The Student Room Group

Upcoming Psychology WJEC Exams- PY2

Hi all,

as our exams are coming closer and closer (and with a PY2 mock next week :frown: ) how are you all coping and preparing for your Psychology exams?

Have you got the 'cat in the bag' or is it more like 'cat in the wheeliebin'?

EDIT: will be posting tips soon if anyone needs them and help is also provided :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

bump
Reply 2
Has anyone got any educated predictions about what core studies are likely to come up for each question ? I'm hoping that Asch or Milgram come up for one of the first 3 questions :wink:
Original post by adaxboy
Has anyone got any educated predictions about what core studies are likely to come up for each question ? I'm hoping that Asch or Milgram come up for one of the first 3 questions :wink:

I've asked a couple of teachers for predictions but they've said the same thing, it's totally random, no one knows what's gonna come up.
I hope anything but Rahe et al, absolutely hate it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I'm pretty sure Rahe came up for Aims and Context in June 2013 and then again for Findings and Conclusions in January 2014 for the y13 retake so I doubt rahe will come up this year but then again anything is possible.
Original post by adaxboy
I'm pretty sure Rahe came up for Aims and Context in June 2013 and then again for Findings and Conclusions in January 2014 for the y13 retake so I doubt rahe will come up this year but then again anything is possible.

It's completely random! Some haven't even come up yet, how are you revising for PY2? Hat you learnt any studies yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by EverybodyHertz
It's completely random! Some haven't even come up yet, how are you revising for PY2? Hat you learnt any studies yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have written out responses for the first 8 studies we did in class. To revise I just read my notes and then read my answers out loud until I can consistently remember the full answer. I have learnt Asch, Milgram, L+P and G+G so far and I'm planning to have learnt 8 by the end of the Easter half term. I think we do the final 2 studies after half term. How are you revising? Are you coping with all the statistics/numbers?
Original post by adaxboy
I have written out responses for the first 8 studies we did in class. To revise I just read my notes and then read my answers out loud until I can consistently remember the full answer. I have learnt Asch, Milgram, L+P and G+G so far and I'm planning to have learnt 8 by the end of the Easter half term. I think we do the final 2 studies after half term. How are you revising? Are you coping with all the statistics/numbers?

Just got 2 more studies left to make notes on, l+r and g+g then I'm all set, I've finished my course just have to write up my methodologies and critical assessments for all of them and revise! I've been teaching couple of classmates so I've managed to learn an essay plan and like 5 studies.
Write out the essay, read aloud, skim and make notes on what you remember, the old school read, cover right haha.. The numbers are not too hard to remember, as long as you can put the right ones in the right places.
Reading before you sleep and when you wake up helps me remember too, thanks for asking!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by adaxboy

Where did you find the 2014 January paper? I thought they stopped all January exams now?
I really need help with the findings and conclusions! So many numbers my brain hasn't got the capacity!
Original post by faizayasmin
I really need help with the findings and conclusions! So many numbers my brain hasn't got the capacity!

You could try to clump numbers together to try and remember them or come up with funny acronyms.
The loci method really helps too; you assign something you want to remember with something your familiar with for example assigning each finger with a specific number.

Do you know your mobile number by heart? Say it aloud... How does it sound?
You're saying the numbers in groups aren't you :tongue:.
3 is the magic number, your brain finds it easier to memorise information in groups, hence why when startling out playing guitar you learn 3 chords at a time.

Look into different methods of memorising information, everyone's different you just gotta find the method which fits for you, after all this exams pretty though!

P.S. you don't need to remember dates and researches for a+c, methodology and c+a (you can use the word researcher), only for procedures and f+c; I asked my teacher and it saved my life!
:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
One question: how many p's were there in Rahe's study? In one book it says 2684 and the other it says 2664. I'm confused...

Do we have to be very accurate? Does it matter?
Original post by ~amethyst~
One question: how many p's were there in Rahe's study? In one book it says 2684 and the other it says 2664. I'm confused...

Do we have to be very accurate? Does it matter?

There were 2664 participants... I avoid using books and use the original article especially for the procedures and findings and conclusions. (Double check with original article!)

According to the mark scheme, you must be clear, accurate and coherent particularly within the procedures and findings and conclusions. You need to include, percentages, numbers, correlation coefficients etc. to get into at least the 7-9 band border lining 10-12.
Other than that, as long as you include a range and partially depth essays for the rest, you'll be within the 7-9 band.

The mark scheme and examiners reports is the bible for psychology and excluding this, your essay should flow and avoid the common 'listing' problem encountered by most students as this is where I've noticed they loose most marks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
There were 2664 participants... I avoid using books and use the original article especially for the procedures and findings and conclusions. (Double check with original article!)

According to the mark scheme, you must be clear, accurate and coherent particularly within the procedures and findings and conclusions. You need to include, percentages, numbers, correlation coefficients etc. to get into at least the 7-9 band border lining 10-12.
Other than that, as long as you include a range and partially depth essays for the rest, you'll be within the 7-9 band.

The mark scheme and examiners reports is the bible for psychology and excluding this, your essay should flow and avoid the common 'listing' problem encountered by most students as this is where I've noticed they loose most marks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh ok, so i'll lose marks if I said 2684? that's what my teacher gave us but you say it's 2664...where did you find that information just to check :P and where you mentioned common listing, thought we could list but in full sentences for the procedures and findings?

So how is your revision going? I'm panicking atm because I haven't properly looked at psychology and have been studying everything else. Are you doing PY1 too? It's so soon an I haven't learned everything off by heart...
Original post by ~amethyst~
Ahh ok, so i'll lose marks if I said 2684? that's what my teacher gave us but you say it's 2664...where did you find that information just to check :P and where you mentioned common listing, thought we could list but in full sentences for the procedures and findings?

So how is your revision going? I'm panicking atm because I haven't properly looked at psychology and have been studying everything else. Are you doing PY1 too? It's so soon an I haven't learned everything off by heart...

2684 are the total number of participants, I've checked around, asked friends and got really weird numbers but here's the original article:
"2463 navy enlisted men, 125 navy officers and 96 marine enlisted personnel" :colondollar:
Don't know where I got my numbers from :I
For the procedures and findings and conclusions, you can round up or down to the nearest whole number if its too hard to remember, you'll still be credited but the key part is that you need to be prepared with to the point detail, this exam is pretty touch.
(I asked a teacher couple months back)

And by common listings I meant especially in PY1, where in the therapy questions, you write a list like essays, I've marked a couple and they just don't seem right, even though they have the right information but for PY2, we can't escape it so yeah, full sentences.
I'd give an example but... :tongue:

Think we're all in the same boat D: done all my essays for both units just need to revise them :redface:
Is it just me or are our AS exams really early? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
guys i am actually freaking out
i don't feel like i know enough for Buss, Asch and Rahe
Original post by faizayasmin
guys i am actually freaking out
i don't feel like i know enough for Buss, Asch and Rahe

What I actually think everyone needs (even the ex-psychology students recommend so) is an essay plan.
Roughly think of what you're wanting to write, for example what I tell my group is that for an aims and context question you need at least 4 paragraphs:
3 contexts and an aim.
For instance, if I were to right a 12 marker on Asch, the first paragraph would be the background on conformity (1st context), the second paragraph (2nd context) Jennes's (however you spell that :tongue:) jellybean study and the third paragraph (context 3) would be Sherifs auto kinetic effect.
The last paragraphs would be the conclusion (aim) of Asch and how the previous had methodology issues.

Hope it helps... :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
I don't like the research methods part of PY2, I'm absolutely ****ting a brick house ngl
Original post by esjae
I don't like the research methods part of PY2, I'm absolutely ****ting a brick house ngl

Agreed! I'm bricking mansions tbh it's absolutely pants... As if PY2 wasn't long enough!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Agreed! I'm bricking mansions tbh it's absolutely pants... As if PY2 wasn't long enough!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've done notes on 7 out of ten studies but I'm still clueless :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending