The Student Room Group

Turkish take down Syrian jet

Is this right? Surely they could have asked for a good reason and I'm sure they will have given one? I admit that it may have entered Turkish airspace without permission but they still could have given them a few chances?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by MattSmith868
Is this right? Surely they could have asked for a good reason and I'm sure they will have given one? Not just shot down at first sight? I admit that it may have entered Turkish airspace without permission but they still could have given them a few chances before taking a life?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought I read that the pilot got out ok.

Also, I highly doubt this was the first incident. How many chances do you give? If it were a russian jet over the channel, i'd expect it to be blasted down as soon as it crossed the cliffs of Dover
Reply 2
Is this right? Surely they could have asked for a good reason and I'm sure they will have given one? Not just shot down at first sight? I admit that it may have entered Turkish airspace without permission but they still could have given them a few chances before taking a life?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Syrians shot down a Turkish jet year before last.
This jet was given 4 radio warnings as it approached the border. Once it crossed the border it was given a further warning, then fired upon.

Thems the rules.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Syrian artillery shells have been straying across onto Turkish soil on numerous occasions. This coupled with the persistent warnings Turkey has given Syria and any jets that approach/cross the border I believe they are well within their right to take deliberate and aggressive actions.
Reply 4

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seems fine to me. When you have a warzone going on next door you tend to ask questions later.
Reply 5
I do agree with the posts posted but surely Turkey shooting down this jet will just be more fuel for the tension between the two countries; although Turkey had every right to do so! Syria is already in danger so sending a jet over wouldn't have helped, especially now that the Turkish are retaliating in a aggressive manner (which I agree with).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is this right? Surely they could have asked for a good reason and I'm sure they will have given one? Not just shot down at first sight? I admit that it may have entered Turkish airspace without permission but they still could have given them a few chances?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They asked the pilot to leave Turkish airspace 4 times and they got no reply.
Then they shot him.
Reply 7
Is this right? Surely they could have asked for a good reason and I'm sure they will have given one? I admit that it may have entered Turkish airspace without permission but they still could have given them a few chances?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Turkey is strongly opposed to the genocide occurring in Syria and in the early stages there was a chance they'd partake in western action against Assad. Since then things have quietened down and Turkey has accepted lots of refugees but it has had to fire back a few times when Syrian planes and weapons have tested it.

As a poster in this thread has already said, if an enemy aircraft was over the Channel, it would be immediately shot down if it refused to change course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending