The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Stay away from eldon court accomodation and northendmanagement

Since moving into Eldon Court we have experienced issue after issue, with a management (landlord) team that do not care about your living standards. The building is poorly maintained, rarely cleaned and when it is they go as far as wiping down the inside walls of the lift with a dirty mop which left a huge stench for days. They claim it is all bills included when in fact they only allow an allowance of £2-2.50 per person per week electricity and you have to buy more from them when you run out (which is weekly). The electricity is in the form of a meter and you can only get the cards for the particular metres from them directly. Sometimes you will be unaware that your electricity is running low and it will cut off (they do not monitor your situation). If it is past 5'oclock the office has closed and there is only emergency number to ring. We have rang the emergency number several times and asked for our electricity to be put back on only to be told every time we will have to wait until the morning. We have had many dark, cold powerless nights in this place. If for whatever reason you are late making rent payments, regardless if you are the only 1 of four/five tenants in your flat they will withhold all electricity until the arrears are paid, you will not be aloud any electricity whatsoever and nor can you acquire the metre cards from elsewhere as they are specific to them. We were told by one of the 'kind and friendly' managers that that flats would be deep cleaned and ready for us to move in on the start of tenancy. Day 1 the flat was infested with sliver fish (which has been noted on a large amount of other negative forums about Eldon Court) and also ants. The flat was a complete mess - mouldy cupboards and draws, uncleaned bathrooms (grime around shower and sink), stains on couches....the list goes on. The internet connection they provide is extremely slow and they have only just had wifi installed which operates infrequently (much of the time the internet needs to be plugged in via an ethernet cable - which of course they do not provide). There are no ariel sockets for the tv so you will have to connect your tv's up via an indoor ariel. The laundry process is a nightmare and extremely expensive; there are 4 washing machines and 4 dryers (between 72 four and five bedroomed flats) located in the basement of the building which is a fair walk. The minimum top up on the £3 laundry card you have to by is £5 and the a wash is £2.50 whilst a dry is £1 (although one dry is not enough to dry your clothes unless it is a small load). If you have any issues with your flat etc the management staff are very rude and arrogant. There has already been a group made by the tenants of 13/14 year criticising the accommodation. The final straw with this place was last week for us a flat, we went down to the office and had a full blown argument with the management staff. We were aggressively shouted at, called 'stupid idiots' and shrugged off. All of this happened whilst two potential tenants were sat waiting for a viewing. We took the opportunity to inform them of pretty much everything that has been said in this message, whilst another tenant (whom we did not know) was waiting to be seen about another issue; she nodded her head and also gave her own input to the two potential tenants. A few days later management came round to inspect our flat (unannounced as always) and attempted to resolve the situation of the bugs. Shortly after they sent us an invoice for £218 stating that this would be the cost for them to deep clean the flat and have pest control come round and exterminate any living bugs in the property. They blamed the problem on us hence the reason for the invoice. Little did they know we took photos and videos of the flat dated from when we moved in proving that in fact all of these insects arrived a long time ago. We are currently in contact with a unipol solicitor (although we are unsure how far this will go as Eldon Court and Northend Mangement are not Unipol accredited after being kicked out years ago); hoping for some way to have this place boycotted by every student that arrives in Leeds. It is a disgrace and it has ruined my final year at University. So please let this be advice 'DO NOT MOVE INTO ELDON COURT'.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Woah.

That sounds absolutely insane - is there any way to move out, or do anything to rectify the situation? Admittedly, I'm not seeing them listed on Leeds' accommodation page, are they officially affiliated with the University?
(edited 10 years ago)
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by eldoublee1
Since moving into Eldon Court we have experienced issue after issue, with a management (landlord) team that do not care about your living standards. The building is poorly maintained, rarely cleaned and when it is they go as far as wiping down the inside walls of the lift with a dirty mop which left a huge stench for days. They claim it is all bills included when in fact they only allow an allowance of £2-2.50 per person per week electricity and you have to buy more from them when you run out (which is weekly). The electricity is in the form of a meter and you can only get the cards for the particular metres from them directly. Sometimes you will be unaware that your electricity is running low and it will cut off (they do not monitor your situation). If it is past 5'oclock the office has closed and there is only emergency number to ring. We have rang the emergency number several times and asked for our electricity to be put back on only to be told every time we will have to wait until the morning. We have had many dark, cold powerless nights in this place. If for whatever reason you are late making rent payments, regardless if you are the only 1 of four/five tenants in your flat they will withhold all electricity until the arrears are paid, you will not be aloud any electricity whatsoever and nor can you acquire the metre cards from elsewhere as they are specific to them. We were told by one of the 'kind and friendly' managers that that flats would be deep cleaned and ready for us to move in on the start of tenancy. Day 1 the flat was infested with sliver fish (which has been noted on a large amount of other negative forums about Eldon Court) and also ants. The flat was a complete mess - mouldy cupboards and draws, uncleaned bathrooms (grime around shower and sink), stains on couches....the list goes on. The internet connection they provide is extremely slow and they have only just had wifi installed which operates infrequently (much of the time the internet needs to be plugged in via an ethernet cable - which of course they do not provide). There are no ariel sockets for the tv so you will have to connect your tv's up via an indoor ariel. The laundry process is a nightmare and extremely expensive; there are 4 washing machines and 4 dryers (between 72 four and five bedroomed flats) located in the basement of the building which is a fair walk. The minimum top up on the £3 laundry card you have to by is £5 and the a wash is £2.50 whilst a dry is £1 (although one dry is not enough to dry your clothes unless it is a small load). If you have any issues with your flat etc the management staff are very rude and arrogant. There has already been a group made by the tenants of 13/14 year criticising the accommodation. The final straw with this place was last week for us a flat, we went down to the office and had a full blown argument with the management staff. We were aggressively shouted at, called 'stupid idiots' and shrugged off. All of this happened whilst two potential tenants were sat waiting for a viewing. We took the opportunity to inform them of pretty much everything that has been said in this message, whilst another tenant (whom we did not know) was waiting to be seen about another issue; she nodded her head and also gave her own input to the two potential tenants. A few days later management came round to inspect our flat (unannounced as always) and attempted to resolve the situation of the bugs. Shortly after they sent us an invoice for £218 stating that this would be the cost for them to deep clean the flat and have pest control come round and exterminate any living bugs in the property. They blamed the problem on us hence the reason for the invoice. Little did they know we took photos and videos of the flat dated from when we moved in proving that in fact all of these insects arrived a long time ago. We are currently in contact with a unipol solicitor (although we are unsure how far this will go as Eldon Court and Northend Mangement are not Unipol accredited after being kicked out years ago); hoping for some way to have this place boycotted by every student that arrives in Leeds. It is a disgrace and it has ruined my final year at University. So please let this be advice 'DO NOT MOVE INTO ELDON COURT'.

I am so glad I've seen this!
I went to the Leeds accommodation viewing and my father was attracted to the cheap cost and closeness to the university and so we agreed to take a look around. I was very skeptical something just didn't feel right. We were showed around by a man who hardly spoke any English and he did not seem enthusiastic at all! I did not feel comfortable at all, and oh the man at the desk forced me to look at the 'state of the art cinema' lool It was just a small flat screen tv with a row of chairs :colonhash:

I think it's ridiculous:mad: I wish I had seen this earlier so I could have given them a piece of my mind!! Good luck (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Wow...that's insane.
Omg I just googled silverfish :unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::hmpf::erm:
I'm tingling all over I wish I didn't do that :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
The Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 Section 8 states as follows: The landlord, or a person authorised by him in writing, may at reasonable times of the day, on giving 24 hours’ notice in writing to the tenant or occupier, enter premises to which this section applies for the purpose of viewing their state and condition.

Take that to the building management and see what they make of it. Also take it to the University, I'm sure they will have your back if it becomes a legal issue.
Reply 6
Original post by Procrastinator13
Omg I just googled silverfish :unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::unimpressed::hmpf::erm:
I'm tingling all over I wish I didn't do that :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha me too
Reply 7
I live at eldon court at the moment just wanted to add a few points. When I moved in my room it was dirty and infested with spiders silverfish and roaches. I complained but nothing was cleaned. I actually cried myself to sleep. it took me a whole day to clean everything One night a couple of people got stuck in the lift between two different floors I called the emergency number and no one picked up I tried again and the phone had been switched off. The fire fighters couldnt find the lift motors so it took them about 2 hours to get the people out of the lift. Another time the flat opposed were smoking weed and the fire alarms had set off. They kept ringing for about 3 hours I called the emergency number no one picked up tried again and it was switched off. This was the night before my exam so I was really angry. My toilets flush gets stuck everytime I flush and I have asked 3 times for it to be replaced however it still hasnt been replaced. The one positive thing about eldon court is its closeness to the uni. I am definitely getting a studio flat near the uni next year
Reply 8
I am in my final year at uni. I moved out of Eldon Court last week.... today when i went to give them their keys i saw four cats playing around without them doing thing to them. I honestly cannot believe I stayed in Eldon for 6 months. I personally reported them to the university and Unipol and I even begged the University to send a general broadcast message to students not to rent a flat at Eldon. Unfortunately, they can get in trouble if they do that.
The only good thing is that they are very close to uni, but what is closeness to uni without comfort. My former flat mate had 2 resits because light and internet went off a day before she could turn in her work and they didn't do anything about it at all.
We have to do something to stop students from falling into this trap.
I am very very upset about the state of things at Eldon.
Reply 9
Original post by eldoublee1

I was charged 252 pounds. 25 pounds for unblocking my toilet, 35 pounds for a call out outside office hours which wasn't by me and 150 for a spoilt hob. This was what frustrated me and I felt I had had enough and I just had to move out.
Reply 10
Original post by Koyin
I was charged 252 pounds. 25 pounds for unblocking my toilet, 35 pounds for a call out outside office hours which wasn't by me and 150 for a spoilt hob. This was what frustrated me and I felt I had had enough and I just had to move out.

How did you go about moving out last week? I have had numerous problems with the silverfish in my room it's actually disgusting I need out it's putting me down so much and giving me sleepless nights after finding them in my bedding!!! And it Deffo was silverfish not bed bugs.

I'm worried about the contract being until July, how did you go about moving out?! HELPPP ������������������
Reply 11
It was really difficult for me to leave. They gave me two options; pay up the remaining part of the rent or getting a replacement. Luckily, someone else needed a room urgently so i gave the rrom to her.
I think you should start house hunting for a new place preferably university accommodation and also start advertising your room.
Reply 12
I just saw this thread and have already paid my deposit to eldon. I have not yet signed the contract though ( I believe contract is different from the booking form). I have previously spoke to the flat holders i was looking at (Flat 36) and they told me that they are happily staying at the location with no problems. What do you guys suggest? I cant seem to find a decent place with such a good value. I am really tig on budget and eldon just seems attractive to be so near to school and offering such a great deal. I am really unsure about the living standards though.
Original post by DiddyDec
The Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 Section 8 states as follows: The landlord, or a person authorised by him in writing, may at reasonable times of the day, on giving 24 hours’ notice in writing to the tenant or occupier, enter premises to which this section applies for the purpose of viewing their state and condition.

Take that to the building management and see what they make of it. Also take it to the University, I'm sure they will have your back if it becomes a legal issue.

are they tenants or licencees ?

This is an important distinction ...
Original post by zippyRN
are they tenants or licencees ?

This is an important distinction ...

I would assume tenants, as licencees have **** all rights to anything.

If they are licencess then they are all totally ****ed.
Original post by DiddyDec
I would assume tenants, as licencees have **** all rights to anything.

If they are licencess then they are all totally ****ed.

which is why Halls whether university or private tend to operate on licences ...
Original post by Procrastinator13
I am so glad I've seen this!
I went to the Leeds accommodation viewing and my father was attracted to the cheap cost and closeness to the university and so we agreed to take a look around. I was very skeptical something just didn't feel right. We were showed around by a man who hardly spoke any English and he did not seem enthusiastic at all! I did not feel comfortable at all, and oh the man at the desk forced me to look at the 'state of the art cinema' lool It was just a small flat screen tv with a row of chairs :colonhash:

I think it's ridiculous:mad: I wish I had seen this earlier so I could have given them a piece of my mind!! Good luck (:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am moving out end of JUNE 2016.. I can't agree more with the review.

BUGS AND SILVERFISH everywhere.. the amount of money u need to spend to get rid of them is costly and it DOESNT WORK..

The place HAS NOT improved..Stayed at the LOWER GROUND FLOOR. There are BUGS and SILVERFISH everywhere.. U can look review it by looking at their curtains.. In winter, it is REALLY COLD..the heater is not warm enough even if u sit in front of it. And although it says utilities are included, BE PREPARED if u exceed the £10 per month. If it exceeds, the electricity get CUT OFF, and your food in the FRIDGE will go bad..

If you can find another place, please look for another one. DO NOT MOVE INTO ELDON UNLESS YOU WANT TO LIVE WITH BUGS and SILVERFISH.. u can judge by the look of the curtains. GOshh... if i would have come across here, I would not have moved in.. really regret moving in..
Original post by oEkkoxy
I just saw this thread and have already paid my deposit to eldon. I have not yet signed the contract though ( I believe contract is different from the booking form). I have previously spoke to the flat holders i was looking at (Flat 36) and they told me that they are happily staying at the location with no problems. What do you guys suggest? I cant seem to find a decent place with such a good value. I am really tig on budget and eldon just seems attractive to be so near to school and offering such a great deal. I am really unsure about the living standards though.

What is said in the thread are all true, and it has not improved. Thank God my contract ends this JUNE 2016. Wanted to move out earlier but could not because the management will make you pay for TILL THE LAST DAY OF YOUR CONTRACT (even if you moved out earlier).

only good is it is near the university.. BUT, if u can live with the BUGS and SILVERFISH and RISK your food in the fridge gets bad due to the cutting off coz the £10 per month allocation for electricity is finished.

IF YOU HAVENT MOVED IN, DONT...
Reply 18
Original post by alice5555
What is said in the thread are all true, and it has not improved. Thank God my contract ends this JUNE 2016. Wanted to move out earlier but could not because the management will make you pay for TILL THE LAST DAY OF YOUR CONTRACT (even if you moved out earlier).

only good is it is near the university.. BUT, if u can live with the BUGS and SILVERFISH and RISK your food in the fridge gets bad due to the cutting off coz the £10 per month allocation for electricity is finished.

IF YOU HAVENT MOVED IN, DONT...

Can't you sue him for bad management? I believe the contract can be ceased if the living conditions can not be met. And you can even evoke you can't concentrate in your studies with the state of your accommodation - make the exposition to Leeds Uni and they might help you!
Original post by JCampos
Can't you sue him for bad management? I believe the contract can be ceased if the living conditions can not be met. And you can even evoke you can't concentrate in your studies with the state of your accommodation - make the exposition to Leeds Uni and they might help you!

sueing involves money and time.. i dont think any student will have the time to do that..
i wish you all the best..

Quick Reply

Latest