Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 1
Anyone? :biggrin:
Reply 2
Gues they expect isothermal
Original post by Zenarthra
expasion comp.png

Thanks! :biggrin:

Could you post the actual question from the book or exam paper, please.
Reply 4
Original post by Stonebridge
Could you post the actual question from the book or exam paper, please.

Its not an exam question. xD
Just a graph showing exactly what I've drawn with p on y-axis and V on x-axis.
next to this graph it states: 'A p-V diagram showing a thermodynamic cycle in which the system is taken back to its original state. The net work is positive, since the area under the expansion curve is greater than the area under the compression cuve'

So i know its an expansion but what type, im thinking it cannot be isothermal expansion since there is a change in isotherms, so maybe it could be adiabatic expansion?
But the only adiabatic expansion i've seen are ones which are concave looking graphs. O_O
Reply 5
Original post by teachercol
Gues they expect isothermal

But for isothermal expansions the dT=0. xD
It doesn't have to be any "type" of expansion or compression. The graph is just illustrating a closed cycle where the work done is positive.
That's all.
Isothermal and adiabatic changes are very special. Gasses can expand and contract in an infinite number of ways beside these two.
The upper curve doesn't look like either of those.
Reply 7
Original post by Stonebridge
It doesn't have to be any "type" of expansion or compression. The graph is just illustrating a closed cycle where the work done is positive.
That's all.
Isothermal and adiabatic changes are very special. Gasses can expand and contract in an infinite number of ways beside these two.
The upper curve doesn't look like either of those.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest