The Student Room Group

Leeds, Sheffield, UEA or Exeter for Pure Maths? Help I can't decide!

I've had offers from Leeds (AAB) Exeter (AAB) Sheffield (ABB) and University of East Anglia (ABB) but I don't know which to firm and which to insure; I've visited them all and I liked them all near equal amounts! So I was just wondering if anyone studying maths at any of these Unis could tell me if they enjoy the course/ how it's taught/ how many contact hours you have?
Thanks in advance!
Ive just firmed Leeds with Exeter as insurance for Maths with Finance! Did you go to the open days? I loved the way the lecturers taught at Leeds, even if it was only a taster but I thought they were really good. Do you know if any of them went into clearing last year?
Reply 2
I think I'm going to firm leeds to but just for straight maths, I'm not really into the applied world! They were really engaging & I met a lot of the lecturers at the open day I went to, it was really really interesting. Erm I'm not sure about clearing but I doubt it, the higher offer Unis tend to offer more places then they have as they know some people are going to miss their offer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by oliviaj28
I think I'm going to firm leeds to but just for straight maths, I'm not really into the applied world! They were really engaging & I met a lot of the lecturers at the open day I went to, it was really really interesting. Erm I'm not sure about clearing but I doubt it, the higher offer Unis tend to offer more places then they have as they know some people are going to miss their offer

Posted from TSR Mobile

You still have to do some applied maths in the first year, you know?
Reply 4
Haha don't worry I've studied all the course structure and stuff, I just didn't want to apply to a joint course because I didn't want to be tied into that area of maths!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by oliviaj28
Haha don't worry I've studied all the course structure and stuff, I just didn't want to apply to a joint course because I didn't want to be tied into that area of maths!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see! Good choice - I think it's best to sample all of them before you make a decision about what you want to study further. :smile:
Reply 6
I study Physics and Maths at Leeds so spend half my time in lectures and seminars with the pure maths students. Feel free to ask me anything on here or by PM :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest