The Student Room Group

How much do you spend on a night out AND how often do you go out?

I used to be really stingy when I first started uni about how much i spent on a night out, but these days I'm becoming less and less careful with money :s-smilie: Being a first year student, I do like to party :colondollar: and go out about 2-3 times a week now on average, but have been out on up to six nights a week on some occasions haha.....anyway, even for a student, I'm one of the most financially challenged, and so feel like i waste a lot of money on going out.....so how often and how much for you guys?

For me, a typical night would cost:
£5 for a bottle of wine from spar for pre drinks
~£2-3 for my share of the taxi into town (there is a free bus back)
£4 for club entry
£5.70 on a kebab and chips (i can never resist when intoxicated!)
and any spare change on drinks in the club, but i usually always tuck a 5 pound note in my bra so i don't spend my take-away money on drink haha!
So for me its usually around £20-25 ( although if im really saving, i can get by on £15) which doesn't sound like a lot but for 3 times a week, it really adds up!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My nights out vary in price a lot more now I'm not a student anymore and my friends are scattered around the country so I go out in different cities. At home I can spend up to £15 on taxis as we're from a town miles from the city centre, whereas in London we can get public transport and Birmingham we can walk. I drink a third of a bottle of rum for pre-drinks which costs about £3, around £5 for club entry and maybe one drink for £3. I've managed to stop the post-night out takeaway now but another expense for me is the amount of cigarettes I get through when drinking. I'd guess I spend about £25 on average, although if you include the train fares to actually get to the city it'd be double that.
Reply 2
I very rarely go out now, much prefering to have drinks in the comfort of my own home with friends.

When I do go out, its usually about £30-£40 for drinks for myself and my partner.
Reply 3
£20 train (return)
£15 entry
£30-£40 drinks

Usually once a week...! (Ministry of Sound, London)
Reply 4
Once a week or so..

£10-15 pre-drinks & shisha
£10-20 club entrance, usually penthouse or other central london clubs
around £50 on drinks in the club

journey there and back usually london busses so about £3, not much.. only taken cab a few times and it's about £25 a ride so bus it is

total £70-100 per night out
Reply 5
I used to live about 35 minutes drive from the nearest town and taxi's were always a big cost, only 2 of us lived outside of town and had to split a 20quid taxi, that's a lot of beer tokens gone, also a bus over cost about 4 quid

so 14 transport
roughly 20-30 drink
5 - food

so 40-50 quid just for me no wonder I had no money during college, I went out most weekends lol.

now I don't really go out drinkin much, but when I do and cos I live in city now, its a bit cheaper, but generally 30 pounds
Probably about £20. I'm not a big drinker and my travel costs are usually taxi-shares, and I NEVER go to clubs that charge more than like £4 entry. I go out very sparingly now because I have severe health problems so probably about once every three months! I eat out more often though with my partner which costs a similar amount of money, usually about once a fortnight.

I don't understand at all OP how you can claim to be 'financially challenged' when you manage to spend that amount of money on going out. Trust me, you are not financially challenged if that's the case! Me and my partner's income is assesed on each other's, we're both full-time students and I have severe disabilities. We receive no financial help from either sets of parents - there is absolutely no way we would be able to sustain spending the amount of money you do on leisure activities like that. It's insulting to claim that you're so disadvantaged when other people like us really are struggling.
£30-40

Rarely go to a club these days because of third year and the fact a lot of my friends are ''locals'', so we'll go out on a Saturday. A lot of the time we just go to the pub or stay indoors instead of going to a club, I think i've been to 1 night aimed at students since Christmas.
Reply 8
Depends on pre drinks normally about
£10-£20 worth of alcohol for pre drinks depending on what I'm drinking
£4.20 train to get there
£3-5 entry
£20-£40 while I'm out
£5 taxi back

Well, I didn't realise it was that much till now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I can walk into town from where I live and my favourite club charges £4 entry. So with loads of pre-drinks I can get away with spending £10 (though normally its closer to £20, especially as I have to walk passed Subway on the way home).
Reply 10
£5-10 on drinks
Free bus there, walk back
£0-5 entry depending on the night
Sometimes a kebab which is like £4 or so, not often though

Generally £10-15 or so on a night out, depends on the night and what I'm drinking
Reply 11
Original post by das_garry
£5-10 on drinks
Free bus there, walk back
£0-5 entry depending on the night
Sometimes a kebab which is like £4 or so, not often though

Generally £10-15 or so on a night out, depends on the night and what I'm drinking

What do you drink to just spend £5-£10? Wish I could only spend that on drinks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by kumori
What do you drink to just spend £5-£10? Wish I could only spend that on drinks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Generally have a few beers (works out about £1 per can, generally have about 6 before going out usually) so £6, then I only buy the drinks on offer (one club does 50p pints on a Monday, another does £2 quad vodkas on a Tuesday etc), so it's all about thinking it through ahead of time haha. I think there's somewhere good here with either really cheap entry or cheap drinks pretty much every night, it's not all too bad :smile:

When I want to, I'll drink a lot more, so guess you can move that up to like £15, but that's not often haha
Reply 13
Original post by das_garry
Generally have a few beers (works out about £1 per can, generally have about 6 before going out usually) so £6, then I only buy the drinks on offer (one club does 50p pints on a Monday, another does £2 quad vodkas on a Tuesday etc), so it's all about thinking it through ahead of time haha. I think there's somewhere good here with either really cheap entry or cheap drinks pretty much every night, it's not all too bad :smile:

When I want to, I'll drink a lot more, so guess you can move that up to like £15, but that's not often haha

I wish near me did that, it's not uncommon for me to pay over £5 maybe £6 for quad vodka and that's the going price in most places.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by kumori
I wish near me did that, it's not uncommon for me to pay over £5 maybe £6 for quad vodka and that's the going price in most places.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah, that sucks! Most places are like that on a normal night (got charged £6.50 for a double one, rip off!) but there's so many different clubs there's pretty much always some sort of student night on! Back home it's a different story though
Reply 15
20 quid.

10 predrinks
5 for taxis
5 for tickets
Quid or two for chips

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I live in Birmingham but I haven't been on a proper night out here since December :/ I've been to a couple of gigs but still..

..And planning just goes out the window if I'm smashed, I try to leave my debit cards at home nowadays for obvious reasons haha
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Saying that (although places like Gatecrasher are wicked), I think I'd rather go to a music event than just a standard club night most of the time, definitely need to be ****ered and in the company of good friends to have a decent night out imo.
Reply 18
£0-1.50 water or coke and depends if any of my mates are willing to go out. Few weeks ago I went out almost every night and the week after I didn't go out at all because they had assignments to do. Free entry into club before 11.30.

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Best part of 50 quid normally, but only every 2 weeks.

Quick Reply

Latest