The Student Room Group

What's a reason to not be an organ donor?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Nope. My body, my organs. Some people might feel inclined but not me.
Reply 81
Original post by Little Boots
actually, i think i do have the right to your organs. well, not me. but people who need them? absolutely. absolutely 100%. do you not want to be used after you're already dead to save lives? cry some more little girl, i don't give a ****. rest with dignity? you'll rot in the ground you scum, and get eaten by worms. rather not save anyone's life on your way out? that's fine. but you shouldn't have that choice. frankly, i'd rather you be killed now and we could have them extra fresh. you can keep the brain, it doesn't seem like a particularly good one.

The fact that you think people should be presumed to want to give their organs to other people is absolutely ridiculous. And what a ridiculously un-level headed post from you.
Reply 82
Original post by SilverstarDJ
I don't see why everyone wouldn't have the opportunity to opt out? You don't need to be in contact with the health service to opt in or out - you can do it online, telephone or post. If you have lived abroad then it's up to you to opt out if you come to the UK.

I think an opt-out system is great because all too often people don't sign up (thinking they won't die soon) or don't talk to family about their wishes (perhaps the most important part whether you're in or out - people don't like talking about morbid things). There is a HUGE shortage of organs and I think this would help. It's been implemented in other countries and so long as you can freely opt out then that seems fair enough.

Organ donation is a has only been developed recently, of course it wouldn't be in the bible directly!

First source is not a very trustworthy source! Anyone could have written that and it's sensationalised. Brain death IS a real thing (they argue it isn't) and I say this as a vet student - if your brain is no longer functioning or "alive" then of course you aren't going to wake up even if a life support machine is keeping the rest of your body alive.

In the second link it seems like there were mistakes carried out in the patient's care. Luckily it seems such cases are incredibly rare. I don't think you could extrapolate such mistakes as being deliberate or not. Perhaps this was no more than human error rather than truly malicious attempts.

I don't think doctors would risk their careers and even their own lives from "killing" patients for organ donation. I don't believe they get money from the NHS for every kidney they harvest... so I don't see how they could possible do this to get money.

It's a matter of principles and it should never be an opt out system.
Reply 83
Original post by MrKappa
How can they take away your right to choose if you have the right to opt out?

The most backwards response of all time.
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
:confused: Why do people have the option to opt-out?

dono, mabe they just dont realise how important it is to others :confused:
Reply 85
I don't see a really good reason NOT to sign up for organ donation. Most reasons include religion, squeamishness, superstition and myth. It's pretty sad. I'm also sure that most of the people saying no would happily accept an organ if they were in the need of one. I know I would, and that's mostly why I decided to sign up for it.
Original post by AstroNandos
I think by default you should be a donor, and should have to opt out If you want to. I mean, your lungs aren't a lot of use when you're dead.

I'm guessing it could be against some religions to donate though.

Sacrificing other people's lives for the potential happiness of an imaginary friend. How refreshing.
Original post by yo radical one
Because the state doesn't own my body

And they still won't. They don't get your organs and sell them.
Original post by HeyFromNY_USA
God gave it to you for a reason?

And the organ donor business is VERY corrupt. :closedeyes:

God didn't give you a life to help other people? :confused:
Original post by MrKappa
I don't see what donating organs has got to do with the state owning your body.

It doesn't. But apparently it's a rep magnet.
I think being a selfish, horrible **** is the only reason.
Reply 91
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
:confused: Why do people have the option to opt-out?

Religious reasons, some people just don't like the idea, also if said person has a condition which could be transfered through organ donation they tend to opt out
Original post by AlphaNick
Because perhaps we don't want to be cut open and have to have a long-term scar on our body... which prevents us from doing some heavy-lifting tasks, etc, in the short term.

Most people are talking donating your organs after you die.
Original post by GeorgeBuxey94
Being diabetic - same with giving blood. Otherwise I deffo would

Then yours will not be collected. Having the willingness to donate doesn't mean someone must take it.
Original post by redferry
I opted out of donating my eyes because I'm not sure a weird eyeless corpse at a funeral is that nice for others. Plus my eyes are really ****. No one would want them anyway.

If they are so **** why would you want people to look at them at your funeral?
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
My reason is simple - I'd only register as an organ donor if I was able to produce a 'blacklist' of people I don't want to receive my organs, for example paedophiles, rapists etc.

Do you withhold from paying tax until they have a blacklist for you?
Original post by EarthlingyThingy
It should be compulsory.

I'm a donor and unlike blood donation;despite it being a more pressing requirement, shouldn't put people off. Thus, blood donation should remain opt-in, but encouragement should be placed on opting-in... I don't know why I get so ill at the process of giving blood, so don't voluntarily. I'm seeking a 'cure' for that... As it's not right of me to be squeamish.

But I'm an all-in organ donor and have been for years. I'm 23.

If someone can explain to me why organ donation is to be squeamish about and prove me a hypocrite, I'll apologise. But I don't see why it shouldn't be compulsory. Religion isn't an excuse to be irrational.

I thought you were 67.
Original post by clh_hilary
I thought you were 67.

Sorry, who are you?
Original post by EarthlingyThingy
Sorry, who are you?

Your financé. :confused:
Original post by Bequester
The most backwards response of all time.

Don't be so hard on yourself brah.

Quick Reply