The Student Room Group

Triple Degree worth an ordinary degree

Can I do PG in English literature after a triple degree in English, sociology and psychology from a reputed college? Is a triple degree worth a single degree? Are triple main degree considered lower to an ordinary English degree while applying for PG courses? Please help ! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by AllenDroy
Can I do PG in English literature after a triple degree in English, sociology and psychology from a reputed college?

I assume by 'PG' you mean 'postgraduate study'? If so, it's possible, I think—some, possibly many, MA programmes don't specify a single honours English degree as a requirement, just asking for relevant experience of literary or linguistic study. After all, many places have international postgrad students whose first degrees cover multiple subjects, more than you would fit into a British degree.

Original post by AllenDroy
Is a triple degree worth a single degree? Are triple main degree considered lower to an ordinary English degree while applying for PG courses?

I don't know how to measure the worth of a degree. In general during postgrad admissions the department is likely to want candidates who are good at working in the discipline of English, and have research strengths and ideas which fit the department's strengths and its capacity to supervise. Having only a third or so of your degree be English would, I think, raise a question mark about the first point. But you might be able to balance that out with referees who would be happy to write references vouching for the high quality of your work on the English part of the degree and with, if the application requires a sample of written work, good quality English essays.

You could contact some departments that offer courses you're speculatively interested in and check with them about their requirements for postgraduate study on those courses. Ultimately the people to ask are the people who make admissions decisions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending