The Student Room Group

Pros and Cons of a Dentistry degree?

I was wondering what I could expect from a Dentistry degree, how competitive it is to get onto the course? The likelihood of a job after the degree? And anything else that would be useful to know.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Well, in order to become a dental hygienist, you must earn at least an associate's degree. This will require at least two years of classes, and possibly summer courses. Many schools offer a bachelor's program, which includes four years of instruction. While both choices are acceptable, a bachelor's degree can mean more job opportunities and higher pay.
Reply 2
Original post by rougetas
I was wondering what I could expect from a Dentistry degree, how competitive it is to get onto the course? The likelihood of a job after the degree? And anything else that would be useful to know.

Original post by JayveeS
Well, in order to become a dental hygienist, you must earn at least an associate's degree. This will require at least two years of classes, and possibly summer courses. Many schools offer a bachelor's program, which includes four years of instruction. While both choices are acceptable, a bachelor's degree can mean more job opportunities and higher pay.

She asked about dentistry not dental hygiene and therapy, as for bachelors degrees they're 5 years long not 4.

The course is very competitive and very hard work. You're looking at 5 years of serious work. The upside is that dentistry has extremely good employment opportunities.

You need to have outstanding academic records.
You need to sit an entrance exam called the UKCAT
You need to have volunteering to show your caring nature and work experience related to dentistry to show commitment and interest
You need to be able to demonstrate some level of manual dexterity in one way or another
You need to want it more than anything
You need to get at least AAA for a level
You need to ace your interview

There is more...but those should be enough to get on with.

Quick Reply

Latest