The Student Room Group

ACA to Finance Director???

Once I finish ACA (a few years away still) I would like to aim to become a finance director in the private sector as I think it's more where I am suited to.

Now when I finish ACA I obviously don't want to have to start as a purchase ledger clerk in a company!! What sort of position would a newly qualified ACA go in at? Ok you can get in as internal auditor but what is your chance of getting to finance director with this job?

Any ideas?
Reply 1
An Internal Auditor could potentially reach the position of CFO and it wouldn't be unusual but they're just as, or more, likely to become a CRO.

As an ACA I would expect you to go into the private sector at the junior end of management rather than in an administrative position such as a purchase ledger clerk. So really you should be looking for roles where you can supervise or manage a section of a firm's finance function.

Titles vary but putting 'CCAB' into a job search like Reed or Indeed and setting the minimum salary to about £28-30k would be a good start.
Depending on your amount of experience, as AW1983 says you can go into industry as internal auditor, or treasury or financial controller. These are all positions/departments that can eventually lead to FD then CFO. You may be in for a long wait though as CFOs don't really leave unless they are forced out, become CEO, retire, or get a ridiculous offer elsewhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending