The Student Room Group

Is it appropriate to leave an unpaid internship early for a paid job instead?

I'm currently working two unpaid internships at two charity, non-profit organisations. One of them have treated me very well and I have enjoyed working there for almost 2 months now. The other internship is 'ok', not terrible, but good experience. I have been there for a month now.

The assumption was that I would be working there a minimum 3 months, but I'm looking for paid employment and I've been getting interviews. If I get a paid job, would it be normal to just leave the internships early before 3 months?

How do I discuss this with the managers of those charity organisations (so they still respect me and give me a good reference for future applications)?
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
Yes, that should be entirely acceptable. Just say that you appreciate the opportunity you were given but you're looking for paid work and can't pass up the offer. No reasonable person could have a problem with that.
Yes. You don't need to worry about the references if you have already got an offer from another company.
Yes that should be absolutely fine. The people you work with will totally understand if you get a paid job. Once you have an offer you should be able to negotiate the start date with your the new and old employer - not everyone will want you straight away.
They can't really expect you to stay at unpaid positions when you have been offered paid positions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending