The Student Room Group

Applying for medicine 2015 Entry.

Hi there. Last week I got official confirmation of my 4th and final medicine rejection for 2014 entry. It was and has been quite a distressing week for me as I really did put in the effort and thought I stood a good chance. None the less I've accepted it and I am now moving on. I'm focusing on my final exams (European Baccalaureate) and preparing my gap year.

I thought I'd make this post now because I know I'm not the only one to be going through what I'm going through right and I felt it would be nice if everyone could go through it together and if we could use this thread to give each other advice for gap year possibilities, new university choices and help each other for the UKCAT, BMAT and interviews.

All in all, I know it's a tough situation to be in, but just remember that in due time we WILL make it and we'll look back and think to ourselves we needn't have been so upset! I just hope that you don't plan on giving up! (Soppy but true).

((Also I'd like to add that if you are a year 12 student and you wish to join in this thread by all means go ahead as myself and some of the other students who were unlucky this year may be able to help you.))

:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by MLeach
Hi there. Last week I got official confirmation of my 4th and final medicine rejection for 2014 entry. It was and has been quite a distressing week for me as I really did put in the effort and thought I stood a good chance. None the less I've accepted it and I am now moving on. I'm focusing on my final exams (European Baccalaureate) and preparing my gap year.

I thought I'd make this post now because I know I'm not the only one to be going through what I'm going through right and I felt it would be nice if everyone could go through it together and if we could use this thread to give each other advice for gap year possibilities, new university choices and help each other for the UKCAT, BMAT and interviews.

All in all, I know it's a tough situation to be in, but just remember that in due time we WILL make it and we'll look back and think to ourselves we needn't have been so upset! I just hope that you don't plan on giving up! (Soppy but true).

((Also I'd like to add that if you are a year 12 student and you wish to join in this thread by all means go ahead as myself and some of the other students who were unlucky this year may be able to help you.))

:smile:

heeey I will do European Baccalaurete too :smile:. Which school are you from?

edit: besides that, there is already a forum for 2105 entry : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2366817
Reply 2
Original post by Divv
heeey I will do European Baccalaurete too :smile:. Which school are you from?

edit: besides that, there is already a forum for 2105 entry : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2366817

I'm at the European school in Brussels, Belgium currently in 7th year (88%!)! What about yourself?

See the thing is that page was / is based with younger students who started posting last year. I figured it'd be good to have a thread for people like myself and others who I was in contact with on a few threads who have been rejected and must reapply ! But I will join it none the less
Reply 3
Original post by MLeach
I'm at the European school in Brussels, Belgium currently in 7th year (88%!)! What about yourself?

See the thing is that page was / is based with younger students who started posting last year. I figured it'd be good to have a thread for people like myself and others who I was in contact with on a few threads who have been rejected and must reapply ! But I will join it none the less

I am from EEB too and got excatly the same grades as you do O.o
which EEB you are in?
Reply 4
Original post by Divv
I am from EEB too and got excatly the same grades as you do O.o
which EEB you are in?

No way? Ixelles! You?
Reply 5
Original post by MLeach
No way? Ixelles! You?

Uccle! Hah, thats really amazing :3.
Which unis you applied to?
Reply 6
Original post by Divv
Uccle! Hah, thats really amazing :3.
Which unis you applied to?

Hmm you're not Camila from Uccle are you? ^^
Reply 7
Original post by MLeach
Hmm you're not Camila from Uccle are you? ^^

hahha noo but I know her, shes in my gym class :P. I dont really know anyone from Ixelles even though I live very near to your school
Reply 8
Original post by Divv
hahha noo but I know her, shes in my gym class :P. I dont really know anyone from Ixelles even though I live very near to your school

That's crazy! She's a good friend of mine! I applied to UCL, Nottingham, Cardiff and Birmingham. 3 straight rejections and an interview at Birmingham which seemed to go well but somehow didn't get in! What about yourself?
Reply 9
Original post by MLeach
That's crazy! She's a good friend of mine! I applied to UCL, Nottingham, Cardiff and Birmingham. 3 straight rejections and an interview at Birmingham which seemed to go well but somehow didn't get in! What about yourself?

Got offer from Notts last monday, sorry to hear about your rejection though :/
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
For anyone reading this, what are you planning on doing for your gap year?
Reply 11
Original post by MLeach
For anyone reading this, what are you planning on doing for your gap year?

I have a job as a carer to begin in September. I'm volunteering at a school for severely disabled children, my local hospital, a care home and teaching disabled kids to swim. The later two I already do.
I'm planning to do that until around April then spend some time interrailing before going to camp America!
You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by MLeach

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2605988
Reply 13
Original post by em.d_4
I have a job as a carer to begin in September. I'm volunteering at a school for severely disabled children, my local hospital, a care home and teaching disabled kids to swim. The later two I already do.
I'm planning to do that until around April then spend some time interrailing before going to camp America!
You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey :smile: I got a placement with Vitalise for summer and a 2 week hospital placement in September. Then I'll be spending 3 months in South America (assumably Peru) volunteering! Once I get back I'll just get a normal job to make some money to visit all my friends around England at their unis! But wow sounds like you have a lot planned! Where you planning on applying to?
Reply 14
Original post by MLeach
Hey :smile: I got a placement with Vitalise for summer and a 2 week hospital placement in September. Then I'll be spending 3 months in South America (assumably Peru) volunteering! Once I get back I'll just get a normal job to make some money to visit all my friends around England at their unis! But wow sounds like you have a lot planned! Where you planning on applying to?

my friend went to vitalise and loved it! so far i've narrowed down to barts, glasgow, queens, newcastle, leicester and aberdeen and possibly newcastle. it essentially depends on how my a2's and ukcat look this year.
last year i applied to newcastle, leeds, sheffield and queens, so a little different.
have you narrowed yours down at all?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by em.d_4
my friend went to vitalise and loved it! so far i've narrowed down to barts, glasgow, queens, newcastle, leicester and aberdeen and possibly newcastle. it essentially depends on how my a2's and ukcat look this year.
last year i applied to newcastle, leeds, sheffield and queens, so a little different.
have you narrowed yours down at all?

Thats good to hear! Which centre did they go to? Personally I haven't really thought about Unis yet... I was rejected from Cardiff because they misunderstood my EB qualifications because they were pending and not yet achieved (-_-) so I might reapply there. Otherwise Newcastle, Leicester, Liverpool Kings, etc all possibilities! And yes UKCAT is something which I'm really not looking forward to doing again! What did you get last year?
Reply 16
Original post by MLeach
Thats good to hear! Which centre did they go to? Personally I haven't really thought about Unis yet... I was rejected from Cardiff because they misunderstood my EB qualifications because they were pending and not yet achieved (-_-) so I might reapply there. Otherwise Newcastle, Leicester, Liverpool Kings, etc all possibilities! And yes UKCAT is something which I'm really not looking forward to doing again! What did you get last year?

Oh that sounds pretty unfortunate! I can't remember which centre sorry :/
My ukcat was 2950 this year, literally points below Newcastles cut off I think :frown: how was yours? I had so many breakdowns over it last year it's unreal!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by em.d_4
Oh that sounds pretty unfortunate! I can't remember which centre sorry :/
My ukcat was 2950 this year, literally points below Newcastles cut off I think :frown: how was yours? I had so many breakdowns over it last year it's unreal!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow that's seriously good and yet you didn't even reach a threshold? I got around 2800 so wasn't too happy, could and should have done better! Only studied about 2 weeks though so this time will literally take all of september to study for it and do it on one of the last days haha! In any case I'll make sure I don't apply to any complicated unis in terms of UKCAT or EB...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending