The Student Room Group

Energy and Mass question.

As we know, E=mc2E=mc^2 (for an object that is stationary from the point of view of the observer) ,so does that mean that the mass of matter can just be thought of as potential energy or condensed energy?

Also, if you were to add potential energy to an object (by say lifting it up) does that mean that its mass is also increasing (admittedly by a very small amount.)

Also, Einstein has proven that the closer you get to the speed of light, the greater your mass is. What is the mechanism for the conversion of energy to mass?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by majmuh24
As we know, E=mc2E=mc^2 (for an object that is stationary from the point of view of the observer) ,so does that mean that the mass of matter can just be thought of as potential energy or condensed energy?

Also, if you were to add potential energy to an object (by say lifting it up) does that mean that its mass is also increasing (admittedly by a very small amount.)

Also, Einstein has proven that the closer you get to the speed of light, the greater your mass is. What is the mechanism for the conversion of energy to mass?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mass and energy are interchangeable as said in Einstein's equation, so the quantities do have the ability to change from one form to the other - not sure how - I suppose when particles interact this causes the changes to occur.

In a way I see your point that because mass has the potential to be energy it could be seem as almost a store of energy, but mass isn't the same as energy - they're just interchangeable.
Reply 2
Original post by Tilly-Elizabeth
Mass and energy are interchangeable as said in Einstein's equation, so the quantities do have the ability to change from one form to the other - not sure how - I suppose when particles interact this causes the changes to occur.

In a way I see your point that because mass has the potential to be energy it could be seem as almost a store of energy, but mass isn't the same as energy - they're just interchangeable.

Thanks for the reply, still a lot of questions left though :tongue:

Anyone else?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
My interpretation has always been that there is no "mechanism", as you put it, converting energy into mass, but rather energy always has an associated mass, no matter which form it is in. I believe that there's no conversion occurring. A box full of hot air has a higher mass than a box full of cooler air of the same density due to the air particles' higher kinetic energy. Charged batteries are more massive than dead ones due to their higher potential energy.
Original post by majmuh24

Posted from TSR Mobile

Think about the implications for momentum. i.e. mass x velocity and how you might test Einsteins theories using momentum.

Also look up CERN, the LHC, Higgs Boson and the smorgasboard of partcles resulting from high energy collisions. I'm talking about quarks, leptons, mesons particle/anti-particle pairs etc.

Quick Reply

Latest