The Student Room Group

What to do about utility bills when moving in later than tenancy starts?

My friends and I who have a house, starting tenancy in july, want to move into the house in september nearer to uni starting.

We're really confused about what to do with utility bills over summer. Do we need to set them up in july, or can we leave them until september? It says in the contract we need to let the providers know about the change of tenants as soon as our tenancy starts. But does that means we have to set them up then...?

Help!
Original post by HiiThereHannah
My friends and I who have a house, starting tenancy in july, want to move into the house in september nearer to uni starting.

We're really confused about what to do with utility bills over summer. Do we need to set them up in july, or can we leave them until september? It says in the contract we need to let the providers know about the change of tenants as soon as our tenancy starts. But does that means we have to set them up then...?

Help!

You're responsible for the bills from the first day of the tenancy, regardless of when you move in. This will mean that you have to pay for any water (if you're not metered) plus standing charges. I would also advise you to get the ball rolling with regards to internet, because getting it set up at the start of the year can be annoyingly long process (it took >1 month for me this year).

Ring them up at the start of the tenancy. For water, there's only one supplier in each region. For gas and electricity, ring up one company and ask if you're with them. If you're not with them, they should be able to tell you who you are with.

And don't forget to switch to a cheaper gas and electricity supplier! I saved the best part of a grand in second year by switching.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending