The Student Room Group

Multiculturalism in the UK / essay advice

Hello all,
I need to discuss a statement made by the EHRC in 2010 "how fair is Britain", according to which obvious progress had been made by Britain in the field of tolerance and open-mindedness, in the past 40 years.

What progress do you think the EHRC are talking about, and what role had multiculturalism played?

I started talking about the change of mentality from people in general (in business, with public institutions) but I admit that I find it difficult to identify strong key events / elements to argue. Has anyone any directions to give me?

thanks in advance for your insight.
Tom
Reply 1
thx
Original post by carnavalvenez
Hello all,
I need to discuss a statement made by the EHRC in 2010 "how fair is Britain", according to which obvious progress had been made by Britain in the field of tolerance and open-mindedness, in the past 40 years.

What progress do you think the EHRC are talking about, and what role had multiculturalism played?

I started talking about the change of mentality from people in general (in business, with public institutions) but I admit that I find it difficult to identify strong key events / elements to argue. Has anyone any directions to give me?

thanks in advance for your insight.
Tom

Do you think the EHRC are looking from the individuals' point of view, or from a political/legislative point of view...?
Reply 3
Good question, it might actually be political/legislative… you have a point here
Good question, it might actually be political/legislative… you have a point here

If you write it from that stance then you have an absolute goldmine of legislation that has been passed in the last 40 years. :wink: It would be really interesting, however, to see if you could find any sociological data to see how far this actually impacts on peoples' attitudes/ how far the legislation has been effective in achieving its goals.
Reply 5
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
If you write it from that stance then you have an absolute goldmine of legislation that has been passed in the last 40 years. :wink: It would be really interesting, however, to see if you could find any sociological data to see how far this actually impacts on peoples' attitudes/ how far the legislation has been effective in achieving its goals.

thank you, it makes perfect sense. I have started drafting the essay around the legislation and will try to find sociological data to backup the theory of people's attitudes. I feel I'm on the right track now, thanks for your insight!
thank you, it makes perfect sense. I have started drafting the essay around the legislation and will try to find sociological data to backup the theory of people's attitudes. I feel I'm on the right track now, thanks for your insight!

Yay! That's awesome to hear. :grin: Good luck~! If you have any more questions, don't be afraid to ask! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Yay! That's awesome to hear. :grin: Good luck~! If you have any more questions, don't be afraid to ask! :smile:

May I ask you the following question:

the topic is:
Basing your argument on your readings and on what you have learnt in thecourse, discuss the impact of Enoch Powell’s 1968 ‘Rivers of Blood’ speechon the short-term and long-term evolution of British Multiculturalism.

In this essay, do you think I should write about legislations too?
My thinking is, the impact of the speech might have spurred the Government to react…but maybe without Powell's speech legislation would have been made anyway…
Short term I talked about opening the debate and creating division in the country. Also, it hampered multiculturalism as anything that was told against multiculturalism was seen as right wing racist position.
In the long term, well, the fear of immigration was still there….

thank you for your insight. This one might be harder
May I ask you the following question:

the topic is:
Basing your argument on your readings and on what you have learnt in thecourse, discuss the impact of Enoch Powell’s 1968 ‘Rivers of Blood’ speechon the short-term and long-term evolution of British Multiculturalism.

In this essay, do you think I should write about legislations too?
My thinking is, the impact of the speech might have spurred the Government to react…but maybe without Powell's speech legislation would have been made anyway…
Short term I talked about opening the debate and creating division in the country.

I would say that writing about legislation is pretty useful as a springboard for getting in to the deeper issues.

In what ways do you think the impact of the speech might have spurred the government to react? I would definitely write about the public support that Powell received, as it is quite revealing about the social side of things... :smile: How much impact did the popular support for Powell have on the government?

Interestingly, the rules on immigration were tightened, but the Race Relations Act was passed. The Kenyan Asian issue is also pretty important to think about.

Also, it hampered multiculturalism as anything that was told against multiculturalism was seen as right wing racist position.

How would this hamper multiculturalism do you think...?
Reply 9
Thanks again for the directions :smile: working on it now, good questions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending