The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Wheatley Campus

How is the accommodation at Wheatley? Also how do the buses work to get to and from the city? Do you have to buy a bus pass or are you just given one for free, etc.

Much appreciated. Love the city, just not the 7 mile gap between the city and where i'll be studying.
Reply 1
The halls there are awful..
I'd prefer a 7 mile bus journey. You'll get a bus pass living in Halls for the U1 bus which runs straight from the city and the main campus to Wheatley.

And if you want to be joining in with anything outside of lectures its better not to live at Wheatley
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Original post by dizzel15
The halls there are awful..
I'd prefer a 7 mile bus journey. You'll get a bus pass living in Halls for the U1 bus which runs straight from the city and the main campus to Wheatley.

And if you want to be joining in with anything outside of lectures its better not to live at Wheatley

Is the bus pass active for the length of my course? Also, how long does it take to get wheatley from the city?

That's one thing I was concerned about, all the other halls are in the city so I would be out of the loop if I stayed 7 miles away.

Which halls do you recommend? Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by PickwickianGeek
Is the bus pass active for the length of my course? Also, how long does it take to get wheatley from the city?

That's one thing I was concerned about, all the other halls are in the city so I would be out of the loop if I stayed 7 miles away.

Which halls do you recommend? Thank you :biggrin:

The bus pass situation is as follows, If you are living in halls you get it in every year your in the hall. If you pay the full £9000 you get a bus pass.

It takes about 20 mins to get from Wheatley to the Gipsy Lane campus (which is where most of the activities take place), and about another 10 mins from that to get into the city centre.

I wouldn't say that you would be out of the loop, you would still be able to do things with the flat mates you have at Wheatley. Also I live at Harcourt (which is the far other side of the city) and I am really involved in a few of the societies.

I'd look to live in somewhere like Cheney or Clive Booth if you want to be in the middle of everything, but Wheatley if you prefer the piece and quite of the being further out.
Original post by dizzel15
The bus pass situation is as follows, If you are living in halls you get it in every year your in the hall. If you pay the full £9000 you get a bus pass.

It takes about 20 mins to get from Wheatley to the Gipsy Lane campus (which is where most of the activities take place), and about another 10 mins from that to get into the city centre.

I wouldn't say that you would be out of the loop, you would still be able to do things with the flat mates you have at Wheatley. Also I live at Harcourt (which is the far other side of the city) and I am really involved in a few of the societies.

I'd look to live in somewhere like Cheney or Clive Booth if you want to be in the middle of everything, but Wheatley if you prefer the piece and quite of the being further out.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. What course are you doing and how has your experience of Oxford Brookes been so far? Sorry if I'm prodding you with too many questions, the website is useless!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending