The Student Room Group

how do i get into a child nursing degree and can i access it through clearing?

Basically, I've already chosen my firm and insurance for international relations. The issue is that I've had the last minute mind switch and due to several reasons, I wish to study nursing in 2014 hopefully. I have my C's for English and maths GCSE - but no science related a levels (sociology but that's obviously out of the question).
what should my next step be? I feel that going into extra is too risky? can I get into it through clearing and is it too competitive? should I be contacting any universities? should I type up a new personal statement?

teeeenks
Hi, well u could apply through extra and sent the unis a new personal statement..im not sure if u can apply for nursing through clearing as its mainly skills based so u r assessed through and english/maths test and then an interview rather than based on ur grades..or u could apply for the next entry time, like for January or march, whenever they do them, with a personal statement more focused on nursing...hope this helped
Reply 2
I'll be honest, it'll be a real struggle to get into child nursing like this as very few places get put onto clearing.

There are huge amounts of applications to each available place in nursing - there are way less in child nursing that adult. I asked at a couple of universities and they said there are 600 odd people wanting 18-20 places on average. (Child nursing)

What gets people places is to show you are dedicated to the field. This has to be done as the government pays something like £45000 to train a nurse and the Uni gets no money if you drop out, thus meaning the uni is having a massive shortfall in money.

Anyway, to beat other people grades are obviously key. If you don't have a-levels or have them at a low grade you can take an Access course. I did one of these. Search around for local colleges. This does take a year though, but if you are on benefits like JSA you can get the course fees paid. Do however take a science one or preferably a Access to Nursing or Access to Healthcare course. Check also UCAS and you can see what grades they ask for with Access courses (number of level 3 at merit / distinction ect ect)

However the main focus is experience. You're pretty much expected to have spent some time volunteering with young people or in a caring role. For example, childrens hospice, scout leader, working in a care home, working as a healthcare assistant or being a carer for a family member ect ect.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending