what was your score?
Reply 2
Original post by Lokiofasgard
what was your score?

Sorry, just seeing this now :L

I got 33/50

If I get 90% in all 3 tests is an A*/A possible
Reply 3
Yeah it should be. Although they would need to be strong/high A*'s.
Reply 4
Well maths isn't my forte but I think 90% in all the exams would give you 84% overall which I believe should be an A*
Reply 5
I hate to break it to you but if you got a C, that is between 60-70 UMS points. An A* requires 360 UMS points so about 90 per component. If you got the lower end of a C youre gonna need to max out in UMS for every test to get the 300 to make 360. This means about 50+ marks on each paper to be safe
Reply 6
Thank you everyone, I'm working hard and revising now for physics! Must get an A* :smile:
Reply 7
Sorry to come in late, but the way it normally works, all science GCSEs are made up of 400 UMS points.

Where EACH module is worth 100 UMS and each grade is worth the following:

100 - Full UMS
90 - A*
80 - A
70 - B
60 - C
50 - D
40 - E

So, in your situation, you got a C, for this sake, by last years boundary that is 67 UMS.
To get an A* overall, you need 90 * 4 = 360/400 UMS

So, with the C banked, from the other exams you will need 293 points overall, which is an average of (310/3): 97 points per exam:

i.e. You will need to get an A* in each other of the other modules..
The short answer is 'technically yes but probably not'. In the worst case scenario that you just scraped a C (i.e. 60% UMS) then you would need 100% in all the other exams to get an A* overall. In the best case scenario where you're at the top end of a C (i.e 69% UMS) then you would need an average of 96% (UMS) across your other exams. So it is technically possible for you to get an A* overall but it's going to be extremely difficult and I really wouldn't expect an A* if I were you since getting such a high mark is much more difficult than simply getting an A*.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Have you not been given the opportunity to redo it and do a different paper? I know a few at my school were if they got like Cs/Ds
Reply 10
Original post by Lottie_
Have you not been given the opportunity to redo it and do a different paper? I know a few at my school were if they got like Cs/Ds

Well for Biology, everyone got D's at first so we did it again and I got a B.
In Chemistry about 25% got lower than expected, including me, I got a C. I did it again and got an A!
For Physics, most people did okay..... some classes got a chance not mine
Reply 11
Original post by xoflower
Well for Biology, everyone got D's at first so we did it again and I got a B.
In Chemistry about 25% got lower than expected, including me, I got a C. I did it again and got an A!
For Physics, most people did okay..... some classes got a chance not mine

Well that's good that you got to do the others again, seems a bit unfair about physics is there a different teacher you could speak to about it?
Reply 12
Haha, we're in opposites! I got A somehow 0.0
And I honestly don't know anything about C1, C2, or C3!
What did you get in physics then? I am curious to know as I just got a C in my chemistry ISA and I want an A*
Original post by stressedout123
What did you get in physics then? I am curious to know as I just got a C in my chemistry ISA and I want an A*

Hey, you probably won't get many responses from these users because this thread is around 2 years old now. If you want to make a post on this topic or get some help with working out your marks, please make a new thread where other users will be able to help :smile:

Thread closed.

Latest