The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Ask a Current Student Thread

Hi all

I know some of you will be receiving offers and will potentially choose Aberdeen as your first or second choice to start in September. Or, you may be thinking about applying and starting next year.

I'm in my fourth and final year studying MA Economics and will be graduating in July. It's been a great 4 years and I've really enjoyed the experience and meeting some great people. You will definitely enjoy Aberdeen if you go!

So, if any of you have any particular questions about Aberdeen uni or Aberdeen in general, don't be afraid to ask!

I managed to secure a graduate job in Aberdeen, starting in September, so I'll still be around!

-Adam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi Adam,
I appreciate your help.
1. Do you have many mature students around (over 30 y/o)? I'm possibly starting Finance & Management studies (I have offer from Aberdeen but still waiting for Edinburgh to respond)

2. Regarding accommodation, which would suit for me as a mature student who values quietness? :smile:

3. Did you found some courses almost impossible to comprehend or has studying been easy for you?

4. What was/is your monthly budget is you don't calculate your accommodation costs?

Thanks!
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Hi Adam,

I've also got a couple of questions.

a) WHat exchange year opportunities were presented to you and did you/why didnt you take up on them?

b) What is the part-time work situation like in Aberdeen? And what is an idea of wages?

c) What's the music scene like? Any local venues etc. Is it doable to drive down to Edi/GG just for a concert?

Chur!
Reply 3
Original post by stillness
Hi Adam,
I appreciate your help.
1. Do you have many mature students around (over 30 y/o)? I'm possibly starting Finance & Management studies (I have offer from Aberdeen but still waiting for Edinburgh to respond)

2. Regarding accommodation, which would suit for me as a mature student who values quietness? :smile:

3. Did you found some courses almost impossible to comprehend or has studying been easy for you?

4. What was/is your monthly budget is you don't calculate your accommodation costs?

Thanks!

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you!

1. We've had a few mature students in our classes, so I wouldn't worry!

2. Elphinestone Hall and King's Hall have a lot of post-grad and mature students in them, so it's worth checking them out. You can found out more info about uni halls here: http://www.abdn.ac.uk/accommodation/prospective-students/catered-halls-43.php

3. If I'm honest, my course has been pretty relaxed I know people who are doing Engineering and they've been up to their eyes since 2nd year. Even in 4th year, it still feels like 1st year!

4. I'm not a good example for your typical student, as I was able to get a good paying job at the beginning of 3rd year right through until just a few months ago. Therefore, I was spending a lot more than the typical student would. I was averaging about £40 a week on food. Other expenses would vary, but I would try and not spend more than £30 on going out etc. Some weeks I would only have my food bill, other weeks if I went out a lot, it would be a lot more expensive.

Hope this helps!
Reply 4
Original post by stuffedolivia
Hi Adam,

I've also got a couple of questions.

a) WHat exchange year opportunities were presented to you and did you/why didnt you take up on them?

b) What is the part-time work situation like in Aberdeen? And what is an idea of wages?

c) What's the music scene like? Any local venues etc. Is it doable to drive down to Edi/GG just for a concert?

Chur!

Again, I'm sorry for the late reply to this thread!

a) In 2nd year, you have an opportunity to study abroad and this is well publicised. I didn't go away as I wasn't ready to do something like that at the time. If I had the opportunity now, I definitely would!

b) There is lots of part time work available. From working behind a bar, in a nightclub, in a shop etc. I worked as a part-time photographer at a nightclub for about 18 months.

c) There are a lot of local venues playing various genres. Edinburgh is around a 3 to a 3 1/4 hour drive away. Expect a lot of the clubs in Aberdeen to play the usual chart/dance, but there are some venues that play house music and some are exclusively rock and even motown on selected nights. Additionally, there are a number of pubs which do acoustic nights.

Adam
Reply 5
Hi!

I got a conditional offer from University of Aberdeen to study Economics with finanace (joint honours)and you have studied it so it's perfect I found someone like you.

I am between studying Economics and management at Edinburgh Napier University or at University of Aberdeen.

I would like to know more about studying economics.(demanding, a lot of homework , a lot to study, good teaching, timetable.....)

I have seen that there are a lot of exams. Are there that many as I think? Are they difficult?

Also, do you need books or something? Do they cost a lot?

Do you know where I can get a shared flat with students up to 300 GBP monthly.

Thank you very much in advance.
Reply 6
I also have some questions to ask:

- Does Aberdeen uni have a good reputation amongst employers in the UK/ Ireland or even internationally?
- What about the management course? Is it good there? Does it have a good reputation?
- Is it the weather really that bad, especially in winter?
- Are Scottish people really that open?
- With how many people do you usually share a flat? Is it possible to find a private one with one or max two other people?

Thanks a lot!
Reply 7
I am really interedted in sharing a flat wit students from there... as I don't find one cheap room I will have to choose to Napier Universities as there are a lot of links on facebook pages and they are not that expensive. Any help to look for cheap rooms in Aberdeen or someone from there who shares any room?

Thanks
Reply 8
Original post by AdamHutchy
Hi all

-Adam

Hey
I have a dilemma of choosing the right type of accommodation. Which of the university houses would you recommend? It's easy to find information about prices and types of catering but I'm more interested in other features. Which ones would give the best community feel and wouldn't be a long walk to the university buildings (20min walk maximum)?

Really appreciate it :}
Reply 9
Hi Adam,a few questions...
1. In first year did you go catered or self-catered and what was your opinion of your option?
2. Is there anywhere which is considered the best accommodation, particularly for first year students?
3. How expensive is living in Aberdeen (student wise)?
4.How easy is it to get from the Hillhead accommodation to the main campus and are there buses or do you have to walk?

And just overall your opinion of the Uni :smile:
Thanks!
Original post by Kup-Kake
Hi Adam,a few questions...
1. In first year did you go catered or self-catered and what was your opinion of your option?
2. Is there anywhere which is considered the best accommodation, particularly for first year students?
3. How expensive is living in Aberdeen (student wise)?
4.How easy is it to get from the Hillhead accommodation to the main campus and are there buses or do you have to walk?

And just overall your opinion of the Uni :smile:
Thanks!

Hey, thought I'd reply to this as I am a 1st (nearly 2nd) year student of languages at Aberdeen.

1. I am in South House - self-catered halls in Hillhead. They are pretty good, they are very cosy and the room sizes aren't too bad. Most of the accommodation now has been modernised, South House is next apparently!

2.Depends what you want out of accommodation, and your own budget. Obviously going into New Carnegie is good as you have your own ensuite and the rooms are more modern and you guys would have a living space (in South House we only have the kitchen table).

3. For food shopping, you just need to shop around a bit. Luckily Lidl is close to Hillhead, and it's not expensive really. A lot of people (including me) also get online deliveries, such as Asda (I hear they are dropping their delivery cost to £1?). Clubs can be expensive - Institute is £5 entry and drinks are not that cheap either, but if you go on Tuesdays to places like Underground it is free guest list entry (make use of guest lists! discounted entry!) and £1 a drink.

4. Hillhead is a 15-20 minute walk to and from the actual University itself through Seaton park (slightly hilly, you can get out of breath haha but good exercise), but there are also buses in the centre of Hillhead which take under 10 minutes to get there, running every 20 minutes. A huge reminder is that if you are a young Scottish student, remember to take your Youth Bus Pass! A £2.50 or so journey to the town centre becomes £1.65 with one of them. Student Day Ticket to hop on and off whenever you want during the day is £3.50 with University card. Night buses also run and are £3 (can't get discounts unfortunately), they don't run on weekdays but at the weekend they can take you home at like 3am.
Original post by dan's
I am really interedted in sharing a flat wit students from there... as I don't find one cheap room I will have to choose to Napier Universities as there are a lot of links on facebook pages and they are not that expensive. Any help to look for cheap rooms in Aberdeen or someone from there who shares any room?

Thanks

Have a look on gumtree :smile: or just flat advertisements in general online.
Original post by hattiemcbinky
Hey, thought I'd reply to this as I am a 1st (nearly 2nd) year student of languages at Aberdeen.

1. I am in South House - self-catered halls in Hillhead. They are pretty good, they are very cosy and the room sizes aren't too bad. Most of the accommodation now has been modernised, South House is next apparently!

2.Depends what you want out of accommodation, and your own budget. Obviously going into New Carnegie is good as you have your own ensuite and the rooms are more modern and you guys would have a living space (in South House we only have the kitchen table).

3. For food shopping, you just need to shop around a bit. Luckily Lidl is close to Hillhead, and it's not expensive really. A lot of people (including me) also get online deliveries, such as Asda (I hear they are dropping their delivery cost to £1?). Clubs can be expensive - Institute is £5 entry and drinks are not that cheap either, but if you go on Tuesdays to places like Underground it is free guest list entry (make use of guest lists! discounted entry!) and £1 a drink.

4. Hillhead is a 15-20 minute walk to and from the actual University itself through Seaton park (slightly hilly, you can get out of breath haha but good exercise), but there are also buses in the centre of Hillhead which take under 10 minutes to get there, running every 20 minutes. A huge reminder is that if you are a young Scottish student, remember to take your Youth Bus Pass! A £2.50 or so journey to the town centre becomes £1.65 with one of them. Student Day Ticket to hop on and off whenever you want during the day is £3.50 with University card. Night buses also run and are £3 (can't get discounts unfortunately), they don't run on weekdays but at the weekend they can take you home at like 3am.

Thank you so much! Do you have any opinions on self catered/catered? I'm having a really hard time choosing...
Your answers/advice was so helpful thank you! I just need to choose accommodation now..
:smile:
Original post by Kup-Kake
Thank you so much! Do you have any opinions on self catered/catered? I'm having a really hard time choosing...
Your answers/advice was so helpful thank you! I just need to choose accommodation now..
:smile:

Well I'm just in self-catering so I can't really comment on the catered, but I personally don't see much point in the catered ones, if you are a picky person you should go self-catered. Surely you'd also just want something of your own choice rather than what's on offer. They also don't give you food whenever you want, only certain meals, so you'll still have to prepare meals anyway, or if you aren't on time for the meals. To me, it doesn't seem like the best option, but if you have the spare funds then it's entirely up to you.
Well I'm just in self-catering so I can't really comment on the catered, but I personally don't see much point in the catered ones, if you are a picky person you should go self-catered. Surely you'd also just want something of your own choice rather than what's on offer. They also don't give you food whenever you want, only certain meals, so you'll still have to prepare meals anyway, or if you aren't on time for the meals. To me, it doesn't seem like the best option, but if you have the spare funds then it's entirely up to you.

Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking it's just thinking about times when I've been in the library all day studying or just had a really tiring day or whatever if I can really be bothered to go to ASDA or whatever and buy stuff and then make dinner. But the reality is that's what I'll have to do for second year so in a way I suppose it might be useful to get into that habit anyway. Also if you say that it's easy enough/cheap enough to get deliveries then that would also solve that problem a bit. Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 15
Thanks for the thread. I have some questions about transportation. Do students mostly take the bus to town? or walk? (£2.50 sounds a bit expensive) And is cycling a common thing in Aberdeen?
Original post by aphiemi
Thanks for the thread. I have some questions about transportation. Do students mostly take the bus to town? or walk? (£2.50 sounds a bit expensive) And is cycling a common thing in Aberdeen?

To town, yes, most people take the bus because otherwise it is quite a long journey there and back. £2.50 is for one-way, so most students use their student card to buy a £3.50 day ticket, to go there and come back however many times they want that one day. Cycling is quite common, there are plenty of bicycle storage racks on Hillhead, many cycle to university.
Reply 17
To town, yes, most people take the bus because otherwise it is quite a long journey there and back. £2.50 is for one-way, so most students use their student card to buy a £3.50 day ticket, to go there and come back however many times they want that one day. Cycling is quite common, there are plenty of bicycle storage racks on Hillhead, many cycle to university.

Thanks for your reply :smile:
Reply 18
Sorry another question. I chose a self-catered hall, but I wonder if it's actually possible to walk-in to the catered halls and just pay cash for a meal? :colondollar:
Original post by aphiemi
Sorry another question. I chose a self-catered hall, but I wonder if it's actually possible to walk-in to the catered halls and just pay cash for a meal? :colondollar:

Hmmm I'm not entirely sure, I don't think so though, however, there is a big food hall thing in the Hub which is beside the library and close to the catered halls which has thinks like Old El Paso, Subway and nice homemade meals/vegetarian meals/ice cream.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending