The Student Room Group

Applying for French & Arabic/Chinese, any suggestions?

Hi everyone, I'm currently looking at applying for an undergraduate degree in French and Arabic or French and Chinese (ideally I'd study all three languages, but there's only so many course options available). However, there's a pretty major snag; I didn't take French to A-level (having instead mistakenly favouring the sciences when choosing subjects). Are there any courses like these that only require a GCSE in French?

In terms of my motivation for taking on these subjects, I want to work as a translator with the United Nations, and as a native English-speaker, one of the languages I must be able to work with is French. As for Arabic and Chinese, I have experience with learning both these languages and find them to be very rewarding.

Thanks in advance. :smile:
You can study both Arabic and French and Chinese and French at the University of Edinburgh. However, you cannot do all three unless you're allowed to take an outside subject but I do not know if that is the case with joint honour degrees. They ask for French at Higher B or greater with Standard Grade at 1.
I'm going to study Japanese at Edinburgh this September and will choose Chinese as my outside subject if I'm allowed :smile:
Cheers guys, looks like Edinburgh may be my best option then!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending