'deleting me off facebook', step back, realise that they're getting upset because they haven't got their record-breaking friend count, laugh at them for being petty.

I keep my facebook for keeping in contact with friends, family, and also with select people from my university course who I feel would help if I need it, I also keep people I think would be of some use in the future. you don't have to add everyone in your class, or your course, that's what groups are for.

Once you've purged and cleaned your profile, you've got yourself a small community of actual people.

Don't worry about the people who have quadruple digit friends lists, because when you think about it, they're nothing but numbers. That's it really. Another like on a photo, another comment on a status, they're all meaningless really, even more so when there are hundreds of comments.

Focus on the people, not the numbers :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending