The Student Room Group

Doing STEP 1 in Year 12?

Hi guys,

I'm in year 12 doing maths, fm, physics, econ and going for full ums in all. As I'm finding it too easy and want a challenge, I'm going to take STEP 1 this year. My question is, to what extent will a good grade in STEP 1 boost my cambridge maths application, given I am able to average say 98 ums?

If I get an S or a 1 then logically it would indicate a high standard of mathematical ability and as such it would be kind of harsh to not give an offer on the basis of this? Thoughts please

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Omghacklol
Hi guys,

I'm in year 12 doing maths, fm, physics, econ and going for full ums in all. As I'm finding it too easy and want a challenge, I'm going to take STEP 1 this year. My question is, to what extent will a good grade in STEP 1 boost my cambridge maths application, given I am able to average say 98 ums?

If I get an S or a 1 then logically it would indicate a high standard of mathematical ability and as such it would be kind of harsh to not give an offer on the basis of this? Thoughts please

Posted from TSR Mobile

It would certainly count in your favour as long as you got a good grade and the preparation did not distract from your other A levels.

Getting an "offer" from Cambridge isn't too difficult if your A level background is anywhere decent - it's achieving the STEP II/III hurdle that makes the big difference at the end :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest