The Student Room Group

If you were worried that your family would disapprove of/worry about your regime

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Riku
Ahh ok :hugs:
Stress can make us feel like we need control of our life, and when we feel out of control in other areas, food is one easy way to reach it. But I'm glad you got help and saw there are better (more effective and less harmful) ways to feel in control :smile:

Currently I want to be fit and active again! Running is really nice it stops me thinking so it great ATM and swimming is plain exhausting so helps me sleep!
Yeah I'm instead shoving a tonne of fruit and veg down me but that's no bad thing, I'm enjoying what i eat and I'm not saying 'no' to less green foods if I want them :redface:

Maybe you could start off with small changes like some cardio and light weights and let your family see that you aren't going crazy you just want to be a bit healthier?
Reply 21
Original post by Ripper-Roo
How do you parents feel about your choices? Are they outspoken in their disapproval?

Some very much so yes, my nan for example would get concerned that I went from chowing down furiously when I visited, justified by being a 'growing lad', to starting to portion myself... but that is what grandparents are for :tongue: and I do love her
Originally my mum was very concerned by the anxiety created by eating cake, pie, 'unhealthy' food etc.. Realistically, something's wrong if I'm scared of food, specific items or otherwise.

Now she's not as bothered-didn't even ask if I wanted dessert today, she's trying to lose weight!-although I don't know how she'd feel about me drinking protein shakes. I imagine there will be some things she sees as extreme-big difference between bulk/train for fitness and a cut for example when I'm already quite skinny

Dad's a big believer in moderation. That doesn't stop his sweet tooth :redface: I often feel compelled to carry on our father-son rituals, as I'm very similar to him…but when that means I have jam sponge just because it's there and he's having it, something's not quite right

Both I think accept it's my life and I can do what I want, but are a little concerned that maybe I'm trying to compensate for other areas of my life where I act as if I'm inferior/show signs of low self esteem. They don't say it, but I sense it.
Obviously they want me to have a balanced character and to be happy!
Reply 22
Gotta do what's right for you, your the only one that has to live with yourself from here on :tongue:

So might as well make of yourself what you will, if anything it can only improve things for you (mood, body changes, strength, general fitness/health etc)
Original post by Ripper-Roo
Even if it was your future spouse your parents opinions don't matter.

Obviously it wouldn't be a deciding factor, but it'd make my life a lot easier if parents and wife got on alright, no fun constantly playing mediator between them, no help with childcare etc.
Reply 24
Original post by Starrydog
Currently I want to be fit and active again! Running is really nice it stops me thinking so it great ATM and swimming is plain exhausting so helps me sleep!
Yeah I'm instead shoving a tonne of fruit and veg down me but that's no bad thing, I'm enjoying what i eat and I'm not saying 'no' to less green foods if I want them :redface:

Maybe you could start off with small changes like some cardio and light weights and let your family see that you aren't going crazy you just want to be a bit healthier?

I find the same, it's just such a mood booster and slows things down/motivates me, whatever's needed :smile:
Nope definitely not-fruit sales and veggie stir-fries ahoy :biggrin:

I'm already doing that (walking and dumbbells)-I think I'll take it up to the next level when I'm more confident with it being 'ok' to do the basics, yeah :smile:
Original post by Riku
I find the same, it's just such a mood booster and slows things down/motivates me, whatever's needed :smile:
Nope definitely not-fruit sales and veggie stir-fries ahoy :biggrin:

I'm already doing that (walking and dumbbells)-I think I'll take it up to the next level when I'm more confident with it being 'ok' to do the basics, yeah :smile:

Gives good headspace doesn't it :smile: No time to be anxious when exercising

Are you looking to take up any sports/do you have a specific goal?
Reply 26
Gives good headspace doesn't it :smile: No time to be anxious when exercising

Are you looking to take up any sports/do you have a specific goal?

I'll start with getting back to the gym :P then I think I will be bulking :smile:
If I can improve my cardiovascular fitness that'd be great too cos I'm zoo unfit in that sense :redface:

How about you? :smile:
Original post by Riku
I'll start with getting back to the gym :P then I think I will be bulking :smile:
If I can improve my cardiovascular fitness that'd be great too cos I'm zoo unfit in that sense :redface:

How about you? :smile:

My main focus is cardio, as I see it no point in me toning up and whatnot if I can't even run a mile! I'm doing some small core workouts alongside because I want to look as great as I feel and perhaps when i ship off to uni I'll look at getting a bit more serious? I'm happy with how I look now, very slim so its more about feeling great and being able to achieve.
Reply 28
My main focus is cardio, as I see it no point in me toning up and whatnot if I can't even run a mile! I'm doing some small core workouts alongside because I want to look as great as I feel and perhaps when i ship off to uni I'll look at getting a bit more serious? I'm happy with how I look now, very slim so its more about feeling great and being able to achieve.

Yeah doing lots of cardio to boost energy levels and mood is a good way to go :biggrin:
Well good luck with it all :smile:
[INDENT]
Original post by Riku
How would you get around that? How would you explain it to them? Would you bother?
Would you check it was ok with them to go ahead before doing it? How would you handle the lack of support if there were none? Would you go ahead and do it anyway?

What possible reasons are there for a young adult to be concerned by what his parents think of what he's doing/need to ask them before doing it?

I'm close to my mum and I know she has worried about how much I run etc as when was anorexic compulsive exercise was a big thing for me but I just spoke to her about it and over time as she saw that I wasn't being 'crazy' about other things and wasn't losing wweight she relaxed about it, I know I put my mum through a hell of a lot so I did try and make her feel better, I may be able to do whatever I want but if I do something that upsets her then she at least deserves an eplanation, for a while there was no support and now my family are ambivalent at best to my exercise but I just live my life
Reply 30
Original post by doodle_333
[INDENT]

I'm close to my mum and I know she has worried about how much I run etc as when was anorexic compulsive exercise was a big thing for me but I just spoke to her about it and over time as she saw that I wasn't being 'crazy' about other things and wasn't losing wweight she relaxed about it, I know I put my mum through a hell of a lot so I did try and make her feel better, I may be able to do whatever I want but if I do something that upsets her then she at least deserves an eplanation, for a while there was no support and now my family are ambivalent at best to my exercise but I just live my life

:hugs: I am in a similar situation
Unless it's taking over your life, clearly making you very unhealthy through being overweight or anorexic, or just making you spend 4 hours in the gym every day when you don't need to, then just do what you want to do!

If they don't want you to lift or run and do basic stuff in moderate-relatively heavy amounts an hour or so most days, then don't think twice!
Reply 32
Original post by BCcfc92
Unless it's taking over your life, clearly making you very unhealthy through being overweight or anorexic, or just making you spend 4 hours in the gym every day when you don't need to, then just do what you want to do!

If they don't want you to lift or run and do basic stuff in moderate-relatively heavy amounts an hour or so most days, then don't think twice!

Wait-if they don't want me to, don't think.twice about.doing.it and disobeying them?
Original post by Riku
Wait-if they don't want me to, don't think.twice about.doing.it and disobeying them?

It's only fitness! If it's doing you good and you enjoy it, it's not like you're disrespecting your family to any great degree.

Respect your family, but it's your life so you choose what to do in the end. When it comes to something like this, your family's say should not mean a huge deal as it's not a major life decision, is it? If they don't want you to be fit and enjoy being active, then that's not good of them. It's probably that they are misinformed eg lots of parents think weight lifting is bad for you, which is silly.

This is coming from someone very close to his parents (Asian family). I take into account what they say but you just have to weigh it up. This is about fitness for goodness sake!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by BCcfc92
It's only fitness! If it's doing you good and you enjoy it, it's not like you're disrespecting your family to any great degree.

Respect your family, but it's your life so you choose what to do in the end. When it comes to something like this, your family's say should not mean a huge deal as it's not a major life decision, is it? If they don't want you to be fit and enjoy being active, then that's not good of them. It's probably that they are misinformed eg lots of parents think weight lifting is bad for you, which is silly.

This is coming from someone very close to his parents (Asian family). I take into account what they say but you just have to weigh it up. This is about fitness for goodness sake!

I'm trying to cut down on junk food too.
as much for my health as for looks. I always feel more stressed/laboured breathing after some. Hate to think what my insides look like!
But i feel like family will worry/friends will fond me boring so i end up eating lots of crap and going to bed very late yet staying skinny! All the same it's not good for me abd i want to cut down. But i am anxious to, as much as i am to making myself say no to junk (i'm borderline dependent on food and the Internetbas coping mechanisms)
Reply 35
Texted my mum to ask if she minded me going to the gym over summer

she said why wouldn't i approve?

Da***
Reply 36
My mum used to be concerned over the muscle mass I once had, she suspected I was on the gear. Couldn't have been further from the truth though, it's not as though I was absolutely swole.
My family don't approve of what I do so I just don't mention it. Which is pretty easy considering I don't live in the same country. I used to say it and the disapproval was instant! I started Wing Chun a year ago and weight training and I am totally addicted now! My family is quite old fashioned, not too bad but a little set in their ways - girls are supposed to do girly things. I am a tomboy, I hate girly things! I was looking for a flat recently and one of the guys at class said he had a friend (a girl) looking for a flatmate. I said to my parents I was looking at a flat - "Oh that's great!" - I said where I found it - "Oh... that doesn't sound like a good idea". Lol, uhh!

But it wouldn't influence me, I just try not to mention it too much.
My parents are very supportive of my exercising and eating healthily. My Mum does get a bit worried about my diet when I turn down any chocolate or cake but she's generally all for it. I guess I'm lucky that my Dad is a runner too.
Reply 39
Original post by Sprockette
My family don't approve of what I do so I just don't mention it. Which is pretty easy considering I don't live in the same country. I used to say it and the disapproval was instant! I started Wing Chun a year ago and weight training and I am totally addicted now! My family is quite old fashioned, not too bad but a little set in their ways - girls are supposed to do girly things. I am a tomboy, I hate girly things! I was looking for a flat recently and one of the guys at class said he had a friend (a girl) looking for a flatmate. I said to my parents I was looking at a flat - "Oh that's great!" - I said where I found it - "Oh... that doesn't sound like a good idea". Lol, uhh!

But it wouldn't influence me, I just try not to mention it too much.

How do you deal with the knowledge that they don't approve though? I agree, just because you're a woman doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to do weights or whatever what sexist rubbish

Original post by thenewone61
My parents are very supportive of my exercising and eating healthily. My Mum does get a bit worried about my diet when I turn down any chocolate or cake but she's generally all for it. I guess I'm lucky that my Dad is a runner too.

Similar situation :-)

Quick Reply

Latest