The Student Room Group

KCL or Durham for English?

Hello, I'm an international student from Hong Kong. I've recently received offers, and KCL and Durham are the best choices.

But as an international student, I don't have a lot of knowledge abour their reputation/ prestige etc. when compared.

I wonder which would you choose?
Reply 1
Original post by ngkatie
Hello, I'm an international student from Hong Kong. I've recently received offers, and KCL and Durham are the best choices.

But as an international student, I don't have a lot of knowledge abour their reputation/ prestige etc. when compared.

I wonder which would you choose?

They both have their pros and cons.

Durham has a high ranking, especially for English, in the UK. It also has one of the best campuses in Britain, but its international reputation is not as good as its national one and being from Hong Kong i assume that's something you'd be considering.

Although King's is lower down in British league tables than Durham, its international reputation is significantly higher (see QS world university rankings - Kings 19th, Durham beyond 60th). Moreover, with Kings being in London you will have more international links than if you were to go to Durham, and possibly more job opportunities following university. If you don't want to move to a large city, then don't go to Kings - Durham has a population of ~100,000.

Ultimately it's down to your personal preference, though. :-)
Reply 2
Have you checked out the course structure at both unis? How will you be assessed? Is one mostly coursework or are exams more heavily weighted? And what's the department like? Is there a focus on areas that you're interested in yourself? And then of course as has been mentioned, there's location to consider. Durham and London could hardly be less alike!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending