The Student Room Group
Reply 1
If you don't feel like you're going to need either in the future then asking whether you're going to be losing out or not isn't really answerable.

I'm definitely biased because I'm studying maths but if you're not going to want to 'use' any of them in your career path, I'd have chosen maths in the first place - I'd argue that the thinking skills it teaches you are far more transferable.
Reply 2
yeah, but imperial's sexy.
I'm currently doing maths at UCL and in my opinion its a good course. It is, however, a very different course from the other. It also depends on which university you feel you'd fit into better. From what I've heard Imperial has more of a work ethic than UCL (which suits me fine, but might not be what you want).

Sorry I haven't been very helpful. If there's anything more specific about UCL maths you want to know, just ask.
Reply 4
yeah, but imperial's sexy.

if you're a woman or gay.
Reply 5
ssmoose
if you're a woman or gay.

lol.
Reply 6
Red Albatross
I'm currently doing maths at UCL and in my opinion its a good course. It is, however, a very different course from the other. It also depends on which university you feel you'd fit into better. From what I've heard Imperial has more of a work ethic than UCL (which suits me fine, but might not be what you want).

Sorry I haven't been very helpful. If there's anything more specific about UCL maths you want to know, just ask.

well i love maths and physics, hence i love engineering- but i also love just doing lots of pure maths hence a maths degree.

im just worried if i didnt go to imperial i would lose out reputation wise as it is regarded like 5th best in the world for engineering. If you say Imperial abroad there is more chance of a reaction than UCL.
love2learn7
well i love maths and physics, hence i love engineering- but i also love just doing lots of pure maths hence a maths degree.

im just worried if i didnt go to imperial i would lose out reputation wise as it is regarded like 5th best in the world for engineering. If you say Imperial abroad there is more chance of a reaction than UCL.

Well considering you don't want to go into Engineering, I wouldn't say any lost recognition in that regard is a major thing.

I, personally, think you should stick with it if you end up doing UCL maths. It's still a good degree at a good university, and you're not likely to miss out on any opportunities by going to UCL and not Imperial.
Reply 8
Red Albatross
Well considering you don't want to go into Engineering, I wouldn't say any lost recognition in that regard is a major thing.

I, personally, think you should stick with it if you end up doing UCL maths. It's still a good degree at a good university, and you're not likely to miss out on any opportunities by going to UCL and not Imperial.

foreign affairs work is quite competitive and engineering was to be my 2nd choice career.

what careers would maths have as an advantage over engineering apart from acturial as i would never do that! lol
Reply 9
love2learn7
what careers would maths have as an advantage over engineering apart from acturial as i would never do that! lol

there are some areas of engineering which are very mathy. for info sys eng, the obvious things are applications of advanced signal processing techniques, where the cutting edge methods use mathematics which is well beyond what is taught to eng undergraduates. you can often find people with maths backgrounds working in these types of areas alongside engineers.

Latest