The Student Room Group

Continue with ACCA or do ACA at KPMG from beginning??

Was hoping I could have some advice from someone who has been in a similar situation to me.

Iv completed me degree in accounting and have received 8 acca exemptions. im currently studying my last foundation paper, so i should hopefully be part qualified by july and only have 5 papers left.

However, im am also applying to KPMG audit graduate role. The role will require me to do ACA and to complete the full 15 papers (from the beginning) within the 3 years. The thing which I am indecisive about is whether I should continue with my application to KPMG (currently at the telephone interview stage) or decline and find a job which supports ACCA.

I understand that KPMG would be an amazing opportunity but I dont think im up to doing 3 very intense years full of exams.

If anyone could advise me that would be great. Also if anyone has been on KPMG auditing grad scheme and could tell me about their experience (eg work/life balance) I would also really appreciate it. thank u all
Reply 1
Original post by Student9
Was hoping I could have some advice from someone who has been in a similar situation to me.

Iv completed me degree in accounting and have received 8 acca exemptions. im currently studying my last foundation paper, so i should hopefully be part qualified by july and only have 5 papers left.

However, im am also applying to KPMG audit graduate role. The role will require me to do ACA and to complete the full 15 papers (from the beginning) within the 3 years. The thing which I am indecisive about is whether I should continue with my application to KPMG (currently at the telephone interview stage) or decline and find a job which supports ACCA.

I understand that KPMG would be an amazing opportunity but I dont think im up to doing 3 very intense years full of exams.

If anyone could advise me that would be great. Also if anyone has been on KPMG auditing grad scheme and could tell me about their experience (eg work/life balance) I would also really appreciate it. thank u all

There is no way KPMG will have a problem with you being ACCA qualified. It means you'll cost them less money and you'll be qualified quicker meaning they can charge you out at a higher rate to clients.

A percentage of KPMG audit grads do the ACCA. I met one of them.

P.S - Why doesn't your degree also give you exemptions from the ACA?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
OP - have you investigated what exemptions you could have from the ACA? I highly doubt you could be exempt from 8 ACCA papers and 0 ACA papers, so worth checking.

If not you've got a tough choice ahead, as KPMG would be good for your CV but that is a lot of exams to take on if avoidable. May be best to finish your ACCA in industry.

Original post by 7M33R
There is no way KPMG will have a problem with you being ACCA qualified. It means you'll cost them less money and you'll be qualified quicker meaning they can charge you out at a higher rate to clients.

A percentage of KPMG audit grads do the ACCA. I met one of them.

P.S - Why doesn't your degree also give you exemptions from the ACA?

I disagree. I presume the OP hasn't got practical experience, so in reality qualification takes an equal amount of time either way. Big 4 tend to be inflexible when it comes to qualification - if they train their grads towards the ACA then he will be expected to do those exams. I'm not sure about KPMG specifically, but are those grads doing ACCA not in a certain division? Like Public Sector Audit or school leavers etc?
Reply 3
Original post by M1011
OP - have you investigated what exemptions you could have from the ACA? I highly doubt you could be exempt from 8 ACCA papers and 0 ACA papers, so worth checking.

If not you've got a tough choice ahead, as KPMG would be good for your CV but that is a lot of exams to take on if avoidable. May be best to finish your ACCA in industry.

I disagree. I presume the OP hasn't got practical experience, so in reality qualification takes an equal amount of time either way. Big 4 tend to be inflexible when it comes to qualification - if they train their grads towards the ACA then he will be expected to do those exams. I'm not sure about KPMG specifically, but are those grads doing ACCA not in a certain division? Like Public Sector Audit or school leavers etc?

That's a good point. The grad I met wasn't a school leaver, all she told me was that a certain percentage of Grads need to do the ACCA for some reason. Maybe she was is P.S but IDK what difference that would make?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by 7M33R
That's a good point. The grad I met wasn't a school leaver, all she told me was that a certain percentage of Grads need to do the ACCA for some reason. Maybe she was is P.S but IDK what difference that would make?

I guess the point is the OP is applying to KPMG audit, and it would appear from their website that means ACA. It's not a case of pick and choose what qualification you want to do when you get there, if he specifically wants to continue ACCA and if there is a graduate route that would allow that at KPMG, he would have to make sure he is specifically applying to that area. Not to say any of that isn't possible, but it doesn't sound like that is what has happened so far judging by the first post!
Reply 5
Original post by M1011
I guess the point is the OP is applying to KPMG audit, and it would appear from their website that means ACA. It's not a case of pick and choose what qualification you want to do when you get there, if he specifically wants to continue ACCA and if there is a graduate route that would allow that at KPMG, he would have to make sure he is specifically applying to that area. Not to say any of that isn't possible, but it doesn't sound like that is what has happened so far judging by the first post!

Yeah makes sense. I'm in advisory so its a lot more flexible when it comes to qualifications.

OP if you want I can PM you the PQT lady's email.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending