The Student Room Group

What 4th a level should I take?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Largeelephant12
I'm not particularly good at maths though and would definitely struggle. Are economics and business together a good combo or not?

Economics covers business economics, and have similar sorts of topics. In terms of university, its not really recommended, although wouldn't be too damaging. It really depends on what you're looking to do for university. Personally, Economics is regarded more highly in terms of reputation.

Regarding Maths, Physics entails a lot of maths so would be equally as demanding.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Economics covers business economics, and have similar sorts of topics. In terms of university, its not really recommended, although wouldn't be too damaging. It really depends on what you're looking to do for university. Personally, Economics is regarded more highly in terms of reputation.

Regarding Maths, Physics entails a lot of maths so would be equally as demanding.

I've heard that within physics a level the maths mainly just contains substituting formulas? I'm not sure if this is the case though
Economics Easy :biggrin:
Reply 23
Do you know what you want to do at uni?
I am taking bio, chem, maths and rs and want to apply for biological sciences. My friends say that maths and physics really compliment each other, especially if you are doing mechanics as one of your maths modules.
If bio is your thing, I'd strongly recommend chemistry or maths. These will really help you out in sixth form. Good luck!
Original post by nilani123
Do you know what you want to do at uni?
I am taking bio, chem, maths and rs and want to apply for biological sciences. My friends say that maths and physics really compliment each other, especially if you are doing mechanics as one of your maths modules.
If bio is your thing, I'd strongly recommend chemistry or maths. These will really help you out in sixth form. Good luck!

Hm, I'm worried about the workload of taking physics, maths, biology and another a level though. Is maths honestly as hard as people say? Especially for someone that's not particularly good at it:/
Reply 25
Economics sounds interesting! Heard it's not good to take it with business though?

they do overlap significantly and some unis dont like it if u do both. just do your best/most enjoyable gcse's. it also depends what degree you want to do, a lot require certain subjects at a level. look at uni requirements on their websites
Original post by lucas13
they do overlap significantly and some unis dont like it if u do both. just do your best/most enjoyable gcse's. it also depends what degree you want to do, a lot require certain subjects at a level. look at uni requirements on their websites

Hm, i m really lost as to what to take now D:
Anybody else fancy helping out? Between physics biology economics business and maths (I'm not that good at it but will work hard if I do it). Or suggest some more subjects if you'd like?
Anybody else fancy helping out? Between physics biology economics business and maths (I'm not that good at it but will work hard if I do it). Or suggest some more subjects if you'd like?

I'm guessing languages aren't your thing?
Economics might be a good option but business adjoined with Economics is frowned upon by unis as they're too similar - a lot like maths and further maths for medical courses. I would recommend Religious Studies; it's interesting, essay-based, a facilitating subject and enjoyable.
Reply 30
Hm, i m really lost as to what to take now D:

have you thought about which degree you are going to do(if you are doing one), check which ones are relevant, list the remaining options you did at gcse in order of enjoyment and how good you are and see which ones fit both.
Original post by llamaspoon
I'm guessing languages aren't your thing?

I do Spanish GCSE, have never worked particularly hard at it but I'm not bad, most likely get a C or B in my exams for it :smile:
Original post by jake4198
Economics might be a good option but business adjoined with Economics is frowned upon by unis as they're too similar - a lot like maths and further maths for medical courses. I would recommend Religious Studies; it's interesting, essay-based, a facilitating subject and enjoyable.

I think I'll go with economics out of the two just not sure what to take with physics (bio or maths (I'm not great at maths but would work hard) and what 4th a level to take:/
Geography? Economics? Psychology?
Reply 34
I'd take Economics instead of Business.

As for the 4th, chemistry or maths would've been a good complement to physics and biology but you don't want to take them so how about...
A language?

(it really depends on what you have in mind afterwards)
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm taking biology, physics and business but am not sure what 4th a level to take, will not be doing chemistry, maths, English lit or history :smile:

Go for sociology, its a easier subject when it comes to revision trust me
Original post by Exon
I'd take Economics instead of Business.

As for the 4th, chemistry or maths would've been a good complement to physics and biology but you don't want to take them so how about...
A language?

(it really depends on what you have in mind afterwards)

I'd possibly consider maths but probably wouldn't take it with physics and bio as the workload would be ridiculous
Original post by TheMagican
Go for sociology, its a easier subject when it comes to revision trust me

Didn't do the GCSE?:/
Didn't do the GCSE?:/

Neither did I, my college still accepted me the entry requirements are 5 A-C and I mean if gcse sociology was required nationwide I doubt it would be as popular

Quick Reply

Latest