The Student Room Group

How to deal with Facebook jealousy?

Scroll to see replies

Don't go on facebook....Whaaaaaat? D:
Forget about facebook and start your own following in TSR :colone:
Reply 22
Original post by Chocolatesoup
I understand how its making you feel, but what you really have to think about is whats your situation like in real life? do you hang about with friends often, have fun and are happy? because if you have a social life then thats all that matters right? because think about it, in ten years will these people get some sort of award for getting all those likes on their photos years ago? or will no one remember or care?
also Ive found these people tend to just add thousands of people online and they all like each others stuff, its just a silly thing. it has no meaning. getting less likes, but genuine ones, are a lot better.
also if its girl id say that as unlikely as youd want this to be, it does happen: girls will message guys basically leading them on making them think theyll get sex, so the guys will constantly like their stuff because they think they have a chance. at least thats what the girls on my newsfeed do.. youll notice its pretty much 80% guys like this..
I even have older women on my friends lists whos simple posts get 50+ likes, but its only because they know a lot of people and older people tend to like like like.

but yeah, i wouldnt make it such an important thing to you, take up some new hobbies or interests and distract yourself, because without facebook then really how does real life change? people dont have hundreds of real friends.. its all a bit meaningless

Thanks, that was a really nice response :smile: and amen to the older women thing haha, my mum got on Facebook a few years back and she now gets so many likes and stuff on all her posts, way more than me! She'd is basically obsessed with it though, like she's always on it and in turn, I've grown less attached to it in the same time frame, except to post photos, so I can see how the more active you are, the more "popular" you are on fb.

Original post by Classical Liberal
Do you like and comment on other peoples posts? I reckon there is a lot of reciprocating liking that goes on, you like my photo, I'll like yours back.

This is true, good point. I almost never, it's not a conscious mean thing like oh I'm not going to like her photo, it just never used to occur to me. I do see that like one of my best friends will like some random persons photos and posts way more than mine, when she doesn't even particularly like that person, just because it's a reciprocative thing.

I really admire the people who've asserted that it's all ridiculous sycophantic behaviour that's propelling fb and I totally agree but I still feel compelled to follow the norm and stay in the loop so to speak! I'm not brave enough to completely quit fb though given by how inactive I've been in the past year or so, I pretty much have and just use it to message friends.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks, that was a really nice response :smile: and amen to the older women thing haha, my mum got on Facebook a few years back and she now gets so many likes and stuff on all her posts, way more than me! She'd is basically obsessed with it though, like she's always on it and in turn, I've grown less attached to it in the same time frame, except to post photos, so I can see how the more active you are, the more "popular" you are on fb.

This is true, good point. I almost never, it's not a conscious mean thing like oh I'm not going to like her photo, it just never used to occur to me. I do see that like one of my best friends will like some random persons photos and posts way more than mine, when she doesn't even particularly like that person, just because it's a reciprocative thing.

I really admire the people who've asserted that it's all ridiculous sycophantic behaviour that's propelling fb and I totally agree but I still feel compelled to follow the norm and stay in the loop so to speak! I'm not brave enough to completely quit fb though given by how inactive I've been in the past year or so, I pretty much have and just use it to message friends.

something I forgot to mention, the way facebook works is that you only really see stuff come up on your newsfeed mainly from people you interact with. those youve never messaged or liked anything by will tend to disappear from your feed. so if you dont use it often or even just like one thing by one person, youll kinda disappear from their feed and will be lower down on their friends list. so even if you went on it randomly one day after ages of being inactive to post something big like "just got engaged!" hardly anyone might see it because you havent interacted with them. just thought id mention that, cos i always think people have unfriended me because they seem to vanish from my feed but really its cos they never post anything or go on it so fb just kinda filters them out.
Reply 24
It isn't real life. You would be surprised how people can appear like celebrities On facebook, especially like amateur model girls. Then when you know them in real life, there life is as boring as yours, they are as skint as you, and they don't look half as sexy they look in they're modelling portfolio.
Reply 25
Original post by Chocolatesoup
something I forgot to mention, the way facebook works is that you only really see stuff come up on your newsfeed mainly from people you interact with. those youve never messaged or liked anything by will tend to disappear from your feed. so if you dont use it often or even just like one thing by one person, youll kinda disappear from their feed and will be lower down on their friends list. so even if you went on it randomly one day after ages of being inactive to post something big like "just got engaged!" hardly anyone might see it because you havent interacted with them. just thought id mention that, cos i always think people have unfriended me because they seem to vanish from my feed but really its cos they never post anything or go on it so fb just kinda filters them out.

Yeah I know, that was actually one of my points- how do you start getting back in the loop or back into people's news feeds when you've barely been on it? Fb is actually a pretty vicious cycle lol, the already popular get featured and get more popular, while less active users fade away!
What you need to realise is that facebook is a highlighted, glossed version of people's lives. I have friends who will take loads of photos on nights out, "check in" to everywhere they go, and then don't dance, and sit down the whole night because their feet hurt. But they will post up pictures, people will comment and then they will talk about how great a night it was, when in reality, they left at 11pm! Its ridiculous. Once you understand that facebook is not social validation, you will feel happier. People write up their statuses, and everyone comments on it, like as if it's necessary for public information. Most people don't give a damn!

I haven't updated a status in about 2 years, and I log on maybe about once a week for 5 minutes. But when someone asks "did you read this on the news feed?" I just say "no, I don't spend my life online, it's a little sad". I'd rather meet up with my friends then talk to them through a computer screen. The friends list are all numbers, think of the number of people who have added you by somehow finding your name, when you haven't even said a word to them! I got my hair done last month, and the hairdresser added me on fb a couple of days later. I'm assuming she searched my name in the appointment book. No I did not accept, she isn't my friend. I met her once!
Haha, I know the feeling - I used to delete status' that wouldn't get over 5 likes! I just end up very rarely posting and i'm fine with that :tongue: although I do understand what you mean, I get annoyed when I see loads of ugly guys pulling weird faces and then they get like 100 likes from girls. They're just a buncha swag ***s.
Reply 28
'Never compare your behind the scenes to someone else's highlight reel'. QFT!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending