The Student Room Group

Functional skills level 2 - ucas points?

Hi,

I am doing 3 A-Levels and as I don't have a grade C in maths, I am taking functional skills level 2. But at a different college from where I am doing my A-Levels
On the ucas website, it's confusing as to whether i get the 10 points for taking it, can anybody clarify this?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by hasan-1-
Hi,

I am doing 3 A-Levels and as I don't have a grade C in maths, I am taking functional skills level 2. But at a different college from where I am doing my A-Levels
On the ucas website, it's confusing as to whether i get the 10 points for taking it, can anybody clarify this?

No. Functional skills is not included. Most, if not all universities wouldn't count it. I have a functional skills qualification alongside my English GCSE but I was told by my college that universities don't look at functional skills.
UCAS
For admission to HE from 2011 onwards, UCAS Tariff points will only be allocated to level 2 qualifications if both the following criteria are met:

They are broad skills qualifications Core Skills, Essential Skills, Essential Skills Wales, Functional Skills, Key Skills.

They are being studied as part of a wider composite qualification, such as 14-19 Diplomas or Welsh Baccalaureate.

Essential Skills Wales at levels 3 and 4 will continue to attract Tariff points in their own right.

http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/explore-your-options/entry-requirements/tariff-tables

In other words, almost certainly not.
Reply 3
Hi,

I don't know about ucas points because I'm doing an access course which is different in the points department. But I have done the level 2 Maths and English because I did not have the GCSE's and I have gotten into Sheffield Hallam university with them. Ring the universities you want to apply for and see if they accept them, doesn't hurt to ask.
Reply 4
The uni will accept it but I don't understand this bit 'They are being studied as part of a wider composite qualification, such as 14-19 Diplomas or Welsh Baccalaureate.'
The uni will accept it but I don't understand this bit 'They are being studied as part of a wider composite qualification, such as 14-19 Diplomas or Welsh Baccalaureate.'

If you're just doing A Levels, it won't give you UCAS points is what it comes down to

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending