The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

KCL Accommodation 2014/2015

Hello to all who are having as much difficulty as me deciding on where to live next year!
KCL is officially my firm choice, which I am so excited about, yet the reality of choosing which residence is much more of a challenging decision (rightly or wrongly). Hampstead & Wolfson House are the cheapest options, GDSA, Stamford, Moonraker & SSA are more expensive. Not sure about Champion Hill as it hasn't opened yet. Not sure what the train/bus links are like from the Ewan Henderson residence to The Strand...
Weighing it all up is hard!
Anyway, I wanted to start an UP TO DATE thread so get some ideas flowing :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Shannon Maree
Hello to all who are having as much difficulty as me deciding on where to live next year!
KCL is officially my firm choice, which I am so excited about, yet the reality of choosing which residence is much more of a challenging decision (rightly or wrongly). Hampstead & Wolfson House are the cheapest options, GDSA, Stamford, Moonraker & SSA are more expensive. Not sure about Champion Hill as it hasn't opened yet. Not sure what the train/bus links are like from the Ewan Henderson residence to The Strand...
Anyway, I wanted to start an UP TO DATE thread so get some ideas flowing :smile:

I'm hoping for GDSA, Moonraker or SSA! I'm a bit unsure about the new ones too because there's not much info about them!
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Have you applied? I ended up putting GDSA as my number 1. Wolfson 2nd, followed by Hampstead. I decided against Stamford St, mainly because it felt so anti-social despite the amazing location.

I'm all excited! What are you studying?

I've put moonraker point then ssa then gdsa and then the others in a certain order but can't remember what. I'm hoping for moonraker because it's a happy medium but if I were to get ssa or gdsa I wouldn't be disappointed at all :smile:
Reply 4
How does it work if you put a university as your insurance? Will I be homeless if I don't get the grades for my firm? :cry2:
Reply 5
Well Moonraker point looks lovely, it is the most expensive though so hopefully that won't be a problem for you! :smile: Which campus will you be studying at?
I'm taking European Studies at The Strand. Very excited, although it's a major pressure having to get three A's!

If you have put the university as your insurance choice, I don't think you're able to apply for accommodation- although I'm sure there will be people to help you if you end up going to Kings. You can apply later, after the publishing of the exam results, and you will still have a chance at getting a room- they're just likely to be the not-so-popular ones. That said, some people will miss their offer and places will become available because of that. So not to worry! Which uni have you put as your first choice?
Single Vs Studio rooms in the residences.... why are studios priced so much higher?
Well Moonraker point looks lovely, it is the most expensive though so hopefully that won't be a problem for you! :smile: Which campus will you be studying at?
I'm taking European Studies at The Strand. Very excited, although it's a major pressure having to get three A's!

If you have put the university as your insurance choice, I don't think you're able to apply for accommodation- although I'm sure there will be people to help you if you end up going to Kings. You can apply later, after the publishing of the exam results, and you will still have a chance at getting a room- they're just likely to be the not-so-popular ones. That said, some people will miss their offer and places will become available because of that. So not to worry! Which uni have you put as your first choice?

A lot of grovelling from my mum and promising to pay her back at the end of it all means I can go moonraker :tongue:

I'll be based at the Waterloo campus and am studying Adult Nursing. The reason it's a happy medium for me is because its exactly half way between two major hospitals and only a 10 minute walk to the campus :smile: What campus will you be based at?

And I know! I'm doing an access course but it wants 30 credit distinctions, 12 merits and a pass where my insurance only asks for 21 merits and thats it!

I'm very very excited for September to come about though! So want to be at King's just starting my adventure :tongue:
Is it true that Stamford Street is anti social - I've seen a lot of people saying this which has slightly put me off it (it was my first choice originally)

Can anyone give me anymore insight into it? Preferably someone who has lived there/ knows people who have!
Reply 9
I wanted to put Hampstead as my first choice but apparently it's closing down. Does anyone know if that's true?
Reply 10
Only one of the Hampstead blocks is being sold off/given back to its owners... The other block will still be used so you can still apply- yes. There are just fewer places.
Anyone know why I can't apply for accomodation? How many days does it usually take for the login to work after you firm?
Reply 12
has anyone got any information on stamford accommodation, is it anti social or actually good. which is better tho SSA or GDSA?
Reply 13
Have you applied? I ended up putting GDSA as my number 1. Wolfson 2nd, followed by Hampstead. I decided against Stamford St, mainly because it felt so anti-social despite the amazing location.

I'm just curious as to why you though SSA was anti-social. Personally I've applied but I haven't looked that much into the social aspect etc. What have you heard?
Reply 14
Original post by abhinavpoddar27
Single Vs Studio rooms in the residences.... why are studios priced so much higher?

A studio is basically a mini apartment which is all on one floor which is open plan with the exception of the bathroom - i.e bedroom, living room and possibly kitchen is all open plan
I'm doing children's nursing this year! I applied for the accommodation the other day and went for 1. Julian Markham house- thought it looked really nice and it's close to elephant & castle tube which is very direct to waterloo where I'll be! 2. SSA 3. Moonraker Point- So nice! 4. GDSA and I can't remember where I put the rest. So hope I get one of my top 4!
Hi! I just firmed King's!! (so excited!)

Accommodations seem really expensive. I am considering Hampstead and Wolfson as firsts because they are cheaper. But does the extra money make up for the travel time/ cost of Hampstead? And while Wolfson is closer to guy's and surely very social, is there enough privacy? (thinking of the bathroom sharing here.)

Has anyone visited Wolfson, what's it like?
Original post by pancake_sugar
Hi! I just firmed King's!! (so excited!)

Accommodations seem really expensive. I am considering Hampstead and Wolfson as firsts because they are cheaper. But does the extra money make up for the travel time/ cost of Hampstead? And while Wolfson is closer to guy's and surely very social, is there enough privacy? (thinking of the bathroom sharing here.)

Has anyone visited Wolfson, what's it like?

A bit rubbish, very dark, small rooms tiny kitchen etc but apparently socially it's amazing. If I got there (4th choice) I'd have to hire a fridge because you share Kitchen between 13

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by callummj6747
A bit rubbish, very dark, small rooms tiny kitchen etc but apparently socially it's amazing. If I got there (4th choice) I'd have to hire a fridge because you share Kitchen between 13

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesn't sound too appealing from what you said...
I feel like I wont put it as high up in my choices now! But its a shame, the location is amazing compared to Hampstead :frown:

Thanks !
Reply 19
I've put KCL as my first choice and am coming from Northern Ireland. A friend and I are hoping to share a room at Hampstead, however I'm just wondering how long it takes door-door from there down to Strand and from there to Guy's? (I'm doing physics and she's doing physio, hence the different campuses.)

Quick Reply

Latest