The Student Room Group

Riga Stradins University - Latvia - Medical School (English)

Anybody applying here this year (September 2014).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Eoin Patrick
Anybody applying here this year (September 2014).

Hello,

I am thinking about it.

Fees are a bit too much .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by woztar
Hello,

I am thinking about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed.. Its a bit heavy in comparison to some neighbouring courses, but cost of living looks good, I saw a beautiful apartment over looking the baltic sea right on the harbour for 230euro a month!

Its hard to justify paying more for the tuition but if you weigh up the pro's and con's it just seems worth it. They have a very good reputation from what I gather, plus they are GMC approved, plus you have easy access to the UK and Ireland with ryanair!!

Another good point to make is they do not expect you to learn latvian, as in as part of the course/exams... I was speaking to someone in another forum from UK studying there.. during placement they were working with a latvian med student who dealt with the communication issue as the latvian students need to learn english.. so we help each other essentially!
Reply 3
Hmmm.

Still thinking about it. It seems like a good option and that was a very good point about travel.

One could easily get direct flights, a clear advantage over the neighbouring countries.

By any chance do you know when they give out offers? I know the registration hasn't even opened yet!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hi I'm sending my application in this week for the September entry, are you from the UK?
Reply 5
Yep, I'm in the UK

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I'm also thinking about applying, I don't think I'll get into medical school here in the UK. Does anybody know what average grades applicants who receive offers have?
Reply 7
Original post by preovnb
I'm also thinking about applying, I don't think I'll get into medical school here in the UK. Does anybody know what average grades applicants who receive offers have?

Hi, I think the admissions staff looks at the overall personality of your application. By the way are you in the UK?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by woztar
Hi, I think the admissions staff looks at the overall personality of your application. By the way are you in the UK?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello friend, yes from the UK. And you? What else does the admission team look for? i.e. work experience etc.
I have two accounts :biggrin: Are you applying for Feb 2015?
Reply 10
Original post by theonlygangster
Hello friend, yes from the UK. And you? What else does the admission team look for? i.e. work experience etc.

Hello. Yes, I am also in the UK.

To be honest, your motivation to study Medicine.
BTW, Have you completed your A-Levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

I've been offered a place to study medicine at Riga this September, just wondering whether anyone else has applied from the UK?
Reply 12
Original post by ellalucie
Hi,

I've been offered a place to study medicine at Riga this September, just wondering whether anyone else has applied from the UK?

Hello,

I've also been offered a place to study in September.

I also applied from the UK.

Have you received anything by post yet?
Original post by woztar
Hello,

I am thinking about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don’t take your decision in a hurry. Its course fee seems bit heavy to me. First compare the tuition fees with some other medical schools. I have already found some negative opinion about this medical school. I suggest you to search for other medical school. You must find out the best medical school.
Original post by woztar
Hello,

I've also been offered a place to study in September.

I also applied from the UK.

Have you received anything by post yet?

Not yet I'm waiting for the acceptance letter in the post my agent got alerted last week and let me know, have you received anything?
Reply 15
Original post by ellalucie
Not yet I'm waiting for the acceptance letter in the post my agent got alerted last week and let me know, have you received anything?

I'm in a similar position.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey guys
Is Riga better than Plovdiv? These are my two best options personally. It seems better in terms of reputation and their website seems more informative. Is anyone currently at Riga?

Thanks
Hello guys

I need a bit of advice if possible. I have just finished my A levels and awaiting results in August. I am thinking of deferring my entry into UK schools for a science degree and pursuing medicine abroad and Riga is one of my options. I understand that Riga want their applicants to have completed their A levels before applying (so I am in the perfect position in this sense). However my A level subjects were Chemistry, Maths and Psychology; I have not studied Biology at A level. Does anyone know if Riga require Biology at A level as compulsory or would I still be able to apply? Also I am probably looking to get grades ABB at A level (in Psychology, chemistry, maths respectively). Does anyone know what grades Riga would require?

Any help would be widely appreciated. Thank you!
Reply 18
Hi guys

Congrats on getting a spot!

Like Californicationn I would also like to know which subjects I should have completed at A level? Which subjects did you have at A level to get a spot? And did you have good grades or just average in them?

I have Biology and Math at A level, but chemistry and physics at B level - will this be good enough to get accepted?

Thank you :smile:
Hi I am thinking of applying this year for September 2015 entry. I am in year 13 now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending