The Student Room Group
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Northumbria University - Primary PGCE 2014/2015

Has anyone one else accepted an offer to do their Primary PGCE 2014/2015 at Northumbria?

Scroll to see replies

Hi Naomi,

Just came across your thread. I had my interview last month and have accepted a conditional offer from Northumbria :smile: Still have to complete the Numeracy skills test though :s-smilie: When was your interview?/have you done your skills tests yet?

Rachael.
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Hi Rachael

I have just been offered an interview for Northumbria University to do my Primary PGCE. I was just wondering if you could give me any information on what it involves as you ahev already doen yours. Congrats on being offered a place :smile:

Michelle
Original post by RachaelHenderson
Hi Naomi,

Just came across your thread. I had my interview last month and have accepted a conditional offer from Northumbria :smile: Still have to complete the Numeracy skills test though :s-smilie: When was your interview?/have you done your skills tests yet?

Rachael.

Hi Rachael

I have just been offered an interview for Northumbria University to do my Primary PGCE. I was just wondering if you could give me any information on what it involves as you ahev already doen yours. Congrats on being offered a place

Michelle
Hi Michelle,

Thank you :smile: The interview was very laid back and one of the best Uni interviews I've had. For mine, we were split into two groups and were asked the usual predictable questions. We then each read from a children's book as if we were reading to five year old's and talked about the book in a group discussion.
We then had our individual interviews where we talked about our classroom experience which only lasted around 15 mins max.
Have you completed your skills tests?

Good luck :smile:

Rachael
Hi Rachael

I have passed my Literacy Skills Test and am sitting my Numeracy one next week. I am dreading it though as i am terrible with Maths, especially Mental Arithmatic. Do you remember what children's book it was? I haven't read a children's book for ages, i will need to start practicing i think. Do they ask the usual questions of what is going on in education at the minute and other educational issues etc? Have you sat your skills tests yet?

Thnaks for the infor :smile:

Michelle
Hi Michelle,

No problem :smile: I've done the literacy and will probably be doing the numeracy in the summer. I am also dreading that one! We had 'The lighthouse Keeper's Lunch' but I did notice 'The Gruffalo'. I wouldn't worry about this part as you're only reading a page or so. I wasn't asked directly about any educational issues (as far as I can remember) but it is always good to be prepared to talk about them! It's more of an informal chat really but the more classroom experience you have and can talk about the better, I'd say. When is your interview? Let me know how the numeracy test goes :smile:

Rachael
Hi Rachael

My interview is next Wednesday, i don't feel quite so nervous after what you have said about it as it seems quite relaxed. I did my numeracy test last night and passed...phew!! I failed every practice test i did but luckily passed the real one. I am sure you will be fine, i just did lots of revision beforehand to familiarise myself with basic maths as i haven't really done it for years.

Michelle
Reply 8
Original post by Naomi 1987
Has anyone one else accepted anoffer to do their Primary PGCE 2014/2015 at Northumbria?

I did! Just my professional skills tests to do at the end of the month!
Hi Everyone

I have accepted an offer. Are any of you planning to live in Halls? I am but not sure where to apply to. I don't want to live with lots of youn undergraduates :smile:

Thanks

Michelle
Reply 10
Hello Everyone,

Sorry I haven't replied to anyone (I'd forgotten that I had started this thread to be honest!)

My interview was very similar to what Rachael said. We read "Room on the Broom".

I'm living at home Michelle as I just live in Durham. So I can't help with accommodation because I've not looked into it.

Is anyone going to the pre registration thing on 2nd July?
Reply 11
Oh I forgot to mention, I passed both my skills tests shortly after my interview but the Maths one is horrible so try and get it out the way as soon as you can.

Naomi Xxx
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi Naomi

Congrats on passing your skills tests. I agree that the Maths one is HORRIBLE!! I could hear my heart pounding when i was in the room taking it!!

I have applied for Halls because i currently live in Scotland but i imagine that alot of people will be living at home during the course. Do you know anyone else doing the course?

I can't go to the pre-registration thing as i will be on holiday, so they said i could go down another day to fill out all the DBS forms :smile:

xx
Reply 13
Hello Michelle,

I don't know anyone on the course yet but I presume that I will recognise a couple from the interviews. It would be good to know before the course starts though.

Xxx
Hi, I am starting in Northumbria on the PGCE Primary course in Sept, but doing the Flexible learning method. Wondering if anyone else is doing it this way? Also, did anyone go to the pre-registration event yesterday (wed 2nd July)?? I couldn't make it as I'm coming from N.Ireland, wondering if there was much useful information?
Reply 15
I went yesterday. I'm doing the ordinary Primary PGCE but there were people their who were doing the flexi course. I found yesterday quite helpful as we had a subject session where we we're told about lots of pre course tasks we would have to do and books we had to get etc.

We should all be getting a pack through in the next couple of weeks.
Hey, i really wanted to go yesterday but couldn't. Did you get to meet some nice people? Are there lots of pre-course tasks to do? I go on holiday soon so hope i can fit it all in. xx
That's good we are getting packs sent. I assume all the info will be included in them? Certainly hope so! Was there any information on Finance at all?
That's good we are getting packs sent. I assume all the info will be included in them? Certainly hope so! Was there any information on Finance at all?
Reply 19
Hi, I am doing the PGCE primary at Northumbria in Sept. Do you have any idea what date the course starts on? I'm from Ireland, trying to suss out when the best time to move over is.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending