The Student Room Group

dentistry reapplicants - 2015 entry

so ive been rejected by all of my unis
2 interviews, 4 rejections
made this for people who are in the same position to help each other and share ideas

i didnt plan a gap year so any ideas on what i should do?
also how should i change my personal statement, does it need to be completely new or can i use my old one?

thanks and good luck

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by mo_sudani
made this for people who are in the same position to help each other and share ideas

also how should i change my personal statement, does it need to be completely new or can i use my old one?

thanks and good luck

Hi, I understand your pain :mad: I am going to reapply as well. I am mature applicant and have a full time job so no gap years for me:biggrin:
I believe everything will happen in its own time so stay positive !

thanks and good luck

I feel like such an idiot for making a reapplicants page when one already existed!
I got my last rejection today so my head isnt functioming properly haha. I think getting more workexperience and volunteering would help a lot by giving you more to write about in your ps and talk about on your interviews.

Have you asked for feedback yet? If not then you should as it will help you pin point your weaknesses so that you can improve on them.

Also, applying to jobs is obviously a good idea.

I think with your ps you should use it as a foundation and add the extra things that you'll be doing and edit it along the way. I mean theres no point starting from scratch because your ps was clearly good as it got you two interviews.

Where are all the reapplicants at?!
Reply 3
Also as we need to apply by October i doubt I'll have much more experience or anything new to wrote about....
Do I write about stuff i want to do even if its not organised yet
Also as we need to apply by October i doubt I'll have much more experience or anything new to wrote about....
Do I write about stuff i want to do even if its not organised yet

Hmm..I think you could do a couple more weeks after exams. Also yeah I think we should write what we are planning to do on our gap year in our ps, but make sure its organised.

Lets just focus on getting the grades and then freak out about the rest.
Original post by Arajdev13
Time for me to join this thread...4 rejections, found out from barts today!

I know the feeling too well :frown: whats the plan for the gap year then?
Reply 6
Original post by GirlWithADream
I know the feeling too well :frown: whats the plan for the gap year then?

Hi guys! I've only just found this thread, but I've had 4 rejections too (on the waiting list for Barts). I was just wondering what kind of thing you are planning to do, because I have no idea. I was thinking of trying to get a job as a trainee dental nurse? I'm not sure what my chances are though. And have any of you sorted anything for your gap year yet? I feel like I should, but I'm too busy revising! :confused:
Original post by kkatt
Hi guys! I've only just found this thread, but I've had 4 rejections too (on the waiting list for Barts). I was just wondering what kind of thing you are planning to do, because I have no idea. I was thinking of trying to get a job as a trainee dental nurse? I'm not sure what my chances are though. And have any of you sorted anything for your gap year yet? I feel like I should, but I'm too busy revising! :confused:

Hey! I'm planning on getting more work experience(and more variety) and more voluntary work. I also want to get a job for the year. Hmm, Idk about the dental nurse thing. How long does it take to complete? And you know that they have to do a lot of assignnents aswell as being on wards. Check the nhs jobs website, and look at the jobs paying <20,000, those are the ones that school leavers could do. Tbh you (we) should just focus on getting the highest grades possible, and as soon as exams are over we can start applying for jobs/work ex.

Not looking forward to doing the ukcat again tho :redface:
Reply 8
Original post by GirlWithADream
Hey! I'm planning on getting more work experience(and more variety) and more voluntary work. I also want to get a job for the year. Hmm, Idk about the dental nurse thing. How long does it take to complete? And you know that they have to do a lot of assignnents aswell as being on wards. Check the nhs jobs website, and look at the jobs paying <20,000, those are the ones that school leavers could do. Tbh you (we) should just focus on getting the highest grades possible, and as soon as exams are over we can start applying for jobs/work ex.

Not looking forward to doing the ukcat again tho :redface:

Yeah, that's probably the best idea. I was just looking today, and most of the dental nurse apprenticeships were around 18 months, so you're right I think it's a bit of a long shot. I think that's more for people who want to do it as their career.
And yeah, obviously focusing on exams is most important at the moment, after all if we don't get the grades there's no point planning ahead! And I know! I hate the ukcat I was thinking of just applying to non ukcat unis this time round, but we will see. Thanks for your advice :smile:
hey im currently in year 11, i will be a 2015 applicant- i was wondering what exactly you were declined on weather it was grades etc? and im sorry to hear that you didnt get in.

can i ask of your grades/predictions and your subjects?

dom
Reply 10
Original post by dbeith
hey im currently in year 11, i will be a 2015 applicant- i was wondering what exactly you were declined on weather it was grades etc? and im sorry to hear that you didnt get in.

can i ask of your grades/predictions and your subjects?

dom

sorry for the late reply, tbh grades arent a big issue as most people applying will be getting/predicted atleast 3 As
my main reason for rejection was the interviews, and ukcat for kings. kings heavily weight ukcat so if you get below 700 i wouldnt apply there, that was there cut off this year.
I mean 2016 and wow that's high :/
Reply 12
anyone heard anything ?
Reply 13
interview at plymouth soon (didnt apply here last year)

nothing from manc, cardiff, and QM yet (applied to all these last year) but cardiff have guaranteed me an interview this yeard as i had one last year
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 14
anyone heard anything ?

Yup I have interviews from Manchester and Plymouth so far, still waiting on Cardiff and Birmingham :smile:
and congrats on ur plymouth interview btw, what day is it on?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by kkatt
Yup I have interviews from Manchester and Plymouth so far, still waiting on Cardiff and Birmingham :smile:
and congrats on ur plymouth interview btw, what day is it on?

well done, i really wanted to get manc this year but oh well -.-
my plymouth interview is on the 3rd december, just booked the B&B now haha
hbu?

edit: can i ask what ut stats are like? and work exp? and when u sent off ur application
Reply 16
hbu?

Manc send them out in batches anyway so dont give up hope, Im sure u will get one.
Mines on the 4th, and same literally just booked to stay at jurys inn!
I'm just want know but I'm currently doing my AS levels in Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Geography and Dentistry has been one of my career options for along time. I just wondering if it is essential to have Biology if I carry on the subjects above to apply for a dentistry course in University?

Thanks
Reply 18
hbu?

edit: can i ask what ut stats are like? and work exp? and when u sent off ur application

2A*s 9A's 1B at GCSE
A* Bio A Chem A Maths also another A at AS
2 weeks GDP
3 weeks in ortho/maxfac/lab in hospital
volunteered for over a yr at a care home
volunteer with charity
and 595 UKCAT (i know its bad lol)
I sent my application off on the 11th October
Reply 19
Original post by kkatt
2A*s 9A's 1B at GCSE
A* Bio A Chem A Maths also another A at AS
2 weeks GDP
3 weeks in ortho/maxfac/lab in hospital
volunteered for over a yr at a care home
volunteer with charity
and 595 UKCAT (i know its bad lol)
I sent my application off on the 11th October

ahhhhh manchester really like there work exp
7A* 5A B - GCSE
A*AA- A2 (another A at AS)
ukcat 710
3weeks work exp in dental hospital (more planned for gap year)
1year volunteering at a charity shop and have a job in a restraunt

rejected from manc without an interview last year and still havent heard back this year :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest