The Student Room Group

Does Electronic Engineering need good chemistry knowledge?

Hi, I am interested in studying electronic engineering in university and have enjoyed study maths and physics in school but I am not very good at chemistry, or maybe I don't like it, one or the other. But anyway, I just wanted to ask do you need a deep understanding of chemistry to study electronic engineering, because I don't think I would enjoy it too much if its A Level equivalent???? if so what topics might you study???
No, you don't need much understanding of chemistry at all to study electrical/electronic engineering.
Reply 2
I have the same question, i enjoying math and physics, but chemistry is pain in the ass, i dont understand anything of it, my grades in chemistry are very bad, but math and physic are great. In eee course i dont find that you will be learning chemistry or something simillar to that( i'm happy of that ) but do universities look at my chemistry grades? Will i be rejected because i am very bad at it? This question is in my head for very long time, i will be very thankful for any info.
(P.s sorry for mistakes, english isnt my first language, still learning it)
No, there isn't a lot of chemistry at all, in fact the only area of Electronics which uses a bit of chemistry is Nano ( Sometimes called Semiconductor Electronics).

You'll be fine, I only did chemistry up to GCSE and I coped fine.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
There's no need for you to do a level chemistry.
To study EE Engineering, you do not need to have an excellent knowledge of chemistry. However is you want to go into research on new semiconductors etc.. Chemistry will probably help as well as physics. That is the science behind.

You need to make sure though that you get three good A levels ( Maths, physics and another science related/further maths or design and technology). That is the minimum requirement for most universities. minimum BBB.

It is all about maths !

Quick Reply

Latest